• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Odin Works 16:1 barrel or Wilson Combat 16" Recon

_Will_

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2022
WA
Just as the title says. I'm trying to decide between Odin Works 16:1 barrel or Wilson Combat 16" Recon for a barrel on a recon type build complimented with a LPVO. I'm looking for something is a intermediate profile barrel that isn't too heavy but will balance the rifle out. For me naturally, I'm drawn to the Wilson Combat Recon fluted because it seems to check off alot of boxes. Hand lapped, fluted, reputation for quality and accuracy. Some of the cons are intermediate gas system and proprietary gas tube and only offered in 556. I'd prefer a 223 Wylde. I've read that chambers is only one part of the overall equation when it comes to barrel accuracy.

The Odin works looks enticing, people report good things. It's hard to find any visual evidence of any credible testing for groups. Any suggestions???

If you're worried about wearing out a gas tube and/or future availability on the Wilson, buy a spare. Other than accidental damage, the wear is typically at the flared end, and usually caused by poor alignment with the carrier key. They typically last as long as the barrel.

The 16" Wilson's are super gassy- I'd skip them, and that's after owning more than a couple.

EDIT- haven't tried their intermediate in 16" 223, just 308. My 16s are mid.

Reactions: _Will_
The 16" Wilson's are super gassy- I'd skip them, and that's after owning more than a couple.

EDIT- haven't tried their intermediate in 16" 223, just 308. My 16s are mid.
How are they accuracy wise? I've read many reports they're 1 MOA or less with match ammo? At least that's what I've seen.

I've only shot 55 spire points through my 223 and got the results one might expect. Sorry that's not helpful.

The 308 is easily an MOA gun, but shooting large frames isn't easy (ymmv). My others are SBRs with red dots so baseballs there.

How are they accuracy wise? I've read many reports they're 1 MOA or less with match ammo? At least that's what I've seen.
I recently ordered a .223 Wylde Recon and I CANNOT get anything under 1" to shoot from this. My buddy has a Wilson rifle with the Ranger (thinnest profile) that shoots the same ammo I've tried at .5" on a couple different 75gr loads. I've tried 55gr & 62gr FMJs that got 2"+ groups and I've also tried multiple 75/77gr loads with most being 1.25"-2.5" @ 100yds and 1 factory load that got just over an inch. I'm terribly disappointed with this barrel and likely will not buy from Wilson again.
Also, I agree that with the factory Wilson gas block, it's pretty gassy and I'd recommend an adjustable.

I have the Wilson barrel you are considering that I got a couple of years ago.

After I worked through a tight headspace issue & got it installed, it's been pretty decent...........shoots right at an inch to slightly better with 77 SMK's & 8208, 69 RMR's & about the same with IMI Razorcore for 5 shot groups that are nice & round.

Bore has a nice finish & doesn't foul much at all; OD is nicely finished.

The intermediate gas length is a plus, IMO; I usually use an AGB as SOP, but on this build I used a non-adjustable gas block. I tried initially to use a lightweight BCG with a carbine buffer & Sprinco White (standard weight) spring but it was a little too gassy.

But with a full weight BCG, it's fine & ejects into a nice pile at about 3 o'clock.

So, overall, I'm happy with the barrel for what it cost & after I worked through the HS issue which was a PIA.............Wilson says they are now setting HS to industry standards & not as tight as when I got that barrel.

No input on Odin barrels.

MM

Reactions: simonp
I have the Wilson barrel you are considering that I got a couple of years ago.

After I worked through a tight headspace issue & got it installed, it's been pretty decent...........shoots right at an inch to slightly better with 77 SMK's & 8208, 69 RMR's & about the same with IMI Razorcore for 5 shot groups that are nice & round.

Bore has a nice finish & doesn't foul much at all; OD is nicely finished.

The intermediate gas length is a plus, IMO; I usually use an AGB as SOP, but on this build I used a non-adjustable gas block. I tried initially to use a lightweight BCG with a carbine buffer & Sprinco White (standard weight) spring but it was a little too gassy.

But with a full weight BCG, it's fine & ejects into a nice pile at about 3 o'clock.

So, overall, I'm happy with the barrel for what it cost & after I worked through the HS issue which was a PIA.............Wilson says they are now setting HS to industry standards & not as tight as when I got that barrel.

No input on Odin barrels.

MM
I swapped lowers to a Vltor A5 setup and it did change the ejections pattern from a 1:30-2:00 to a solid 3 o’clock position so I second this.
I also tried IMI 77gr razorcore as part of my testing but never got close to 1”. Best group I’ve gotten was 75gr Hornady over 24.0gr H4895 where 4 holes were vertical stringing but touching and a fifth round went rogue causing another 1.5” group and it wasn’t from a bad pull on my end that I felt.

Extractors have been known to affect ejection patterns as well.............................;)

MM

Reactions: msgriff