• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report More videos: 1 Mile, 950yds, and offhand hits

Re: More videos: 1 Mile, 950yds, and offhand hits

Scotty,

I just got back to Minnesota tonight. It was great getting out there to shoot with you guys! And, thanks for getting those posted up so quick. Proof!, that I was there and did ring steel at mile. And a whole bunch at 1k. ...although I have to say you guys edged me pretty good.
wink.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scotty,

I just got back to Minnesota tonight. It was great getting out there to shoot with you guys! And, thanks for getting those posted up so quick. Proof!, that I was there and did ring steel at mile. And a whole bunch at 1k. ...although I have to say you guys edged me pretty good.
wink.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

</div></div>

Hey, you were on vacation, plenty of leeway there. Glad to have you out, it was a blast.
cool.gif

Those were some great videos, looked like a lot of fun in the making.
How much do you have in the camera setup? And are you watching it on a laptop in real time?
COOL
Miles

Great videos, thanks for sharing them.

Was it me or did it take forever for that 7mm-08 to get to the target in the 1 mile video?
laugh.gif

NICE!!! Was that on public land? Would love to buy a bunch of land to shoot on like that, awesome.

Great job as usual Scotty! Still working on getting my ass up there to shoot with ya.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: craig_m</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NICE!!! Was that on public land? Would love to buy a bunch of land to shoot on like that, awesome.</div></div>

All public, there is no shortage of that here in NV. This was simply one of thousands of places you could go do this at.

JF - yah, I know it's a long drive though. I've been down there a few times for work, haven't been able to work in a reciprocal visit myself!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the noobie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was it me or did it take forever for that 7mm-08 to get to the target in the 1 mile video?
laugh.gif

</div></div>

Just this side of it.... Actually, it may have been closer than you think. Chuck shot his 6.5 Creedmoor @ 78 MOA (about?) to get there. 23 mils is what he said. From a 100 yd. zero. I did the math and that was 82.8 MOA.

I used 79 MOA from a 300 yd. zero for the JLK 168's, and 75 MOA with the Berger 180's. 100-300 difference is 4.25 MOA.
So, my 168's were taking 84 MOA (23.33 mil) and my 180's were taking 79 moa (21.94 mil). I started with the 180's but due to a mental error in how much I should be using I was running low on them. I switched to the 168's because I had the most of them.
After making the correction and testing the 180's they were going way high. The difference was exactly one tick mark on my 12-42 NF dialed all the way down to 12x (4 MOA). In retrospect this would have been done easier with my USO ST-10 with the MOA reticle. Not enough travel in that particular NF scope. The reticle saved me.

Anyhow, I had enough time to pull the trigger (couldn't watch trace as I was scrunched too low), recover, move down to the target, and watch the splash a couple seconds later.

Edit:

I spoke with Chuck on the phone tonight and he said he used actually 21.5 mils to get on target. So, it's pretty clear the 6.5 Creedmoor, using 123's, is beating the 7mm-08 180's and 168's for elevation. We didn't have enough wind (let alone my skill in the wind) to show what difference that would have made.
So, it still boils down to 77.5 MOA on the 6.5 Creedmoor to 79 and 84 MOA with the heavier 7mm bullets. That at least is out of an about equal case. So, it's about as close an 'apples to apples/oranges to oranges' comparison you could make. But like I said, we weren't dealing with bad winds or, not really good windshooters like me, to make that side of it an issue.

It is pretty cool to listen to that Creedmoor go under the sound barrier and then make a hit. You get sound before the hit, then the hit, then the muzzle blast. Great shooting. 33% offhand at 950!

ScottyS, I also have a wireless cam set up. What camera are you using?

Thanks, Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GreatGonzo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is pretty cool to listen to that Creedmoor go under the sound barrier and then make a hit. You get sound before the hit, then the hit, then the muzzle blast. Great shooting. 33% offhand at 950!</div></div>

It's not going under the sound barrier. Listen and you will hear the 'snap' then see the hit on the target. This is perfect on his first hit. It's a little closer with my 7mm-08. You can just hear the 'snap' right before the bullet hits the steel. Almost like one sound. The 6.5 Creedmoor is still moving right along over the speed of sound.

Here are some stills of the days events:

L-Scotty spotting, R-Charlie on Scotty's .50
DSC_0473.jpg

The target. Which, you can see a .50 hit just to the right of:
DSC_0475.jpg
{corrected}
whistle.gif

Chuck on Scotty's .50
DSC_0482.jpg

Me on Scotty's .50
DSC_0485.jpg

Matt before the shot on his LAR .50
DSC_0497.jpg

Matt comin' back down from recoil on his LAR .50
DSC_0498.jpg

Everbody but me...somebody's gotta take the picture.
DSC_0495.jpg

All in all the day was definitely one of the best shooting days I've ever had. Great day, great guys to be shooting with. On the 950, we finished the day lighting that thing up like a pinball machine!

Nice photos Todd, thanks for taking them. I still need to finish the video of the offhand 50 shooting, and I think I got your last few hits at 950 on there too. Gonna be a while, I'm back to work, but I'll let you know when it gets done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are some stills of the days events:

Everbody but me...somebody's gotta take the picture.
DSC_0495.jpg

All in all the day was definitely one of the best shooting days I've ever had. Great day, great guys to be shooting with. On the 950, we finished the day lighting that thing up like a pinball machine!</div></div>

You said I should've taken some more, I see now why stills are so good. They don't compare in the "action" shots like when Chuck 'abused' his target. But they do catch things like the mountain behind you. Chuck was suggesting we double up on quads and ride to the top of that for our 'inclined' competition. Just looking at that and thinking made me pucker a bit. I'm sure getting out to the East side of the state would make me a bit more squeamish still...
shocked.gif
eek.gif
grin.gif
. Once I'm used to steep stuff I'm okay with it again. A couple of falls in 'steep terrain' made me 'not regular' when it comes to heights. My first inclination is to take (remain in) the safe route(zone). Then when everyone else is having fun so why shouldn't I? My chicken-heartedness goes away.

You guys don't know how lucky you are to have such great places to shoot. I live in the wrong part of the country.