• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ordering a new SP10. Caliber considerations?

ClangClang

Private
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2017
UT
Me
I'm a novice long range shooter. I'm on the verge of ordering a new Seekins SP10. No other manufacturers are being considered at this time. I like what Seekins is doing and wish to support them and their business. I don't reload, and likely won't start reloading any time soon. For now, his will be my only "long range" rifle other than a 18" DMR type AR15. A bolt gun may be a possibility in 2019.

Pertinent Info
My intended usage will be for competition. I compete in 2 main disciplines:
  • Run N Gun matches where you have a 3-12 mile run, with carbine-style stages every so often along the way. Round counts are typically 75-100 rifle rounds per match. Sometimes with close up hosing (15 shots in 4 seconds, etc). Range is typically 3-500 yards. This rifle would be for "Heavy" division where any AR10 platform is acceptable. Accuracy requirements are easy - typically around 3MOA or bigger, but in these matches speed is more important. I regularly place top 10 and occasionally take high overall shooter. I am competitive and wish to remain competitive.

• I occasionally shoot a PRS or Sniper match. I shot Mammoth Sniper Challenge in January as my team's Secondary Shooter and enjoyed myself quite a bit. I can see shooting maybe 1 multi-day Sniper match per year, along with maybe 3-4 PRS matches, just to stay fresh and help hone fundamentals. For now, I'm lucky to place in the top 50%. I would like to be competitive one day, but I am just starting out and for now, these types of matches are not a priority for me. Just something fun to do.
Caliber selection
On the one hand, .308 is cheaper, easier to find, and more "flexible" with regards to some matches. For all the Sniper matches I've looked at (Mammoth, Vortex, Sniper Adventure Challenge, etc), the secondary shooter is almost always restricted to .308 or 5.56. But on the other hand, I'm drawn to the 6.5CM for the enhanced ballistics and all the other reasons 6.5 is favored by PRS shooters. However, if I get in 6.5, for any Sniper matches I enter, I would have to be the Primary Shooter, which puts me in competition against the guys with $5000 custom actions. That also might make finding a partner for these matches difficult - it's way easier to join an experienced shooter when I happily volunteer to be Secondary/Spotter.

Thoughts? Help me spend some money! Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I think buying the gasser in .308 and saving for a while until I can get a 6.5 bolt is probably the better choice.

SP10 in 6.5cm. Factory ammo can get you within 1.5 MOA or better and will make you competitive for 3-4 PRS Matches. And do better with Run N Gun. Currently your using your DMR 5.56 as a secondary spotter for Sniper Challenge? Then keep using that for the year until you get a 308 bolt gun. You can get a donor action and match barrel for under $1500 for the 308 package. You might realize when you get stuck against the $$$ competition that they up your game and you will find more ways to improve.. If you go 6.5 CM see what Glen hears is the best ammo for their barrels.

Interesting suggestion. You definitely go against the popular wisdom of .308 gasser, 6.5 bolt. Care to go into a little more detail on your reasoning? I don't think 6.5 will be any more competitive in RnG matches over .308. And then my real long range shooting is hampered by having a .308 bolt instead of a 6.5. Am I missing something?

It seemed you wanted a 6.5CM and weren't really ready to spend money on a custom action. I see the seekins as a step up from production class, you learn the trajectories and dope early on. Not sure you would ever go to .308 later, if you got better and placed higher, it would be a mute point going to .308. It looks like precision factory ammo might be better in 6.5CM because that is what the industry is pushing for. And your not reloading. If your plan is to have a more accurate long range bolt gun in 6.5CM . Then go .308 Seekins and start eating Top Ramen....

A 308 gasser isn't going to do much that your 556 won't. 6.5 Creedmoor is ballistically superior to both but a gas gun is a poor choice for PRS unless you're talking about the gas gun series. I've never seen anyone do well at all with a gasser at a bolt gun match.

I don't see the Creedmoor providing enough of an advantage over 556 for secondary shooter (DMR) either, these targets are typically generous in size and reasonable in distance figuring that most shooters are going to be running 556 with 77gr.

I'd spend my money on a 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun. I know it's obviously not what you want to hear but it's what you'll be happier with in the long run.