• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing My son Tyler's first day of big game hunting !

Sendero_Man

OMWP... the way I roll
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 29, 2007
    Buffalo, Wyoming
    montanagunslings.com
    My son Tyler just turned 12 this Oct. Finally legal for big game hunting here in Wyoming. He has been shooting coyotes, jack rabbits, PD's, etc for years, but has been waiting for deer, antelope and elk... Chomping at the bit actually! LOL

Tyler drew a good antelope tag and we bought a general deer tag, which is good for the same area. His Uncle Brian came up from Nebraska to join in on the hunt. They share the same B'day in Oct. Just 30 years apart !

The day started out early, but with only a 15 minute drive to our hunting area, we arrived with plenty of time. We spotted a nice 4x5 whitetail right off the bat and made a good stalk on him in open grassland hills, but he crossed the neighbors fence and was safe. We decided to go try for goats, as the deer were bedding down for the day.

We drove up in the hills and started to do some glassing of the different herds we were seeing to pick out a good buck. We found a 14.5 inch'r with nice cutters and got to within 180 yards of him. Tyler couldn't get steady and I was very PROUD of him when he said "Dad, I can't stop shaking... I am not gonna shoot." Made me know he learned right !

After roaming around for a while looking at different bucks, we headed to town for some lunch and planned to return for an afternoon hunt. My brother Brian had a non-resident doe tag to fill, which we did upon our return to our hunting area. This seemed to settle Tyler's nerves a little and he decided to go after goats again.

We spotted a herd of over 20 goats with 2 shooter bucks bedded down on a side hill. Perfect spot for a stalk. We made over a 1/2 mile stalk from behind them and crested out in a saddle just above and to the right of them. The lead doe stood up and the herd followed. Tyler got on his shooting sticks and readied himself. We waited about a minute for the buck to get clear of the does and he made a great 117 yard shot with his 7mm-08 with 139 SST handloads. DRT !

Tyler_2010_Goat_2.JPG

After taking care of the antelope and getting him loaded and tagged, we decided to head to town. On the way out, we spotted 4 whitetail bucks feeding along with some does and fawns along a creek bottom. Tyler picked out a 4 x 4 that he said he wanted, and we made a plan.

We got out and made a good stalk across the side hill above the creek to 235 yards away. We watched and waited for 5 or 6 minutes and the buck came out of the bottom and cleared some tall grass. Tyler made a great shot again, bang-flop ! Couldn't have been a prouder Dad and Uncle Brian was very impressed as well. Those 139 SST's perform great... Not to mention great shot placement by my son
    grin.gif

Tyler_2010_Deer_2.JPG

I would say he had a GREAT first day afield !! Not to mention the memories of the hunt with his Dad and Uncle Brian....
    cool.gif

I couldn't stop smiling for the rest of the night !!

smile.gif

Re: My son Tyler's first day of big game hunting !

Oh YEA!!! That is what it is supposed to be about. Congrats Father and Son!!

Congratulations, to both of you. He will remember this day with his dad for the rest of his life and I'm sure you will too.

Scott/Tyler - good for you guys!...nice hunt with great trophies and memories, truly a red letter day. Excellent pics btw.

How awesome! Congrats to Tyler and I'm impressed with his judgement, overcoming buck fever is one sign of a great hunter. He must have picked that up from some level headed source.

Good luck with the elk!

Tell him congratulations from me! He's outdoing both of us right now! Good thing you're not out today. Damn wind...

That's one lucky kid to have a dad like you! Great job. You have lots of memories to look forward to.

Congratulations to both of you!! That's really awesome, and looks like he's already got the hang of it. The fact that he could come off the rifle and have the maturity to decide that he didn't need to shoot just shows that he has been taught right, and will be a great hunter. Heck, I know lots of grown men that have been hunting a long time that STILL don't know when they shouldn't take a shot. I know where he learned that, and he's very level headed if that's already sunk in. What I think is awesome is that he had the maturity to know that 180 might be in his usual range, but not at that moment and conditions. Then later on in the day he turns around and lights one up at around 235. Well done to both of you :).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomcat088</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congratulations to both of you!! That's really awesome, and looks like he's already got the hang of it. The fact that he could come off the rifle and have the maturity to decide that he didn't need to shoot just shows that he has been taught right, and will be a great hunter. Heck, I know lots of grown men that have been hunting a long time that STILL don't know when they shouldn't take a shot. I know where he learned that, and he's very level headed if that's already sunk in. What I think is awesome is that he had the maturity to know that 180 might be in his usual range, but not at that moment and conditions. Then later on in the day he turns around and lights one up at around 235. Well done to both of you :). </div></div>

Thanks a lot for all the words everyone. Tyler is doing great and I couldn't be prouder of him !

Tomcat088... He even does that with coyotes. He doesn't feel 100%, he doesn't shoot.

nice to see the next generation at work. Nice animals down.

COngrats on the hunt, as well as, the kills.. I bet you're more thrilled then your son is at the moment.. Thanks for the story, as well as, the pics.. I hope your elk hunt goes just as well you're other hunts did..

Wow what a first day...a double header no less. Sounds like you raised him right, congrats!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I look forward to that day !!

Bet you cant wipe the smiles off either one of your faces. </div></div>

to say the least !!
    grin.gif

Scott, Thats awesome right there!! Tell him congrats from our camp!!

Great hunt and pics, some of my best memories are when I took my first hunts with my dad when I was 12-13, you never forget that stuff.

Top shelf lifetime memories!

Good job!

That is outstanding congrats on the harvest..
    more importantly thank you for introducing him to the sport!