• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

More than 2 scope rings?

jmar

Supporter
Minuteman
May 16, 2017
Montana
Let's say you have 3-4 scope rings exactly the same dimensions. Would running an extra ring or two be a benefit or negligible?

generally i would guess no, if your 2 rings are good quality rings appropriate for the application.
i suppose it could be possible for 3-4 crappy rings to be "better" than 2 crappy rings.

Sako had the 3 ring mount when I had my trg.
Their new m10 which costs 10k is back to 2.
With their prices and knowledge, if 3 were better they would still use 3, and just charge more.
Plus I think scopes have come a long way, strength wise.
Almost all have one piece tubes etc

Heavy recoiling rifle with scope slippage may have been the only reason I could see. But there are ways of addressing that without adding more rings. That’s not what your dealing with. So no.

Hi,

There is a way to mount your scope into a set of rings as to where the scope cannot physically move in the ring; no matter what kind of recoil you have.
Multiple ring sets are back from the early 2000s time-frame of the ELR world, not the modern time-frame.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

There is a way to mount your scope into a set of rings as to where the scope cannot physically move in the ring; no matter what kind of recoil you have.
Multiple ring sets are back from the early 2000s time-frame of the ELR world, not the modern time-frame.

Sincerely,
Theis
So your saying no matter what rings you use your scope is going to move

Thank you for the advice everyone! The reason of my question was because I have been wanting a more solid accessory rail for a project I'm working on. It would be similar to this picture although it is just a rough rendering. It requires 3 rings or 4 if you want a rail on both sides of the optic. It may be overkill for holding the scope but what do you guys think about it being overkill for an accessory rail? Be honest I have dozens of designs and am not committed to this on at all. I also want to make guns with around the recoil force of a .50 BMG and even above as my main interest is ELR so it could always be dedicated to those rifles.

tridentmount.png

Well, I like that better than having a rail on a single ring cap.

However, I've never used or needed a rail on my rings. I'm not interested in NV, or red dots, and can't think of any other use?

Well, I like that better than having a rail on a single ring cap.

However, I've never used or needed a rail on my rings. I'm not interested in NV, or red dots, and can't think of any other use?
I designed it to mount a rangefinder/laser. Both things fairly large and heavy.

I too am worried about it catching on things and slicing up knuckles. But I don't know how else it could be made that it wouldn't though. The only other one like it on the market is the Badger and it looks just as bad if not worse. The reason for this is that the gun in question has no Rail space on the forend.
LRF-1.png

This is my inspiration for this project.

cheytac-2.jpg

Here's what I have so far, it is a clamp on style made by Weaver. It doesn't feel like very good quality and is too small for my application. It is the only other mount of this sort I could even find that is not an airsoft part. So That is why I am designing my own to suit my needs. Ignore the optic, it is just a temporary .50 rated scope I had laying around, In the end it will have a Nightforce.

20190814_100325.jpg

Here is another design I made without the 3 rings if you think that's goofy. This one has the benefit of being able to use any rings. But the issue is all the weight is on the optic when the other has zero force on the optic. The Badger mount is kind of an inbetween. I appreciate the feedback. This is just a side project of mine, it most likely won't be going anywhere for a few years. Perhaps the end doesn't justify the means, I tend to overthink things.

clampmount.png

He’s saying make something that attaches to the pic rail in front of the forward scope rings. It can have arms that come up around the scope tube that will attach to a picatinny rail that’s sits above the scope tube/objective bell. There is no weight or pressure on the scope rings as the rail will be elevated but put all the force on the rail on top of the receiver.

Let me know if I got that correct @AtomicRust

just buy a spuhr
they already have it figured out

look at the pics below
you cant hang more expensive components off a rifle than the pics below

or but the stomp mount

1565891752557.png

1565892029235.png

1565892119541.png

side note there should be a forum for "new ideas"
most of the threads start out with a very vague question
a few days down the road we actually find out that the OP is fishing for a market/product
not saying dont try and get good info and research
it would stop the secrete squirrel shit up front
and move the process along faster and more accurately

Hi,

How is this picture given as reference in original request...
1565891948406.png

Yet this picture is what "evidently" is the issue trying to be solved...
1565892006006.png

So, what exactly are you needing to mount to a rail interface?
And what exactly is the firearm in question that you are needing to mount said item onto rail interface?

Vigilance rifles offers a heat shroud with matching picatinny rail system on it for that EDM gun.

Sphur also has this mount option that you can damn near mount anything onto:
1565897680874.png

1565897713849.png

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry if I am being confusing and vague. It is not my intentions. Here's the rundown. It started out with me wanting a picatinny rail mounted on my optic. You see my Windrunner I posted is in the process of being turned into a Cheytac M200 Clone. Just like the picture I posted 'as my inspiration'. But since older parts of that sort are hard to come by I started looking for a modern ones of the same style. So I posted this thread here a few weeks ago in the appropriate section to see if anyone could help me find one: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/scope-mounted-picatinny-rail.6955454/

Well as you can see we weren't able to find the part I was looking for, only the Weaver which I bought and installed. I was not at all satisfied with it as it feels poorly made and is a bit small. So I had the idea to design my own. My first rendering was the one I posted that clamps on the optic, but something felt wrong to me about putting it right on the optic, and then I just thought of the 3 ring idea which completely avoids it touching the optic. Which lead me to posting this thread just to gauge feedback on if this was something ever done before or if there would be any downsides.

