• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Next big thing in sitting shooting position support ?

I reckon they have no sense of balance, and need to tie one on. I learned stability on a one-legged milk stool. Still use one shooting prairie dogs from cactus. No strap-on needed... I reckon I'm just ol' fashioned.

I looked at those skinny 8mm legs and thought how painful that'd be when they buckled under the weight of my big ol' butt sitting on them. I can't see myself ever leaning back on them and feeling I can trust them entirely. Us bigger corn fed boys like something solid under us. Cool idea though.

Maybe someone should have told him that:

A shooting stick is for an upland game shooter to use, whilst waiting for the beaters to get within earshot and NOT for shooting off!

By the way, that reminds me of a famous Spoonerism, reportedly uttered by a BBC cricket commentator. He was talking about the pose adopted by a member of the fielding team and meant to say .... ‘he looks like he is sitting on a shooting stick’.

Maybe someone should have told him that:

A shooting stick is for an upland game shooter to use, whilst waiting for the beaters to get within earshot and NOT for shooting off!

By the way, that reminds me of a famous Spoonerism, reportedly uttered by a BBC cricket commentator. He was talking about the pose adopted by a member of the fielding team and meant to say .... ‘he looks like he is sitting on a shooting stick’.
Have you ever shot long range prairie dogs where you had to move around and couldn't kneel or get in the prone? Or, go hunt big game in Africa some time. Shooting sticks are quite the norm there.

That said, this just looks like a space age milk stool we used when my dad and uncle still milked cows out of a flat barn. My dad built a herringbone and that was much easier to milk cows in. I'm sure too, they have weight ratings so the heavies like me won't collapse 'em.:rolleyes::cool:

Reactions: ZG47A
Milking stool for me. Guessing they've never seen one. The ones we used had a bigger seat and a spring loaded foot.

IMG_2272.PNG

Have you ever shot long range prairie dogs where you had to move around and couldn't kneel or get in the prone? Or, go hunt big game in Africa some time. Shooting sticks are quite the norm there.

That said, this just looks like a space age milk stool we used when my dad and uncle still milked cows out of a flat barn. My dad built a herringbone and that was much easier to milk cows in. I'm sure too, they have weight ratings so the heavies like me won't collapse 'em.:rolleyes::cool:

I like the idea of a support for that sort of shooting BUT having it dangling from your belt is just too dangerous, in my opinion. You could inflict a very nasty injury upon yourself by falling on top of a stool attached tp your belt. One of our club members has replacement knees and uses a special support for positional shooting but he does not strap it to his body whilst walking. It was the hazardous aspect that really got my attention.

I like the idea of a support for that sort of shooting BUT having it dangling from your belt is just too dangerous, in my opinion. You could inflict a very nasty injury upon yourself by falling on top of a stool attached tp your belt. One of our club members has replacement knees and uses a special support for positional shooting but he does not strap it to his body whilst walking. It was the hazardous aspect that really got my attention.
True, stuffed in a pack, or secured tight somehow, would probably not bang you around as much while moving.

BUT having it dangling from your belt is just too dangerous, in my opinion. You could inflict a very nasty injury upon yourself by falling on top of a stool attached tp your belt. . It was the hazardous aspect that really got my attention.

You must be a clumsy bastid, to trip and fall and injure yourself with a stool on your side, on flat prairie dog ground..... I reckon some folk are too dumb to watch where they're walking. It also beats the hell outta carrying it in your hand. Who the hell wears a pack while shooting prairie dogs? And, I guess some can't walk smooth enough to keep it from 'banging'. Glad I'm not so 'challenged'.....

Reactions: Geno C.
You must be a clumsy bastid, to trip and fall and injure yourself with a stool on your side, on flat prairie dog ground..... I reckon some folk are too dumb to watch where they're walking. It also beats the hell outta carrying it in your hand. Who the hell wears a pack while shooting prairie dogs? And, I guess some can't walk smooth enough to keep it from 'banging'. Glad I'm not so 'challenged'.....

I am a qualified carpenter (my second Trade Certificate) and a former (12 year) Territorial Force Royal New Zealand Engineer. If it can happen, it will happen.

The illustrated method of carriage is inherently unsafe. There is no such thing as perfectly flat terrain, unless it has been professionally scraped, compacted and levelled. Even then, human ability to injure oneself is not to be underestimated.

The illustrated method of carriage would violate any site safety plan and the company safety plan of any commercial agricultural or pastoral enterprise; in regard to the actions of employees and/or contractors It would constitute a sackable offence for any farm employee engaged in pest control for their employer. That is my opinion, based on decades of real world experience of actions and their consequences.

I appreciate the value of ingenuity BUT the illustrated carry system is ill considered and unsafe.

You have the wrong end of the ‘stick’ here

A shooting ‘stick’ is just for sitting on, shooting ‘sticks’ are, as you say, are for shooting off.

Either way that contraption looks like an accident waiting to hapoen

Brgds Terry

I don't know if you knew this, you can shoot off a "stick" or "sticks" either one is a support, two is better. That said, I had never heard of a single leg stool being called a "stick". If that is so, you could shoot off of it too, when a little elevation is needed.;)

Last edited: