• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Minox ZP5 tunneling question

LA260

Private
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2017
My ZP5 5-25 looks like this at 5x. The ring disappears on 5.2x or 5.3x. Is this what other ZP5 owners experiencence as well? I'm not sure if it's even tunneling. It's a clear ring vs what S&B tunneling looks like. Hard to take a good pic with a phone.
SmartSelect_20180704-114527_Gallery.png

I can't help you, as I don't have a minox, but I think that picture is pretty good for a cell phone! Would you mind taking a pic on mid power and high power for me? I'm very interested in playing with one of these scopes, and am trying to look into them as much as possible.

Is the reticle that washed out for you on 5X, or is it just the pic?

That ring is part of the reticle. I haven't noticed any significant amount of tunneling with my ZP5.

Last edited:
I can't help you, as I don't have a minox, but I think that picture is pretty good for a cell phone! Would you mind taking a pic on mid power and high power for me? I'm very interested in playing with one of these scopes, and am trying to look into them as much as possible.

Is the reticle that washed out for you on 5X, or is it just the pic?
The reticle looks more washed out in the pic than in real life but just like most ffp reticles its pretty useless at 5x in sunlight. When it's dark with illum on its better.
12x
SmartSelect_20180704-142346_Gallery.png

25x
SmartSelect_20180704-142212_Gallery.png

Thanks very much! That does look like a very fine reticle though, even at 25X. I really need to get behind one of these someday.

I'll be honest, for as long as I've owned my Minox, I don't think I've ever looked through it at 5X, but I agree with the poster above that said it's part of the reticle. On low mag, you can see the reticle "ring" on Schmidt and Bender and others as well. I also agree that I haven't seen much, if any, tunneling on my ZP5

same as above, ive owned my minox for 1+ yr, and i cant ever remember being on 5x...if i remember next time out, ill look

I have a ZP-5 that I got from CS Tactical, what a knowledgeable group they are. Great on the service too.

To date, I have not noticed any tunneling, but I haven't looked very hard at the lower magnifications. Usually I dial it up to 7-12 for most of my shooting.

I will look for it in the future. Anyway if there is a minor amount of tunneling from 5-5.3 X, it doesn't seem like a very big deal to me.

Reactions: CSTactical
We'd be happy to address any questions you have in regards to any item we have sold to our Customers, but to answer your question that is not tunneling. I don't believe the outer ring is noticeable to the naked eye at the proper eye relief on that scope. We will have some more in soon and will double check it when they come in. :cool:

Mine does that too, not tunneling though anything beyond the 5x and it is gone. Not sure if part of reticle or something but I never am at 5x normally.

To clarify mine is a defined black line not distortion or anything, perfectly circular as if a reticle only visible at very bottom any zoom even the slightest off 5 and it is gone.

Thanks very much! That does look like a very fine reticle though, even at 25X. I really need to get behind one of these someday.
The MR4 reticle is fantastic, I loved the SKMR but think the MR4 is actually better than the SKMR/3 style rets for my personal preference, the reason is the SKMR/3 reticle is so very thin that it would sometimes get "lost" in high contrast situations and the MR4 is slightly thicker making it easier for my eyes to see in more situations. Please understand this is "my" preference and YMMV applies here, both are fantastic reticles. Regarding the tunneling, like others before me, I have not noticed this effect with my ZP5 5-25. You can read my review about this scope in the link inside my signature below, that also has more pics of reticles, etc.