The gun I posted that looks like a modded AR-15 is completely unrelated to this idea. It was another one of my wacky gun design ideas I had a few years ago. It was actually what inspired my first post on this forum! https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/seeking-feedback-on-rifle-design.6424576/ I just used it as a referance as I already had it downloaded on my computer in Photoshop.

I don't want it to come off as me testing the water for a "product" or anything. When I say designs I mean just rough ideas I jotted down on paper or screwed around with in Photoshop. I didn't mean to sound overly official. This and all of me other projects if I made them are for purely personal use. I ask a lot of questions on this forum, most of the dumb but it's just because I have always had interests in firearm design and tinkering around with guns. I think it would be cool to start up a little firearm shop but I also thought about that 5 years ago and it never went anywhere. Just a hobbyist for now.

So to summarize, this thread was just me trying to figure out how stupid my 3 ring scope design is. Apparently very, lol. But I guess it has sidetracked into finding a mount for my Windrunner, which I'm perfectly fine with. I have never seen that Spuhr mount before it looks pretty badass. Both the photos you Brian and THEIS posted are essentially the early 2000's 'tacticool' look I am going for. I wanted to go for a real tactical aesthetic on my Windrunner like my M200 reference photo. This is my dream gun and it has a display in my room, I wanted to just kit it up. I likely won't be shooting it often as I heard mixed things about the .408 round.

Along with that Cheytac M200 photo here is another that is serving as inspiration for my build. If you can ID what the hell is going on in this picture you get a cookie. Never seen anything like it.
99e0b44a25aa236886a3f60fdfca93c1.jpg

Reactions: brianf
One oatmeal raisin cookie coming up. Freshly baked!

I should have been more clear though, cookie reward comes in a virtual format. Hopefully it will suffice. ;)

Oatmeal-Raisin-Cookies-copy.jpg

I likely won't be shooting it often as I heard mixed things about the .408 round.

Don't ever shoot the old brass rounds through your barrel or you'll have a sub 100 barrel life. (They are way too hard).
If this is a used one and you find that your accuracy is like minute of mountain, that's what happened.
Vigilance rifles can do repairs / parts on the rifle if you need.

How is this picture given as reference in original request...
View attachment 7130590

Yet this picture is what "evidently" is the issue trying to be solved...
View attachment 7130591

So, what exactly are you needing to mount to a rail interface?
And what exactly is the firearm in question that you are needing to mount said item onto rail interface?

Vigilance rifles offers a heat shroud with matching picatinny rail system on it for that EDM gun.

Sphur also has this mount option that you can damn near mount anything onto:
View attachment 7130685

Sincerely,
Theis
[/QUOTE]

I looked at this attachment back when I was trying to mount a NV optic onto my TRG-22 but the rail section was too short for my application. I don't think that .408 will play well with this attachment.

Spuhr mount.jpg

Hi,

@jmar
The last picture you posted was back before ring mounted phone holders and data card holders were popular. That exact picture was setup to test how well the ABC could be utilized while actually mounted to the rifle itself. The center of the ABC screen pretty much was perfectly centered with the scope turrets.

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Don't ever shoot the old brass rounds through your barrel or you'll have a sub 100 barrel life. (They are way too hard).
If this is a used one and you find that your accuracy is like minute of mountain, that's what happened.
Vigilance rifles can do repairs / parts on the rifle if you need.
Thanks for the heads up I heard about that before and it's one of the main things that has me worried. My Windrunner is reported to have about 80 rounds through and and it's an early one. So I'm hoping the barrel is not blown out. If only good ammo was ran through it what can I expect for a bbl life?

Hi,

@jmar
The last picture you posted was back before ring mounted phone holders and data card holders were popular. That exact picture was setup to test how well the ABC could be utilized while actually mounted to the rifle itself. The center of the ABC screen pretty much was perfectly centered with the scope turrets.

Sincerely,
Theis
Interesting, thanks again for the info! Always love learning old tidbits like that. I wondered whatever happened to that rifle and the prototype M200 I posted. I wonder if they will ever pop up one day as they sure are collectors items now. Would be neat just seeing HD photos since most of the old ones are so small. I'm going to try and match the paint of the recent one I posted when my builds all done.

If only good ammo was ran through it what can I expect for a bbl life?

I'm not sure on that as I sold mine shortly after the barrel was replaced (Back before EDM closed it's doors).
Bill Richie suggested that if you ran standard jacketed rounds & didn't push them too hard, you could have pretty good barrel life.
Copper rounds probably would be also better. It's just those original brass rounds were way too hard and people were trying to force them down the barrel with way too much pressure and so the barrel life was amazingly short.

It's a bit sad because the .408 CT had great potential but certain corporate entities really gave it a bad name with shoddy rifles, and the ammo was often way wrong etc.

If you need 3 rings... you need better rings. Plenty of other rail options out there that would be better and more mission specific.