• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My First Build

jldsc

Private
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2012
South
Well I had my first deer rifle given to me for christmas years ago sitting in the gun cabinet collecting dust. After been reading around here for the last couple years I decided to give it whirl. Its a Savage 110 long action, with a Shilen 26" barrel and 1/4" PTG recoil lug. Bought all the tools needed and slapped it together. Installed a Timeny trigger and a threaded on a PTG bolt knob. Put it in a Choat stock with a Harris bi-pod. Action, barrel and bi-pod are duracoat combat black and stock is magpul OD green. I also put an EGW rail with a Millet LRS 6-25 x 56 scope(which looks like stuffing a 454 in a VW Beetle).
Zeroed it in and got about 20 rounds through it so for. Absolutely love the way it shoots with groups from .5-.7 off the bi-pod at 100yrds. I believe it can get better than this also, once I get used to it. Id like to get shorter rings and a cheek rest would help out also. I built this to have something cheeper to shoot besides my 338LM, as i am not a reloader and buy all my ammo. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393570933.040401.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1393570958.437153.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1393570977.672716.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1393570997.975877.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1393571014.232077.jpg

Sent from an Apple Tree..

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393571358.592245.jpg
Not sure why this pic didnt work. Didnt think to take pics of the groups on paper but will get some next time out. If any of you have some insight on which adjustable cheek rest I could use on a choat stock would be much appreciated. And also advise on shorter rings or leave it as is with the tall scope rings. I know this basic setup had been built by another guy here on the hide that has shot out to a mile with his. I like his adjustable cheek rest the he's using.

Bradley makes some nice cheek piece, but their kinda rusty. A buddy of mine has a karston cheek piece that is pretty sweet. The karston requires more work to install but its not that hard if you have a drill press. Id also get lower rings. I just picked up some TPS TSR rings that seem to be good quality for a nice price (I havn't shot them yet) so someone else might be able to provide more info. Not bad for a first build man!!

Pricey not rusty lol

That Karsten is what I was looking for. Ill get some measurements off my stock and order one of them

Found a blemished one for cheap, since Ill be duracoating it didnt matter...its ordered. Once installed Ill calculate how much lower I can get scope rings.

Lower rings and a different scope! I had a LES that only last 52 rounds on a .308, then toon 6 months for Bushnell to replace.

I just bought the scope...I believe Ill shoot with it till its no good anymore just to see how long it'll last.

Nice build, but like others have said I would lower the rings unless they work for you. You want to be able to close your eyes, rest your cheek on the stock, open your eyes, and be comfortable looking through the lens without having to raise or lower your face for a clear objective.

If it works for you, I wouldnt change a thing.

Ive got that cheek rest on order and will take measurements once I get back in from work to see how much lower rings I can clear. I don't believe, even with the rest adjusted all the way up it will get my line of sight correct. My 110BA fits absolutely perfect for me so I'll deff. make the adjustments needed. I believe ill get back into shooting more now that I have something that is cheaper to shoot other than my 338lm. Thanks for the help guys. I wish I knew a way to figure which rings to order versus what the millet came with. I was thinking of medium TPS rings which are .312" off the rail.

One thing to note. Different companys will have different heights ie. Seekins low are not the same as TPS low. TPS runs on the higher side. That said their is a sticky in the optics section that tells you how to measure for what height rings you need.