• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MST100 Interest?

Skunk

Amongst the Enemy
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2003
On gun…
Alright, Clone Fanatics, here it is, the thread you’ve been waiting for! This is the place to profess your interest in buying a MST100 (Not saying Unertl or USO) scope.

I had a lengthy phone call with John Williams III today regarding the possibility of having a run of scopes made. He is interested in completing the project provided there is commitment for the sale of fifty (50) of them. That commitment will probably be in the form of some kind of deposit.

The production will likely be a hundred (100) units, as machine shops don’t normally care to program machines and gear up to do less than that.

He is going to do some work in the next couple weeks to try to arrive at a price. However, with the cost of materials these days, he estimates that they could cost approximately $4000.00. Keep in mind that time is valuable, and his work to narrow the price of the scope down takes him away from what pays the bills. With that said, like the car sale websites say, no tire-kickers, please. I know that with the price up in the air there will hesitance and a somewhat tentative nature to this, but please be serious when you say you want X number of scopes.

I am not getting paid or compensated in any manner for any of this. I have simply created a thread for you guys to speak up. I’ll tell him what you all say. The way this thread turns out will determine whether the scopes get built or not.

So, have at it.

At a per unit cost of approximately $4000 each, who would buy a newly manufactured MST100 scope?

Last edited:
I have to think about that… but with smear stocks back on the menu… and rings….

I’m a Maybe for now. Sorry if that sounds like tire kicking.

But I have a serious weakness for all things USO and honestly the price is not bad!!

Need to get LL in the bandwagon promoting these.

Sirhr

I'd do it. If a down payment is necessary, then I may have to wait a few months. I am smack in the middle of another rifle project right now that is the focus of my funds.

I however will freely admit that an M40A1 is my grail rifle.

Reactions: Stevo86
The deposit... I get that and makes sense and I wouldn't do it any other way.

The next question to answer is time frame? If you have enough of a commitment and deposits for the orders... when would the run get started and a rough guess when it would be done?

I think that would help guys with they're commitment as well.

So when would the order have to be placed by?

When do you need a deposit received by and how much?

Then a ballpark figure on when it would be done? Not to back anyone in a corner as that happens to us but it would give prospective buyers a time frame if they need to come up with the money as well.

I'm not in for a scope, but he should definitely make a bunch of spare parts while he is at it!

The deposit... I get that and makes sense and I wouldn't do it any other way.

The next question to answer is time frame? If you have enough of a commitment and deposits for the orders... when would the run get started and a rough guess when it would be done?

I think that would help guys with they're commitment as well.

So when would the order have to be placed by?

When do you need a deposit received by and how much?

Then a ballpark figure on when it would be done? Not to back anyone in a corner as that happens to us but it would give prospective buyers a time frame if they need to come up with the money as well.
Good questions, Frank.

I’ll have to re-engage John for those particulars. I was not at USO when the latest run of scopes was built, so I don’t know how all that stuff was managed/communicated to the customer.

Right now, John is going to work on finding answers re: cost of material, machining, lens system, etc. All of that will play into final price and time to deliver. As of now, the feasibility of this is still in question.

@brianf you need one!!

Sirhr
It might go perfect with my m40a1 /sierra tac ops

When you guys have it all squared away spec wise/ quality I’ll prob get one.

What type of optical quality are we thinking of….what scope on the market would be in the same league. Lup, NF etc

Just a gut call is good enough

Thanks

Reactions: kthomas

What type of optical quality are we thinking of….what scope on the market would be in the same league. Lup, NF etc

Thanks

Anything JBW and his son did were optically magnificent! It’s one of the reasons I love them.

That said, coatings have come a long way in the 20+ years since some of the early Brea products were built. So it is possible that the optics might even be better — simply because the coatings are even more amazing now.

That said… total speculation on my part.

Sirhr

If we are going to speculate... maybe Chad/LRI would do the machine work for these. Get the process down and streamlined. One stop shop for everything.

Thanks

It's a great scope but to get the most out of your TacOps you want something with measured dials not BDC.

The MST-100 is wonky with the set parallax and BDC turret.

If you want to hit "somewhere" on a plate fast the MST is great. Dial distance, hold high or low, as well for wind and send it. Maybe you want to take a second and use fine adjust so you can hold center.

If you want to amaze everyone with little tiny groups over distance the MST can be confounding in it's a case of dial distance A than fine adjust a half MOA. Perhaps you will need to dial beyond distance and fine adjust down.

I absolutely love mine but it wouldn't be my choice to put on a rifle that is not a clone.

The exception to that would be perhaps a hunting rifle/truck rifle you need a scope built like a steel shithouse on. A little bit weighty but not a bad "the shit has hit the fan" scope.

I hope this happens even if it does lead to 100 threads asking "How do I zero my MST100"

Those were good days last time this happened, kids were little, watching them play baseball, getting a call from Lazy21 telling me I had to send the balance of payment.........little did we realize what was to come.

Last edited:
It's a great scope but to get the most out of your TacOps you want something with measured dials not BDC.

If you want to hit "somewhere" on a plate fast the MST is great. Dial distance, hold high or low, as well for wind and send it. Maybe you want to take a second and use fine adjust so you can hold center.

