• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

OAL too long for magazines

Boyscout618

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2011
DC area
I'm doing some load development for my rifle (custom 700, 7mm-08), and have determined that in order for the bullets (162 Hornady ELD-M) to be set .015 off the lands, my OAL is 2.963, which is much too long to fit inside either the internal box mag, or AICS mags which I will be switching to soon. Did the same thing with 160 TMK, which it shoots pretty well but again do not fit in the magazine. What are my options at this point? I'm planning on trying my hand at PRS competitions, and obviously a single-shot is not suited for that. Do I just suck it up and load rounds to mag max length? Or is there any (relatively) inexpensive gunsmithing work to be done to set the chamber back so I don't have to load them as long and still get them appropriately close to the lands?

I appreciate any help!

Load to fit the mag and discuss this with your smith before getting your next barrel.

Thanks MtnCreek, I got this rifle very lightly used, so I don't know who did the work but I will definitely keep it in mind. 918v, I've always understood that .015-.020 off the lands was about right for a "tactical precision" rig, it's what my reloading mentor has always started with for hunting and precision rifles. I understand there is some experimenting that can be done in that area though

0.02" off is a good starting place when doing load development but you should now jump back to max mag length and see how much your groups differ.

I would pick an intermediate oal and rework the load, then tweak the oal as long as it's below max mag length. You might find yourself in a better velocity window than you are right now.

ARC's website says 2.97, that would work perfectly. Do they fit in AICS DBM systems? I will be sending my stock to CDI shortly....

ARC's website says 2.97, that would work perfectly. Do they fit in AICS DBM systems? I will be sending my stock to CDI shortly....

Yes, beware, because of the length of your rd, you made to have a little material removed under your feed ramp on your action, easy to do.

Yes, beware, because of the length of your rd, you made to have a little material removed under your feed ramp on your action, easy to do.

Actually that would make sense, my rounds have been getting caught up sometimes, even when I single-feed them, I have to jimmy them around a bit and then they push in

Actually that would make sense, my rounds have been getting caught up sometimes, even when I single-feed them, I have to jimmy them around a bit and then they push in

It's a painless fix and the smith who gave you the excessive freebore should knock it out for free, takes 10 min.

It's a painless fix and the smith who gave you the excessive freebore should knock it out for free, takes 10 min.

Is the excessive freebore a smith issue or barrel issue? The barrel is off a Remington SPS varmint, I bought the rifle secondhand so I don't know who did the work

Is the excessive freebore a smith issue or barrel issue? The barrel is off a Remington SPS varmint, I bought the rifle secondhand so I don't know who did the work

If a factory gun, no smith involved, I took for granted you had it built.

If a factory gun, no smith involved, I took for granted you had it built.

Well the barrel is factory, but put on a different action for some reason. It's a old "Sportsman 78" marked 700 action, with a new SPS varmint barrel, and remington-marked HS Precision stock

Well the barrel is factory, but put on a different action for some reason. It's a old "Sportsman 78" marked 700 action, with a new SPS varmint barrel, and remington-marked HS Precision stock

Ok, no history on a 78, if it is the same as a 700, the lip needs to come out, we may be getting over my pay grade. But a longer capacity mag will work in an SA dbm.