• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need coyote killing advice.

cast1

Polyhobbyism sufferer
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2011
Never hunted yotes before, never cared to. One came in my yard today and killed my wife’s fav chicken (Marge). I can shoot at the house and I have a good thermal. What’s a good setup to lure them in? I’m out for revenge lol.

Reactions: 338dude
Okay okay, let me clarify…sheesh. How can I lure this thing back in the yard at a time when I am waiting with an optic or thermal, using something that doesn’t directly involve another chicken getting eaten. Y’all are a tough crowd.

I know zero about coyote hunting.

• Haha
As above. After Dark. Listen for them Yipping out in the field, and get set up. If you are close to the chicken house, shoot from the best window, overlooking. If not,perhaps set up in a barn. Don't set up on the porch or anywhere outside. As noted coyotes are smart, and they remember what's in their target area.
Remember, coyotes respond to killing with increased numbers of pups, and more frequent heats, total eradication is difficult.

We’ve been letting them free range for about a month and haven’t lost one. Do you suppose it’s just taken them a while to get the scent of the birds?

you've been lucy for about a month.
He'll be back.
best you start locking them up at night until you get him.
We put ‘em up at dusk. This was about an hour ago! High noon EST.

• Wow
Your lucky that coyote didn’t kill them all.

I live in a high predator area with chickens. The only option was a run with 6’ fence.

I kill a few fox every few months trying to get in the thing.

Your lucky that coyote didn’t kill them all.

I live in a high predator area with chickens. The only option was a run with 6’ fence.

I kill a few fox every few months trying to get in the thing.
That’s what I told my wife. Their coop is all but bear proof, but it’s hills and trees when they free range. Good cover to keep the hawks from them, but good cover to get stalked by a yote too.

put out a dead carcass, let he coyote find it, hunt it.
if you want to be really lazy, put a motion sensor near the dead carcass so you get an alert.
some guy on youtube had security cameras up, so he could watch it for animals.

Take your spouses least favorite chicken. Take said chicken and secure a string or cord to keep the chicken from running away.

anchor the dumb end of the cord so your hands are free. Refrain from abusing the chicken, somehow, make the chicken make lots of noise and drama, release chicken.

Sit and wait quietly for 15 or so minutes before you move to reel in the chicken and do it again, wait, for fucks sake, don't abuse the chicken, repeat.

make sure to set up in a open area so the coyote has to show itself and kill it.

If you are concerned about the well being of the chicken, shoot fast.

Stay alert, coyotes are smart enough to realise when stuff isn't right and sneak in slowly and carefully.

My last word of advise, if the shot on the coyote isn't 100 percent a sure, killing shot, pass it up and do nothing, let the coyote run.

Coyotes figure stuff out fast. If the coyote sits down to take in what's going on, shoot the beast right then and there.

Last edited:
Take your spouses least favorite chicken. Take said chicken and secure a string or cord to keep the chicken from running away.

anchor the dumb end of the cord so your hands are free. Abuse chicken to make lots of noise and drama, release chicken.

Sit and wait quietly for 15 or so minutes before you move to reel in the chicken and do it again, wait, abuse, repeat.

make sure to set up in a open area so the coyote has to show itself and kill it.

If you are concerned about the well being of the chicken, shoot fast.
Saying to “abuse” an animal on here, when we are already talking about killing a coyote probably isn’t good optics...

Huge surprise it’s an old account with a very low comment count.

That’s what I told my wife. Their coop is all but bear proof, but it’s hills and trees when they free range. Good cover to keep the hawks from them, but good cover to get stalked by a yote too.
Keep in mind the day will come they come during the day. We thought we were safe during the day and locking them up at night. Beyond coyotes a fox or a coon will kill your entire flock and let them sit.

Recently everything Iv shot has been during daylight when the birds are out.

Iv had no luck calling in anything around my house. They know whats there and only try when they are desperate or see an opening.

Honestly your best bet is a bait pile and some way to notify you of their presence.

Remember that once you remove the offender another will come along to take his place. That other one may cause you more issues.

We did the chain link fence with a run of electric fencing around the lower edge, ended the issue. We also had issues with owl and other "protected" birds, netting over the enclosure was cheap and effective.

If they are out at night I am shocked they lasted this long.

Remember that once you remove the offender another will come along to take his place. That other one may cause you more issues.

We did the chain link fence with a run of electric fencing around the lower edge, ended the issue. We also had issues with owl and other "protected" birds, netting over the enclosure was cheap and effective.

If they are out at night I am shocked they lasted this long.
Raccoons love killing chickens too, hell chickens seem to enjoy killing and eating chickens sometimes

Reactions: FWoo45 and XP1K
There is more bullshit advice here than I ever imagined I could read in a lifetime. Lots of people who have no idea what they are talking about giving ridiculous advice.