If you want to amaze everyone with little tiny groups over distance the MST can be confounding in it's a case of dial distance A than fine adjust a half MOA. Perhaps you will need to dial beyond distance and fine adjust down.

I absolutely love mine but it wouldn't be my choice to put on a rifle that is not a clone.

The exception to that would be perhaps a hunting rifle/truck rifle you need a scope built like a steel shithouse on. A little bit weighty but not a bad "the shit has hit the fan" scope.

I hope this happens even if it does lead to 100 threads asking "How do I zero my MST100"

Those were good days last time this happened, kids were little, watching them play baseball, getting a call from Lazy21 telling me I had to send the balance of payment.........little did we realize what was to come.
I would also add that the eye relief on the MST-100 is challenging to put it nicely.
DW

Reactions: Charlie112

That’s what I’ve read so far the zero is a mess and parallax is a set and forget at 300 yards and learn how to deal with fuzzy 100 yard targets

Thanks

i actually just swapped my Sn-3 1.8-10 over to my TacOps M40a1. Yes its not an MST-100, but its close enough in looks and should function better in a practical standpoint for me to use.

That’s what I’ve read so far the zero is a mess and parallax is a set and forget at 300 yards and learn how to deal with fuzzy 100 yard targets
It’s worth the time though. Set it and forget it. Then go kill s**t. When I pay attention I can still shoot .5” groups at 100. Not its purpose though. Learn the system and eliminate targets. Steel plates are fun.

Maybe we need to link this thread to the GDI qd mount one. It'll piss the cloners off and give me an alternate fish thumper when I'm not shooting!

Nah.

Set focus at the ocular like any scope. It’s a good clear view.

Mine is set at 300 for parallax but I zeroed at 100.

I got frustrated before a class not trusting my 300 yard zero, went to 100 and made tiny groups that gave me confidence.

I did have to adjust my ocular a little - eyes will change with health, hydration and time.

Nice thing about the zero feature on these it’s exact. Your not wishing you were between mil adjustments, you just have to finesse that cunt hair on the Allen wrench to where you are perfect.

FE952011-50FB-4450-AC2B-DCD3D15E55D1.jpeg

MST-100 at 300 yards with 20 rds 175 FGMM on a 4” circle.

It’s capable.

1E9202B2-8B4E-487C-AE29-58ED48687BF8.jpeg

Similiar rifle at 300 yards with a dialing parallax scope. 20 rds 175 FGMM.

84933812-1C8E-4972-A2E3-52870FAD3BE7.jpeg

E01C8495-DDA3-4B88-92EC-37103311AAE0.jpeg

That’s neither a slight or recommendation against an MST-100 just kind of an endorsement of it going on a clone or a special purpose rifle you are willing to give up some potential accuracy to gain speed and durability.

Last edited:
Once you understand that by pulling the objective cell out/forward you are adjusting the parallax to closer distance, and by pushing the objective cell in/rearward you are adjusting parallax to a farther distance, it’s not difficult.

Once you realize you can turn/adjust the center-screw in each knob and fire to confirm without having to lock/un-lock the set screws for each adjustment, zeroing the scope isn’t a huge deal either.

The ocular/eyepiece adjusts in the same manner most scopes do, just with a very fine thread.

I love these damn things.

Once you understand that by pulling the objective cell out/forward you are adjusting the parallax to closer distance, and by pushing the objective cell in/rearward you are adjusting parallax to a farther distance, it’s not difficult.

Once you realize you can turn/adjust the center-screw in each knob and fire to confirm without having to lock/un-lock the set screws for each adjustment, zeroing the scope isn’t a huge deal either.

The ocular/eyepiece adjusts in the same manner most scopes do, just with a very fine thread.

I love these damn things.
Wow, wait what! Can you try to explain the part about the center screw a bit better. Sorry, capt morgan has me a bit confused here.

Some of you fruity, artistic types (@Stevo86 @dirtybores) need to design a symbol/logo to go on the side of this thing.
Do the unertl logo. (To my knowledge it’s not copyright. And that stupid cocksucker hogsden can does it on his mst-150 to mst-100 conversions)

Hopefully this is spelled semi-good. I’m seeing double, after killing a bottle.

Good night

Oh God, i got so frustrated zeroing the damn thing.
I did mine the first time and went like a piece of cake with frosting on it. Simple pimple. Think I made like two adjustments for both and was done. Using box Hornady 168AMAX ammo and using the built in come ups on the elevation turret and was spot on the money at 400 yards.

Maybe I was just lucky!? :)

My scope is an original USMC Unertl.

What is the mst-150?

Seems like a higher mag variant.

Not much about them

I did mine the first time and went like a piece of cake with frosting on it. Simple pimple. Think I made like two adjustments for both and was done. Using box Hornady 168AMAX ammo and using the built in come ups on the elevation turret and was spot on the money at 400 yards.

I would turn it the screw the wrong direction. Multiple times 😆

• Haha
Reactions: Frank Green
I’m down like 4 flats on a Cadillac - would like to know more info on timeline, spec, and the like.

I thought mine was easy to sight in also. I was hitting a steel prairie dog popper a 600 with no problem.

Reactions: Frank Green