• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optical/functional differences between SFP and Dual FP?

Slick66

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2008
Cumming, Georgia, USA
I have a S&B SHort Dot 1-8X with the basic reticle. I believe it was sold before they produced the dual focal plane version.

What would be the optical or functional differences between the two?

Sorry, I am pretty much a total beginner with optics, compared to you guys.

Allows for intense illumination in the second focal plane. In terms of the Short Dot, this gets you a more red dot like illuminated dot at 1x.

I believe the Dual CC might be dual parallax too, but I’ll let @koshkin educate us all.

Reactions: Slick66
The short explanation is that reticle visibility for speed on 1x is easier to achieve with the SFP reticle, while holding with the reticle is much better with a FFP reticle. By combining both, you can have the best of both worlds, but at higher cost and greater complexity.

I'll be doing another livestream on Thursday and if you chime in and remind me, I can go over that in more detail. I am travelling this week, so it will be from my hotel room, i.e. no props, but I can do an electronic whiteboard to sketch out an explanation as necessary.

Dual CC does indeed have dual focal plane reticle and dual focus functionality.

ILya

The short explanation is that reticle visibility for speed on 1x is easier to achieve with the SFP reticle, while holding with the reticle is much better with a FFP reticle. By combining both, you can have the best of both worlds, but at higher cost and greater complexity.

I'll be doing another livestream on Thursday and if you chime in and remind me, I can go over that in more detail. I am travelling this week, so it will be from my hotel room, i.e. no props, but I can do an electronic whiteboard to sketch out an explanation as necessary.

Dual CC does indeed have dual focal plane reticle and dual focus functionality.

ILya
No props? What about sock puppets? 🤣

...and of course the wife will know that all you've been doing in your hotel room is livestreaming about reticles.

What did they say about the "Lone Ranger" at the end of the show... "Who was that masked man?".

You're a scholar and a gentleman Koshkin

Last edited: