• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Leupold Patrol 6HD 1-6

Their prior Patrol line was half this price. If they come out with a premium LPVO looks like it will be a replacement to the Mk8 just from a price perspective

Remember the dumbasses shitting on the "mushy" turrets on Steiner's P4Xi 1-4X...............
I do. It was the first I'd heard of someone caring about how the set it and forget it capped turrets on an LPVO felt.

1-6, really?? Should have gone 1-8 or 1-10 which is current market trajectory.

Why does Leupold always seem to live on the past? People are still eating up their long discontinued 2.5-8 MR/T's. I just don't get it ...

CM

If it was a 1-10 I'd have called the shop to put in an order already.

It's been proven to be fairly easy to make a decent 1-4/1-6 below that price.

Reactions: Center Mass
So you shit on BDC reticles without having practiced in their use? If you're regularly dialing an LPVO, especially a 4x or 6x one, you might be using it for the wrong tasks.
Used a BDC with an ACOG I used to have for a year or so. Shot with it (hold over) out to about 400y. Just didn’t care for the BDC reticle (ACSS Aurora). I like Mils, its simple and in my mind, more versatile.

Regularly is a stretch, I did it once in a mid-range carbine class out to 550y, with easy first round impacts. I like holding the center of the crosshairs. The results were not as fast as other guys using holdovers, that I’ll say. But I used less ammo to achieve hits.

Holdovers, BDCs, Mils, dialing, etc. are all tools in the box to use when needed. My turret stays at “0” 99% of the time.

There’s nothing wrong per se with a 1-6 SFP moa bdc but it’s utterly retarded not to offer a tmr style mil/mil reticle as well. Especially considering the older vx6hd which is one of my favourite hunting LPVO is offered with mil cds turrets. Not everyone shoots 556 so if you use 300blk or something else then your BDC is useless.

" At its brightest it isn’t quite daylight bright, but that dot does help draw your eye to the center of the scope in challenging lighting conditions, and gives you a visible aiming point in low light conditions where you might not be able to see the thin crosshairs."

•This gentleman says it's "not quite daylight bright", but in the videos above by Leupold they say it is. That would be a pretty big mistake not having a daylight bright illumination in this price range and market for what they are marketing it as, competition/tactical duty use. Interested to know which one is correct.

If you look at the Leupold website for the Patrol 6HD, the duplex reticle is described as "daylight bright" and the CDS reticle is described as "bright". This is rather telling. I assume the brightness is along the lines of the SMRS, Accupower, etc. which is "modestly daylight visible" in bright sunny conditions.

Personally, I don't know why I would pay $1500 for this rather than either "settle" for a Razor Gen2E or a Sig Tango6 SFP for less money, or bump it all the way up to the Eotech 1-10x or Razor Gen3. It's just not a very compelling optic. But that's Leupold for you.

If you look at the Leupold website for the Patrol 6HD, the duplex reticle is described as "daylight bright" and the CDS reticle is described as "bright". This is rather telling. I assume the brightness is along the lines of the SMRS, Accupower, etc. which is "modestly daylight visible" in bright sunny conditions.

Personally, I don't know why I would pay $1500 for this rather than either "settle" for a Razor Gen2E or a Sig Tango6 SFP for less money, or bump it all the way up to the Eotech 1-10x or Razor Gen3. It's just not a very compelling optic. But that's Leupold for you.
Good point.

Reactions: erwos
Good point.
Also, I acknowledge that to some people "low weight plus daylight bright duplex" might very well be precisely what they need. I just don't find it terribly compelling as a non-hunter.

Reactions: JDB55
Also, I acknowledge that to some people "low weight plus daylight bright duplex" might very well be precisely what they need. I just don't find it terribly compelling as a non-hunter.
Right, but that's the thing. The reticle doesnt fully even make sense in my mind. The duplex is more of a hunter reticle from my understanding, but they are marketing it to Leo/competition. Why not have a cross hair reticle that has some sort of stadia or mil dots...atleast something that will help more with holding over? I know they have the other one but I myself prefer the cross hair style with the bright illuminated dot. Just kinda odd in my opinion.

Leupold is interesting. Their engineers that do their illumination seem to suck compared to others.

I like their Made in US ethic.

MK12 Clone guns is the only reason people buy them

Mostly yes. But I have seen a few non-clone versions sell quite fast for more money that I would care to pay for one. If I could find one in the $900-$1K range I would grab it for my AR10 carbine. But I think the clone guys ruined any chance of that happening...

CM

Reactions: JDB55
I can’t speak for the Patrol 6HD but my VX6HD 1-6 is absolutely nuclear daylight bright which you would expect for being a fibre optic based illumination.

Edit. Oh I see they have the CMR2 illuminated. That’s definitely NOT daylight bright. The firedot duplex would be but that’s so retarded. Make it a firedot TMR reticle and put the cds-zl2 mrad turrets and it’ll sell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stoweit and JDB55
Mostly yes. But I have seen a few non-clone versions sell quite fast for more money that I would care to pay for one. If I could find one in the $900-$1K range I would grab it for my AR10 carbine. But I think the clone guys ruined any chance of that happening...

CM
I like my Delta Stryker 1-6x24 so much for the features/money in that sub $900 category. Sitting on my 16" carbine and the only way I would ever get something different is if I wanted to go FFP and up the magnification to 8x or 10x.

" At its brightest it isn’t quite daylight bright, but that dot does help draw your eye to the center of the scope in challenging lighting conditions, and gives you a visible aiming point in low light conditions where you might not be able to see the thin crosshairs."

•This gentleman says it's "not quite daylight bright", but in the videos above by Leupold they say it is. That would be a pretty big mistake not having a daylight bright illumination in this price range and market for what they are marketing it as, competition/tactical duty use. Interested to know which one is correct.
In this article it says the reticle blinks when more than 1 degree off level, and shuts off completely with more than 30 degrees. This is for a “tactical“ scope? Are they insane? You think someone in a tactical situation, or even just a 3gun match, might need to tilt the rifle to make a shot? This is completely unacceptable.

In this article it says the reticle blinks when more than 1 degree off level, and shuts off completely with more than 30 degrees. This is for a “tactical“ scope? Are they insane? You think someone in a tactical situation, or even just a 3gun match, might need to tilt the rifle to make a shot? This is completely unacceptable.
Oh, man, I missed that. That's an immediate deal-breaker if true. I need to twist a little to use a port and the illumination decides to call it a day? Who the heck comes up with something like that? Real-world testing at any match or class would immediately find that problem.

I can just see the product team meeting now:
Bob: Sig's got this clever electronic leveling system that works really well! We need to match it!
Charlie: Well, we can implement it, but the cost of the scope is going to go up.
Bob: What if we do away with those handy side lights and just blink our illumination instead? That would cost less, but check off the box.
Charlie: You're a genius!
Bob: We can even make it better by turning off the illumination if they tilt the gun too much! No one would ever want to shoot a canted gun! That's a feature Sig doesn't even have!
Charlie: No one else but us would ever think of that! *pushes away from the table* That's Leupold innovation! Pour me another drink!

Last edited:
I can't believe they did that

“Both scopes/reticles sport Leupold’s fascinating in-scope electronic leveling system. Tilt the scope more than one degree left or right and the reticle illumination blinks. Bring it back to level, and the illumination remains solid. Tilt it more than 30 degrees and the illumination shuts off to save battery life.”

Direct quote from the last paragraph in the article. I can only hope this is a ”feature“ that can be disabled. Otherwise these scopes are next to useless outside of shooting off a bench.

“Both scopes/reticles sport Leupold’s fascinating in-scope electronic leveling system. Tilt the scope more than one degree left or right and the reticle illumination blinks. Bring it back to level, and the illumination remains solid. Tilt it more than 30 degrees and the illumination shuts off to save battery life.”

Direct quote from the last paragraph in the article. I can only hope this is a ”feature“ that can be disabled. Otherwise these scopes are next to useless outside of shooting off a bench.
You are absolutely correct. The "I can't believe they did that" wasn't a reference to you or not believing you it was to them. That's unbelievable to me in the sense that they would ever think that would be a good idea, I could see(I don't agree) someone trying to do that in a PRS scope, but an lpvo made for dynamic shooting that needs the illumination to run as a red dot? That's just mind boggling.

Last edited:
Nothing about this scope makes any sense other than weight and mag range.... Are the $1400 & $1500 marks street prices or MSRP? Will these be closer to $1k street price? Either way I'm not sure who is actually buying this scope (I have seen a few "influencers" on social media pumping these things but that's it), the bench shooters mentioned above aren't shooting 1-6's. I can't tell you how many ppl I see at the range with a 16" cheapo AR with some sort of a 3-9, 4-16, etc on it shooting groups on paper at 50 yards.

Reactions: HD1911
It looks like street for the Patrol 6HD is gonna be $1250-$1300 with the CDS2, and I presume $1200-ish with the duplex. The Eotech is likely to be $200-$300 more. I know which one I would buy if weight was not an overriding consideration.

I don’t like this scope but to be fair, I used my vx6hd 1-6 in hunting application and just for fun lobbing long range subsonic 300blk and the cds-zl2 turrets tracks good although mushy.

Also another consideration, with newish methods like the accuracy first speed drop method you could easily with a mil/mil 1-8, 1-10 FFP go below zero on the turrets and use the mil reticle as a bdc https://www.snipershide.com/precision-rifle/finding-your-speed-drop-factor/

For example, assuming a 50/200 yard zero with 224 77 SMK launched at 2700 FPS you could go 2.2 mils below zero and use the mil reticle holdover for 200-600 yards and with the mph wind technique you could very quickly engage those intermediate ranges with no math or dope which makes a LPVO mil/mil with a clean tree very desirable especially for a gasser in 6ARC or 6.5 CM where you could easily do 200-800 with the Speed drop method and MPH quick wind.

IMO a FFP tree based mil on a LPVO is much superior than your mystery meat BDC because you can just get your env data of the day and adapt it (on a hot daily in altitude maybe you have a 5mph gun - maybe your speed drop factor is 2.5, etc etc)