• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Monetary value of a Purple Heart?...

upjeeper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2005
Madison, WI
My grandmother's cousin recently passed away. I was willed her brother's Purple Heart as I'm the only person in the family who has served in the Military. Her brother was shot down in Europe during WWII. Unfortunately I don't know any more then that, but I'm researching.

Anyway, I recieved a letter from the estate lawyers yesterday. They valued the Purple Heart at $110. Doesn't matter to me if it's $1,000,000, priceless to me
But I was slightly offended at how little they valued it at.

Re: Monetary value of a Purple Heart?...

Monetary worth will always fall behind sentimental worth. There is not a huge market for military medals outside of MOHs and the like. Just keep it in perspective. The lawyers are getting paid to make a monetary valuation. Nothing less, nothing more.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Lots of great Americans beginning to pass away.

Josh

yup. I'm building a bar in the basement, it's going up on the wall in a nice shadow box

Probably works out in your favor that they priced it so low, less value = less taxes on the inheritance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: upjeeper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My grandmother's cousin recently passed away. I was willed her brother's Purple Heart as I'm the only person in the family who has served in the Military. Her brother was shot down in Europe during WWII. Unfortunately I don't know any more then that, but I'm researching.

Anyway, I recieved a letter from the estate lawyers yesterday. They valued the Purple Heart at $110. Doesn't matter to me if it's $1,000,000, priceless to me
But I was slightly offended at how little they valued it at. </div></div>

Sad, but that is probably high for the medal itself.
I'm glad that you value it so highly as I'm sure the rest of your family will do! It is an important part of your heritage, and our history. If I was you I would document it and place it in a scrap book for the youngins with a description of when and how it was earned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: upjeeper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yup. I'm building a bar in the basement, it's going up on the wall in a nice shadow box </div></div>

Good!!!