• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

muzzle brake

striped1

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2010
Howard Lake, MN
Anyone running a muzzle brake on their comp .22s? If so, what one and what has your experience been running it?

On a rifle that has no recoil to begin with? What the hell for?

Reactions: ...
On a rifle that has no recoil to begin with? What the hell for?
I would say minimal recoil, and to take that last little bit out that may be affecting accuracy. And maybe as a bit of a tuner. Ultimately I am trying to decide if I want to play with tuning via an APA Little Bastard or the Area 419 or to try an actual tuner. Looking for anyone who is ahead in that endeavor.

Just another thing to clean, and you will have to clean it otherwise the lead build-up is going to intrude into the brake's bore and start deflecting your rounds. If you want a tuner, get a dedicated tuner.

Reactions: striped1
I would say minimal recoil, and to take that last little bit out that may be affecting accuracy. And maybe as a bit of a tuner. Ultimately I am trying to decide if I want to play with tuning via an APA Little Bastard or the Area 419 or to try an actual tuner. Looking for anyone who is ahead in that endeavor.

A brake needs gas pressure and volume to work. Is there enough of both in a 22LR to make a difference?

I seriously doubt it.

As far as affecting accuracy, how many benchrest competitors use a brake?

LOL

there are lots of things limiting accuracy in your .22.......recoil aint one of them.....

hell, if recoil is limiting your accuracy in ANY cartridge......a muzzle brake isnt going to help you.....the problem is your fundamentals, not your equipment.

you should be able to pick up a .300 win mag and shoot it just as accurately as a .22short.

Reactions: 308pirate
If you think the brake looks cool, by all means put it on.

But don't BS yourself about it doing anything else productive at the end of your barrel.

I had an extra Area419 Hellfire that I put on my Rim-X
20210203_192903.jpg

Looks good

I did purchase a thread protector
20210203_185039.jpg

What I want to know is does the muzzle brake negativly effect the aerodynamics of the bullets???

The best thing a brake on a 22 rimfire does is make it easier to catch last shot on your shot timer. Actually that's the only thing it does.