If you want to keep chickens permanently, get a good dog. That's the best deterrent from predation.

Accept that if you are going to have free range chickens, you will always have predation. The hawks, owls, coons, opossums, and whatever else lives there will kill them too. So you'll never eliminate it, understand that now.

If you want to learn how to hunt coyotes, find someone in your area that knows what they are doing and start the process of learning. You'll get a masters degree in college faster than you'll become a proficient coyote hunter without the aid of an experienced coyote hunter. Don't go buy a call and walk out back and start blaring it. Just don't. If you don't want to become a real coyote hunter yourself, look for help, hire a trapper or find a local coyote hunter who already knows the game to come in and deal with it. Grabbing a call off the shelf and educating them is about the worst thing you could do. You can quickly make them almost unkillable.

Substitute Chicken for Goat.

1667239242420.png

They’re REALLY smart. Take the time to set up well because if he busts you, you will play hell getting another opportunity.

Eastern are very different than western.

Best bet is to make a challenge to the Sniper's Hide.....Pretty sure that thing would be dead in a hot minute.

Reactions: 232593
I've had chickens most of my life. Over 100 of them at times. Then we got out of the chicken business and about seven years ago we got back into it. Probably have 50 or so now myself. All free range and they roam in some thick woods. I'm surprised we've got any left.

We've had our fair share of issues with wildlife, yotes, bobcats, coons, possums, snakes and the list goes on. Hawks here lately seem to be our biggest culprit, mostly the big migratory birds.

OP do you live in an area where you can let a dog or two run loose ? I think that's my biggest predator deterrent. I've got two fair sized dogs on the loose 24/7 that keep most everything out of my yard. Except the deer. They'll let the deer eat all the plants around the house and in the garden. Roses look more like cactus.

If you do buy a predator call don't buy the foxpro patriot. I think that's the one I bought. It sucks. Doesn't get loud enough to me but I'm not an experienced predator caller by any means. It seems to call up the neighbors cats just fine. And it works for crows. Good luck.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
Fuck chickens. More work then they’re worth. If you can use this as an excuse for your wife to bail on her chicken project, I would.

Just go down to the pound and “adopt” the biggest, meanest, pit they have and turn him loose. Shoot the first thing that comes out of the bushes, that’s the yote. Then shoot the second thing that comes out, that’s the pit.

Lived with coyotes for decades. They don't bother us and the dogs don't even give them a second glance. They walk right thru the yard when we're sitting out there.

Like the snakes, they are pretty beneficial. The only time the copperheads and timber rattlers we've had for decades became an issue was when my daughter gave my ex a jack russel. I think three bites in a year, $1500 each time.

Okay okay, let me clarify…sheesh. How can I lure this thing back in the yard at a time when I am waiting with an optic or thermal, using something that doesn’t directly involve another chicken getting eaten. Y’all are a tough crowd.

I know zero about coyote hunting.
Bait and a snare/trap would be my suggestion. It makes life easier, then dispatch at your leisure

Raccoons love killing chickens too, hell chickens seem to enjoy killing and eating chickens sometimes

Ok guys I have a chicken story.

Story time:

In the unending battle to keep chickens alive, round 47 or so was something tunneling under the fence and killing 3 chickens. I found chicken parts all over the place, in the pen, in the barn, in the loft of the barn.....I guess it was dinner to go. Well I figure easy way to stop this new trick was concrete blocks around the edge of the pen....worked.

But what to do with all the body parts. As about everyone else in the country I have a burn barrel, and there is a fire in there. I grab the chicken parts and toss them in the fire. About one minute later there is a WOOSH and a on fire chicken carcass goes flying across the sky, at least 24' high as it went over my shop. It shot out of there like a mortar. So here laying on the ground now is a very well done on fire chicken carcass missing head and one wing. Don't get it what ever ate him left the best parts.

Never seen anything like that before.

A friend who loses several lambs every spring to yotes has had luck with snaring them.

Another friend picks up road killed deer, makes a bait pile then sets up a couple hundred yards downwind with his 22-250. Only problem with the bait pile is that it’s a “one time” deal. If he misses, they won’t be back on that bait.

I got a Yote story........

I hunt on this club about 30 min west of Georgetown, SC about 5000 acres its mostly farmland with a mixture of pines, hardwoods and a little bit of low lying swamp land. Its mostly a Deer and turkey hunting club, but we can hunt pretty much anything in season.

Anyway, just about every time I turkey hunt this one area, I bring in some Coyotes with my turkey calling they come in like they are looking for a wounded turkey or something (ha ha not sure what that says about my turkey calling).