• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

How many of you have been hit in the head with one of these?

1714887645020.png

What's the cost................I remember buying a pack out of the same type of machine for 50 cents...............yea, I'm old........

I remember thirty cents. Three careful trimmed pennies worked.

I quit 17 APR 81. At the time, name brands were $2.19 per carton in the commissary. Think I recently saw a sign advertising seven bucks per pack.

What's the cost................I remember buying a pack out of the same type of machine for 50 cents...............yea, I'm old........

The ones I remember worked on quarters, cigs were 1.25 a pack in them. Yours must be a new modern type that takes bills or cards ? Chase aren't packs now like 15$ each now ? That's a lot of quarters.... Lol
It is an original one that only takes coins.
I'd say that it is just a novelty display since legally they can't sell cigarettes without verification of age. Each of the slots had different brands of cigarettes at varying quantities

Those roots are from a pear tree. 🍐 There are many different varieties. From the size of those roots, I suspect it is a rather small tree - either the 50 or 100 pear variety. The really large ones are known as 2400 pear trees.

Back in the 1990s, there were people called silent tree huggers. They were everywhere. You never knew about their passion, but cut the roots of a big pear tree and they’d come outside and be yelling and screaming at the guy operating the excavator or trencher.

Some businesses employed so many silent tree huggers that if you damaged one pear tree they’d have to send all their employees home. The workers were so traumatized by the loss of their beloved pear tree tthey were unable to work. This was long before they invented safe spaces and emotional support animals.

There were other reported cases of people protesting and suing for the loss of a giant pear tree.

Back in 1987, Mr. T inexplicably cut down more than 100 oak trees on his estate in Lake Forest, Illinois. The incident angered his neighbors, and it is now known as the Lake Forest Chainsaw Massacre. Had these 100+ trees been of the large pear varieties, Mr T would likely have been arrested.

Last edited:
I remember thirty cents. Three careful trimmed pennies worked.

I quit 17 APR 81. At the time, name brands were $2.19 per carton in the commissary. Think I recently saw a sign advertising seven bucks per pack.

Both my wife and myself smoked for 40+ years, about 3 years ago we decided to use a major surgery for me as a trigger to both quit cold turkey.
As it happened, the machine that goes "beep" while you are under stopped going "beep" for quite a while. I ended up in ICU for nearly a week for a knee replacement.
We both have not smoked since but occasionally I get the urge for a cigar to go with the Bourbon.

Both my wife and myself smoked for 40+ years, about 3 years ago we decided to use a major surgery for me as a trigger to both quit cold turkey.
As it happened, the machine that goes "beep" while you are under stopped going "beep" for quite a while. I ended up in ICU for nearly a week for a knee replacement.
We both have not smoked since but occasionally I get the urge for a cigar to go with the Bourbon.

Note to self: Never have knee replacement surgery.

Sort of like Richard Pryor did. His "Heart Attack" video. Skip to 06:10 for the "Beep" part. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Barneybdb and lash
Note to self: Never have knee replacement surgery.
Seriously though. My grandma had one done the She got the other done in short order. She said she would have done the first one sooner had she known how it easy it would be. That was many years ago. Probably 30-35. She is 102 now with those replacements that are almost as old as me.

MY mother an inveterate smoker ( 4 packs per day for 50 years)
I would ride my bike ot the corner store to buy a carton of Chesterfields for Ready......$2.00

MY mother an inveterate smoker ( 4 packs per day for 50 years)
I would ride my bike ot the corner store to buy a carton of Chesterfields for Ready......$2.00

My father had asked met to buy a pack of cigarettes for him while we were vacationing on a resort island with very religious/conservative values (or so I thought). Apparently, he was busy doing somethign and couldn't go himself. I think I might have been 12-13 at the time. The clerk looked at me and said, "Sorry... you need to be 16 to buy cigarettes, no matter who they're for."

Do they still "card" for cigarettes like they do for alcohol?

1970s for me. You put caps in them like a cap gun. Throw them in the air, when the hit something hard enough it would detonate the cap. Hours of fun and bruises. Not like getting hit by a clacker though.
Unfortunately the do not always land the right way down. The fins are also made of metal so the contraption had to go at quite a rate of speed to get a successful bang. Hence all the bruises and broken windows.