• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My first Custom Gun

Jrogers05

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2011
DAWSONVILLE, Ga
So I have been lurking around here for some time and have been reading about everyones customs, and the high dollar and low dollar guns and what to start with, have been doing some research and found a plumber in town that does some nice builds. Shot a rifle he built that is a hammer. And decided to save some cash and have one built. I pick it up Wednesday after work. I am really excited.

Specs are as follows:
Rem 700 action, donor from a $369.00 700 ADL donor
action has been trued
recoil lug replaced and pinned
trigger to be replaced this week with a Timney Flat Trigger
Bartlein 5R 11.25 to 1 cut to 24" target crowned
Surgeon DBM
HS Precision PST025 (Will probably take some hell but i handled a good amount of stocks and liked this one the best) has been bedded
EGW 20 MOA BASE
Vortex Viper PST 2.5x10x44 EBR1 Reticle mil/mil
Vortex Tactical Rings
Harris S Series BiPod
The entire barreled action was cera coated black

The only thing I am missing is a bolt Knob, but I am thinking after satursdays range session it may go in the mail to PCR for a Bolt Knob. The smith does not ike installing knobs told me he never gets them right.

Order some FGMM in 168 and 175 yesterday that will be here tomorrow from Fort Worth.

Being that My Experience with a rifle covers a lot of guns, but the max distance I have shot at was about 465 yards, and that was an ugly outing. I am sure this rifle will suit me well for the time being. And being that I am a new father and on a budget, I think I did pretty well to come in under 2800 including the ammo.

I will have a test target and the gun home wednesday and will post pictures then. I know, "it did not happen if there are no pictures", but I was excited when I got the call that it was ready..

I am a noob, so any input on what I did right and wrong is much appreciated.

Re: My first Custom Gun

Sounds like a decent build. I would have went with a 20" barrel. I also like the Jewell trigger over the Timney. IMO, you should have gone with at least a 4-16x. Sounds like you'll have a nice rifle. Posts pics.

this is more of a hunting rifle. And i am actually thinking about sending the 2.5x10 to SWFA and exchanging it for the 4x16. we will see. I am excited will have pictures to post tomorrow.

With the swept back handle of the 700 I find it very difficult to have a 90 trigger engagement with a tactical knob. It hits my knuckle. I wish I had left mine factory.

Congrats on the gun but it sucks for you at the same time because factory will never do again. I was told this myself 2 years ago on my first build and now I am about to finish my third. It is a disease.