• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Optic for 14.3" AR - Is the Elcan still a good option?

TacosGigante

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2013
VA
Looking to put a LPVO or functional equivalent on a LMT Estonia Reference Rifle (5.56, 14.3" barrel, piston)

Use case - Close to 200-300 yards, paper, steel, and varmints.

Desired attributes - good 1x (ish) field of view, forgiving eye box and eye relief, bright dot, being light is good, robust construction, works well with a clip-on thermal adapter mounted for the scope.

Price - I'd like to keep it to around $2000 all in, but if it goes a little higher to get the right optic, so be it.

I was looking at all the usual suspects, but I don't think I will end up using 8-10x much. I am intrigued by the Elcan 1/4x or 1.5/6x. I have no experience with them but in theory I like the simplicity and ease of switching between the min and max magnification. I have heard conflicting things on the eye box and eye relief.

What should I do?

Thanks

Reactions: jh2785 and simonp
Seems you’d get more bang for your buck with a vortex razor LPVO

If it wasnt for the gov contracts I don’t think they’d get anywhere near that price point, only shot one once, quality was fine, but unless you abuse your equipment and have negative mechanical sympathy, or need it to hammer tent stakes, I’d look at what the 3 gun guys are running.

I have Elcan's. They are great if you are jumping out of airplanes or banging them on the sides of an apc and need an optic that won't fail. As a precision sight they are only OK.

I have both

Elcan and LPVO weigh about the same, LPVO might weigh a hair more depending on LPVO/mount.
LPVO will have better range as far as magnification goes.
Elcan will be more rugged and handle more abuse.
Elcan glass is top notch, LPVO glass will depend on brand.
Both will benefit from a secondary red dot.
Elcan will take up less real estate.
Both will be a great option, just depends on what you want.

Honestly, probably the 1-6 vortex razor gen2E at those distances if you don't want or need 8-10x. It's going to give you a really good eyebox and eye relief, a bright center dot, a good 1x and the near magical disappearing bezel even enhances your perception of the field of view. I feel that LPVO will give you more flexibility than an elcan. Just my thoughts

Looking to put a LPVO or functional equivalent on a LMT Estonia Reference Rifle (5.56, 14.3" barrel, piston)

Use case - Close to 200-300 yards, paper, steel, and varmints.

Desired attributes - good 1x (ish) field of view, forgiving eye box and eye relief, bright dot, being light is good, robust construction, works well with a clip-on thermal adapter mounted for the scope.

Price - I'd like to keep it to around $2000 all in, but if it goes a little higher to get the right optic, so be it.

I was looking at all the usual suspects, but I don't think I will end up using 8-10x much. I am intrigued by the Elcan 1/4x or 1.5/6x. I have no experience with them but in theory I like the simplicity and ease of switching between the min and max magnification. I have heard conflicting things on the eye box and eye relief.

What should I do?

Thanks
What did you end up going with? I’m considering an Elcan.