• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Nocturn Manticore-R w/L3 24 UM from Apollo Gear first impressions

Rio Precision Gunworks

Supporter
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2023
Texas
I'm sure there's plenty of people researching NVG that are considering a Nocturn Manticore-R. Tonight was my first night out with my set, so I figured I'd give an initial impression. I'll also talk a little about Apollo Gear which is where I purchased them.

The Manticore-R is their rugged (hence the R) that is an aluminum housing. First impressions it it feels like it's built like a tank. These will be seeing some fairly hard use which is why I chose this housing over others. First impression is that it accomplishes the goal.

The articulation is stiff yet smooth. I believe you can adjust the tension via screws, but the way it is set currently is prefect for me. Not sure if that's how it's set from factory if the builder set it. Regardless, it means that one way or another, you can get the tension you like. The tubes have individual shut off when rolled up and that seems to work as intended. There is no obstruction from the battery port, so they will fully articulate just shy of vertical.

The controls are push buttons and very stiff. Which is a good thing as you basically can't accidentally press a button. It has +/- manual gain buttons, an onboard IR, and power button. I do feel a knob is easier/faster to fine tune the gain....but not enough that I regret the push buttons. The battery cab does somewhat get in the way so you have to position your hand/fingers in specific positions to press the buttons. Not a huge deal.....just being picky mentioning it.

The rest of the unit is the generic Carson Pvs14 glass. I decided to go this way vs something like a 31a or 31d or anything fancy like RPO or boomslang.....just for the ease of maintenance in the event of damage.

That's about all I can say for the housing and such as there's really not much too them and that's part of the reason I chose the Manticore. It's a minimalist rugged housing that has manual gain. No large housing or anything I don't need.....except on board illuminator. I don't need that as I use other illuminators for different tasks and will likely never use the onboard.

As far as Apollo Gear, Ryan (owner) was extremely helpful. We talk about my needs for housing and tubes. He agreed that something like the Manticore was likely a better choice than a 31a, and while the 31d was also a good choice for my neon eds.....I'd be able to get better tubes for the same price as a 31d.

He tends to use 24um or 24ua L3 tubes. We mutually agreed that it made sense to look for around a 35snr (since that's not a hard number to get on L3 tubes), and then prioritize the lowest EBR in the tubes he had on hand.....mainly because I work in a very hot environment and while EBR is overvalued a lot, it made sense to make that a secondary priority just to be safe.

The packaging from Apollo was far and away better than it needed to be. The nvg came with a case, a single 123 batter, stickers, wipes, and the spec sheets. A very nice and need package.

I'll post the spec sheets below. And while I'll keep the actual price private (since pricing can fluctuate on many things that are things that can and can't be controlled), it's in the +/- $10,000 range. Just so anyone reading has a ballpark price to see if a build like this is in your budget.

The below pics were taking with an iPhone. Conditions are completely overcast with no moon or stars visible. Very little ambient lighting in the immediate area as its in a semi remote heavy brush area. And just started with a new moon even though it's not visible currently.

Pic 1: just taken with iPhone
Pic 2: same area through a single tube with gain set to around medium to low
Pic 3: same area with gain at max

IMG_3119.jpeg

IMG_3120.jpeg

IMG_3121.jpeg

IMG_3122.jpeg

Last edited:
Cool review! Did you have another set of binos to compare this to?

My only hesitation with the manticore-r is the weight (almost 20 oz) versus the weight of the 31As (16 oz).

Cool review! Did you have another set of binos to compare this to?

My only hesitation with the manticore-r is the weight (almost 20 oz) versus the weight of the 31As (16 oz).

I’ve used 31a for work for quite a while. If it’s your job or you spend a ton of time wearing them, the 2-4oz difference, you’ll feel.

You’ll spend $2-4k more for a set of 31a to get that weight reduction. However you’ll also get:

Fixed diopter. If you don’t have 20/20 or 20/20 with glasses/contacts, you’ll have to buy the right diopter for ~$400. Which also means you might not be able to share/loan.

You’ll get proprietary lenses which are nice, but if they break….its going to be expensive. With pvs14 lenses, it’s fairly cheap and quick to fix.

No individual pod shut off when rolled up. If that matters.

So, IMO, if you’re using them for a living (this could be hunting guides and exterminators as well as mil/le), the 31a are probably worth it. And obviously if you don’t have to pay for the repairs if broken.

If not, something like Manticore-R is a good option. Also 31d. The 31d will obviously not have as good tubes. But they are still going to be nice. I’m looking a set of used 31d next week. So I should be able to compare.

For me personally, these will be used quite a bit and at times not just by me. So the added weight for the durability as well as ease of diopter adjustment and replacement parts is worth it for my needs.

Small update. So far, so good. They are slightly heavy. If you're only spending an hour here and there, they are fine. If you spend all night, you'll probably want to add a small amount of weight in the back.

For reference, Ops Core Amp completely stowed in the rear are a bit less weight than what is needed. When running the Amps on ears, it also almost helps with the balance since they are under spring tension (but not uncomfortable).

IMG_3171.jpeg