• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mosin Nagants

Crowbag

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2022
PA
This maybe belongs in Vintage but ... how did the price of Mosin's rocket up from $79 on Classic Firearms to $900 on gun broker. they're not worth that much, they're kinda crap, same thing for Enfield's they're at least better built but prices for those are silly now too.

Apparently there are some that are considered “desirable”, or “collectible”.

I’ve been looking at gunbroker for the last 6 months or so. Never really did before.
I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s a weird place. It’s an insane asylum where everything is rare, but with good pictures.

There is a lot of Mosin love out there, I just don’t have any. To each his own….

I bought one around 2008 when I legally could purchase my own rifles for $90 at dunhams. I heard that they were selling for that much and thought the guy was crazy. That said, I've never been able to even sight the rifle in. I think the irons are bad lol

My Dad bought one packed in cosmoline for $60 20 years ago.

He proceeded to hand load for it and discovered it kicked like a mule and felt like garbage. Of course he bubba'd the bayonet off because it was a folding spike and why would he ever need it? Then he machined off the rear sight to mount a $50 BSA red dot that wouldn't hold zero.

He was about sick when I told him that it was worth $600+ as a factory rifle, but still about $100 with his bubba gunsmithing.

I'd guess this is the case with many of them. Supply of original quality and feature rifles is running dry. There's not much market for parts, and returning bubba's rifle to original is cost prohibitive even if you can find a smith that will work on it.

Only Mosin worth a shit is the M39.

I have one. Was originally built by Remmington during WW1 and somehow got into the Finn's hands. Refinished the stock myself with Finnish pine tar (which is debated to be the original but whatever, it came out looking lovely). Could use re-bluing and I don't shoot it much but they are much smoother than a standard Mosin, have better sights, have better wood, and are generally much better shooters.

At some point I'm probably just going to mount a rear sight replacing ring set and an LER scope for deer hunting.

supply and demand.

when you bring in a rifle and sell them in the 10's of thousands....prices are going to be cheap....

once they get bought up, turned into shitty sporters, and the supply dries up....the prices start to rise.

as a shooter, no, they arent worth the prices......as a collectable, thats apparently what theyre worth, as people are willing to pay for them.
Yep... they were shipped state side by the literal boat load for a while which made them cheap. Then everyone caught on to how cheap they were which led to everyone buying up the supply that was available. You use to be able to buy a rifle AND a 440 round spam can of surplus 7.62x54r for under $200.

Apparently there are some that are considered “desirable”, or “collectible”.
The "hex" receivers are generally of much higher quality. If memory serves, they ran until 1936 when they were replaced with the cylindrical receiver an overall quality started to go downhill. Tula and Izhevsk are the two most common Russian factories that made them but I believe there are others as well.

I’ve been looking at gunbroker for the last 6 months or so. Never really did before.
I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s a weird place. It’s an insane asylum where everything is rare, but with good pictures.
I don't think I have ever heard or read a truer statement in my life...

Only Mosin worth a shit is the M39.

I have one. Was originally built by Remmington during WW1 and somehow got into the Finn's hands. Refinished the stock myself with Finnish pine tar (which is debated to be the original but whatever, it came out looking lovely). Could use re-bluing and I don't shoot it much but they are much smoother than a standard Mosin, have better sights, have better wood, and are generally much better shooters.

At some point I'm probably just going to mount a rear sight replacing ring set and an LER scope for deer hunting.
Just had my M39 out last weekend. PPU, Brown Bear and Wolf all shot 2"-2.5" 5 shot groups into the same POI at 100 yards off a tank trap. That's fantastic as far I'm concerned. My Husqvarna M38 and K31 are more accurate, but something about taking a Russian turd and polishing the hell out of it really appeals to me.

Reactions: Charmingmander
This maybe belongs in Vintage but ... how did the price of Mosin's rocket up from $79 on Classic Firearms to $900 on gun broker. they're not worth that much, they're kinda crap, same thing for Enfield's they're at least better built but prices for those are silly now too.
Have you been paying attention to the economy or prices on anything at all in the last 3 years? Expensive Mosins aren't even the tip of the iceberg.

Reactions: Charmingmander