• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official - Precision Rifle Loading on a Dillon XL750

DeathBeforeDismount

Hey, give your balls a tug.
Banned !
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2021
IN YOUR HEAD
The idea of this is to be a new thread dedicated to those who want to learn more or share tips/tricks for loading precision rifle on a Dillion XL750.

I have 2 XL750s along with a bunch of accessories and upgrades on the way. I will document how both machines will be setup, issues that need to be addressed, recommended upgrades and anything else that needs to be mentioned. One machine will be setup with a powder through die so a high end trickler can be used for powder charging and the other will use the dillion powder throw.

The goal is to share information so we can automate as much as the reloading process as possible, reducing reloading time.

Big Thanks for Bobcat Armament for supplying most of the equipment and accessories.

Looking forward to this. I do a lot of my brass prep on my XL750 . I have hand dropped powder from my trickler and seated but mostly do that off the 750 now and seat on my Zero. Haven’t really considered using the Dillon measure on other than pistol and 5.56 though. I’ve gone through many of the popular powder options from Chargemaster that I need to sell to an AT4 that I like but likely will sell as I have a ST Gen2 I like. In line for the new Ingenuity so we’ll see when that comes through.

I use Armanov toolheads / die rings and highly recommend them. I’ve added some other minor upgrades. I can post some pics and more info when I have more time.

What cartridge & powders will you be loading?

This is good timing! Just getting mine setup to do precision loading for 6.5CM, 223 bolt gun and 223 ar15.

Reactions: Herb Stoner
I made all the upgrades that you listed plus a few more that are unnamed.
Armanov Tool Heads
Armanov Free Float lock rings
Armanov Bearing Cam

I ran this process as a proof of concept when I loaded 1000 M118 clone loads. All the priming was done on press, throw charges with the AutoTrickler, and place bullets on brass by hand.

The idea I had was to use one tool head for brass prep and one for loading - 2 heads per caliber.
Brass Prep Head
Station 1: Universal deprime die
Stage 2: FL Resizing Die with bushing
Stage 3: Mandrel (could switch this to loading die)

Universal Lube Die
I had/have this idea to create a universal lube die (or at least caliber family "universal" 308 & 223 for starters) that would touch both the inside the neck and outside of the brass. There would be minimal pressure on the die so it could be 3D printed - I think - at least for a prototype. The inside would have threads to accept bore mops for applying a thin layer of lube. The die would be lined on the inside with "nib" material - much like a felt tip highlighter or sharpie marker. I spoke with boretech about actual outer diameters of mops and we chatted some about my idea/project. If anyone 3D prints, get back at me! I've done some legwork on this already! In theory, this would move to station 1 and shift everything a step down and keep lube out of the hopper and drop tube.

Loading Head
Station 1: Mandrel (optional) or empty
Station 2: Prime(or prime off press) & Dillon/A419 powder funnel
Station 3: powder check or empty
Station 4: Bullet seater
Station 5: crimp or empty

I have also run some MK262 clone loads through the system by priming on CPS and loading into hopper and dropping with Dillion powder measure. This also worked great but my buddy did the brass processing so I only have a "load head" for that caliber.

I think the real benefit (if speed is your goal) will be to move away from stick powders in favor of StaBall Match. I currently have so much H4350 that it's going to be a while until I make the jump. Looking forward to hearing from other guys loading precision stuff with their 650/750

I’d pay too dollars for a proper lube die.

You dont need a Lube Die. You use Lanolin/alch on the brass before you dump into case feeder for Prep toolhead. Then it gets washed off before the loading cycle.

Ive talked to a bunch of people and they claim the Armanov toolheads and lock rings are a waste of money. I ended up getting Joffer toolheads. Still bought a bunch of armanov upgrades like the primer adjuster, powder disconect and powder measure dial. They ran both and saw zero difference in runout, SD or ES. One is running a full 750 autodrive setup with all the sensors.

Staball powders are garbage. That is why one 750 will be setup with a powder through die to get fed by the supertricklers ( +_ .-02gr) and one will be dedicated with dillion powder throw for .223 PRS practice loads. If I can get 15 SD with the practice loads it will be good enough to bang MOA steel out to distance and do dot drills. H4350 is the perfect powder IMO and its all I plan to run for a long time in anything from 6GT to 300wsm.

The idea of a lube die was so I didn’t have all that lanolin mess in the hopper and drop tube to deal with. I’ve made some before and agree that it works but it’s still pretty damn messy. I’d imagine after a few hundred cases passing through, the hopper would get gunky, which would transfer to “ready to load” brass and maybe start to degrade the hoppers ability to function. If you have information otherwise, I’m happy the hear it.

I think Joffer sells on Amazon. I imagine anything is better than the OEM heads. I did Armanov based on other people’s recommendations. Armanov Floating lock rings work fine, but probably no real difference down range and they’re not real expensive.

I hadn’t heard that the staball match was garbage. Like I said, I have a ton of 4350 so it’ll be a while for me at the rate I get to shoot these days.

The powder through die was capable of the SD you’re after on my setup. I don’t have my data in front of me, but 15SD sounds about right. Good enough for practice.

Mandrel on the Brass Prep Head, the case is already lubed

Loading Head Station 1 Universal decap, to ensure media is cleared out of flash hole
That's a good idea. I was thinking media in the flash hole was going to be a problem. Never thought of doing that though!

Reactions: impactaddict
-6.5CM and 6GT with H4350 and 2 Supertricklers with the one machine
-Dedicated .223 with Dillon powder throw on the other machine. Will start with TAC and see how it goes. Would love to use XBR8202 but its unobtainable.
What 223 bullet?

This is my next project and I’m super excited. I have an amp mate and it’s amazing, coupling that with a 750 and a bunch of different tool heads I feel like I’m gonna save hours of time.

I’d imagine after a few hundred cases passing through, the hopper would get gunky, which would transfer to “ready to load” brass and maybe start to degrade the hoppers ability to function. If you have information otherwise, I’m happy the hear it.
This is true, but easy to clean up every several thousand rounds or whenever it looks like enough to bother.
It only takes a few moments to clean up the case feeder and tube. Only additional comment would be not to let it sit for months or uncovered, dust and age will make it take longer to clean, so do it when before the lube residues get old and don't let dust accumulate in the hopper.

+1 on the Index Cam Block with Adjustable Primer Stop. It really helps tune the priming depth.

Reactions: LR1845
What are you all using for the powder die and funnel to drop pre measured loads. Is every one using the 419 funnel? Anyone using the EC funnel?

Cool thread - I don't have a Dillion 750, still do all my reloading on x1 Forster Co-ax press.

Tooling up a 750 to do precision reloading would be the tits though.

MKM Machining used to make a printed adapter to use their printed funnel on a Dillon Powder through die, but I can't find it on their website

The Lyman Extended Powder Charge Die might work as a solid drop tube, I'm looking for some kind of 7/8"-14 reducer w/ through hole that could be bored out. Someone with a printer could just print a threaded bushing or see if the EC funnel will work on top

Last edited: