• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Report Need help understanding data from range session.

bender338

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2010
PA, USA
Hey everyone,

Just put together my range session into spreadsheet and trying to understand the data. Looking at the data and the targets, what should be my next step? What is the best load so far for this rifle?
Rifle is Rem 700 .223.
I used Varget powder, cci 400 primer, and loaded to book's COAL.

All help will be appreciated!
2ihp9ir.jpg

23/23.1 look the best out of this sample but looking at your velocities I think your loading (powder weighing) process can be improved.
Without knowing the barrel length, twist rate and what bullets you're using, I'd say those charges are on the light side. 24-24.5gr of Varget is a typical match load for 77s.

I'm using Varget 23.0-23.7 in .1 increments. The bullet is 77gr SMK and the barrel is 1:8.5 I believe. I took this from Hogdon's site (77 GR. SIE HPBT Hodgdon Varget .224" 2.260" 21.0 2528 42,700 CUP 23.7C 2737 50,700 CUP).

Are you sure that 24-24.5gr of Varget does not exceed max load? I looked at several books and they all have different data for 77gr. How do you choose the reloading manual to go by if they all have different data?

First of all it is not a sample. It is the entire population stratified. You can't make any type of determination because your data is biased. There is something about your data in general that is offensive. It could something as simple as your chronograph causing the bias. Something is prejudicing the data. There should not be that much variance in your standard deviation based on 1/10 of a grain. In each stratum though your standard deviation is too high to be acceptable. Example, column D is standing proud and dominating the rest of the strata and column C is close to what one would expect from a match factory load. You're going to have to figure out the bias and get a bigger population. Those numbers don't correlate at all with what is expected when all things are relevant; i.e. loads are accurate, chronograph is accurate, weapon system is sound, the group in the targets, and so forth.

As for your question above? Take an average from all your data sources to decide on a beginning load after checking the brass from that population for signs or lack of signs of excessive load. Send me a PM with your exact load data so I can research it a little.

Also, you don't need that energy row if you are taking that data from a loading manual and just plugging it in. If so, it is not doing anything in the spreadsheet. I'm assuming it is not a measured average for each 5 shot group.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like there is a nod at 23.0 and there is another one at 23.9-24.0.
You HAVE to weight sort your brass for this kind of experiments - small case+small volume variance = big difference.