• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Need help with a barrel for a 300WM Build.

Huckleberry75

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • OK, I know that this question will get many answers, but I will ask it anyway to get a concensus.

I am in the process of building up a 300WM. I have the McM A-5 adjustable with pillars installed, the early Sendero already chambered in 300 for the action and trigger (HS Stock to be up in the Classifieds soon), High Leuopy PRW rings for the Vortex Viper PST 6-24X50 MRAD, either Steve Baldwin or Jon Beanland for the break, bedding, threading, trigger tune etc.

My question is,whose barrel should I spinon?

Kreiger, PacNor, Hart, Douglas, Shilen, Rock etc etc
    Please let me know your opinions and why you believe that. Thanks in advance for the Hide's (somewhat warped, but mostly reliable) Opinion & Wisdom.
    smile.gif

Re: Need help with a barrel for a 300WM Build.

My one and only 300WM has a Schneider barrel, and it's a laser, so I wouldn't hesitate to tell someone to consider one of those. The other would be a Bartlein barrel.

Bartlein gets my "other" vote.

Any of the premium aftermarket brands will provide you with a fantastic barrel.

I suggest you decide on what twist, contour, length and fluting you want, and then find one (regardless of manufacturer) that fits those criteria, and call it good.

It will be much easier for you to find one you want if you don't *need* a specific manufacturer.

That said, for completely non-scientific reasons based on nothing but anecdotal "evidence", my top choice is Bartlein. My buddy has a rifle built by a well-known smith with a Bartlein and that is an IMPRESSIVE rifle. Probably more a combination of smith work AND barrel that works so well, and not just the barrel or smith. Same smith really likes Bartlein.

I built a gun very similar to yours. BAT action, McMil Adj3-5, Jewell trigger, Badger DBM and rings, Leupold Mark 4 scope, and Krieger barrel. I love Krieger barrels. We shoot them on our 6PPC bench guns a lot too. But ive also had some Bartlein barrels that have been fantastic shooters as well. You cant go wrong with Krieger or Bartlein. See which one you can get sooner and go with that. Youll be happy with either.

gunla.jpg

I also voted "other" for Bartlein. Kreiger would be a close second.