• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors need info on suppressed 1911 build

inspcalahan

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2005
The Last Frontier
I've got an old Springfield Operator that I'm getting ready to send back for some custom work and a general rebuild/refinish....I'm also thinking of sending along a threaded barrel and tall suppressor sights with it, so that they can be fitted and installed at the same time. Springfield says they don't have the barrels, but will fit them if included and they said their tallest in house sights are .280 in height....so I'm looking to see what's out there that's taller.

Anyone have experience, recommendations on what barrel and sights I should be looking at?

I'm also thinking of having the slide fitted with a Trijicon rmr red dot, in addition to the suppressor sights.....any experience/thoughts?

Re: need info on suppressed 1911 build

look at KKm and i think even kart makes a threaded barrel i'd have to look. i'm having a KKm fitted to mine. sights... i don't know which sights are on the nighthawk 1911 that has a threaded barrel?

http://www.kkmprecision.com/custom_pistol_barrels/home.php

EDIT: "The slide sports new Heinie Ledge Straight-Eight Suppressor Sights which we are only available thru Nighthawk Custom." well there ya go

Osprey 45 is the best pistol can out there right now in my opinion. I have a YHM Cobra M2 and shot the two side by side. Noticeable difference in sound suppression to my ear and my shooting buddies.

You may want to take a look at the SWR HEMS II for
a 45 can also:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LruZqPg7V7E"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LruZqPg7V7E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Nothing wrong with the HEMS II or the yankee hill but it's old technology compared to the AAC Titan and the Osprey which are the only 2 dry-hearing safe 45 cans right now. Pay once, cry once ...

SWR HEMSII is no where near as quiet as the TiRant or Osprey.
Old technology cannot compete with these new cans.

I have an old Colt MK IV series 70 GOVT model that I put a Storm Lake barrel in and run a SilencerCo Osprey 45. The drop-in fit was perfect and I am very happy with the barrel. they are currently working on the Springfield XDM 45 barrels and I was told by late Spring availability, so I am going to get one.

I ordered the "drop-in" fit threaded barrel, but they also offer an oversized one that must be custom/gunsmith fitted.

This may be an option for you, here is the linky STORM LAKE

I have a storm lake barrel as well on my 1911 MC Operator. I got it with the bushing and link, drop in. It works great and locks up tight. (I did the test and amount of lock up was well within the acceptable range.) All I had to do was fit the bushing to the slide, which is super simple. Just file the backside of the lug that's on the bushing. Mark it, test fit it. Take down where marking has been rubbed off.

Osprey45cal_1911.jpg

REALLY nice setup there, Salmonaxe. I like that a lot.

I agree that the TiRant and Osprey are the two top choices. I still like the HEMS-2 but it isn't nearly as quiet as these other products when shot dry.

Just to throw out another choice on the barrels, I use Jarvis barrels on my suppressed 1911s and have had excellent results. I have nothing but positive experiences with Mr. Jarvis and his products. They are first on my list followed by KKM. I only have experience with a few of the Storm Lake barrels but they seem pretty good too.

As for sights, I don't like tall sights because they often interfere with the holsters I like to use (of course, when not using a suppressor). I also have several 1911s and like consistency in the sighting systems. Just my opinion though.