• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing New Barrel Advise

woodsy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2011
IL
Finally getting ready to move on a couple of builds. The Remy receivers are trued but now I need the barrels.

The first build is going to be a .223AI to be used for prairie dogs. I’d like to go with a Rem Varmint or Sendero contour and stay with 55 gr Vmax. I’m looking for speed with this setup and not worried about stretching the range to 800 yards. What twist would you guys recommend?

The second build is a .260 for use on p’dogs as well. Rem Varmint or Sendero contour as well. My intention here is to push it to 1,000 yards with the 140 Hornady’s or the 139 Lapuas. Recommended twist for this one?

I haven’t yet settled on a barrel manufacturer but prefer to stick with someone good. Any ideas who actually has something in stock?

Thanks in advance!