• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New barrel gouged on muzzle

stickyheat

Private
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2023
USA
I recently purchased a new CHF chrome lined barrel from a company that uses FN to make their barrels. Never had issues with them before.

This barrel I received has a machining mark that I worried could cause accuracy issues. After contacting the company they offered to kindly return the barrel and refund my money but informed me this should not impact performance.

My hesitation with keeping it at this point is I plan to pin and weld a suppressor adapter to this barrel.

I was wondering if anyone here has seen similar markings on muzzles and if it might be something to be concerned about or purely cosmetic?

Attachments

• IMG_8950.jpeg
    IMG_8950.jpeg
    382.3 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
I have not. But I can't imagine it will affect performance. The bullet never touches that area. The crown looks good. I'd run it, or at least see how it shoots.

Reactions: stickyheat
Probably won't affect anything, but damn that is some rough looking machine work and threads. How confident are you that those threads are concentric to the bore? That is the bigger question if you are using a suppressor.

Probably won't affect anything, but damn that is some rough looking machine work and threads. How confident are you that those threads are concentric to the bore? That is the bigger question if you are using a suppressor.
I’m honestly not sure the best way to check if the threads are concentric to the bore. The seem like they have some flat spots but not sure if that’s an issue once again.

IMG_8954.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: MCHOG
I’m honestly not sure the best way to check if the threads are concentric to the bore. The seem like they have some flat spots but not sure if that’s an issue once again.

View attachment 8398923

While the first picture you sent didn't look like it should cause any trouble or be any cause for concern at all, those threads are pretty bad.

Since they offered to let you send it back and get a different one, I'd go ahead and do that.

Those flat spots or whatever might cause all kinds of headaches later on when screwing and unscrewing stuff.

threads are Fubared send it back.............it was dropped or banged really hard. Threads are going to be a problem now/down the road. I run CNC grinders to +/- .007 microns daily for linear motion systems, that is scrap as far as I am concerned. Not threaded the little nick would be purely cosmetic but we would classify it as a hit dent and scrap it. The threads are embarrassing that would of never left the plant to a customer.

I appreciate all of this info. Unfortunately they won’t be able to replace it but did offer to refund.

I’ve reached back out to them to ask for the refund.

Now I’m back in the hunt for a 14.5” barrel that will be a suppressor host. Might look at Noveske’s offerings next.

Reactions: AXEFORCE6
I appreciate all of this info. Unfortunately they won’t be able to replace it but did offer to refund.

Now I’m back in the hunt for a 14.5” barrel that will be a suppressor host. Might look at Noveske’s offerings next.
https://www.rooftopdefense.com/product/criterion-core-14-5-223-wylde-midlength-barrel-18-twist/

pretty sure you can find a discount for it too. Criterion Core is one of the best bangs for your buck with chrome line.

I'd also be looking at Centurion. Probably this 1st: https://centurionarms.com/barrels/socom-hammer-forged-barrel-carbine-14-5-inch/

NONE of the defects are going to hurt anything. If they can get you a different barrel let them. Otherwise it will not hurt anything

I’ve got two noveske barrles 10.5 and 11.5 that are sbr’s. Worth every penny.

I’m honestly not sure the best way to check if the threads are concentric to the bore.
1. These Schuster styled concentricity gauges are still available on ebay etc.
2. McMaster-Carr close tolerance rods for few bucks, as a custom gauge dimension-ed to your specific barrel bore size.
Geissele uses "minute-of-eyeball" reference with his alignment rods.

Schuster Concentricity Gage copy.png
Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 6.58.36 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 7.02.54 PM.png