• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Over tighten scope rings on Nightforce!

STLSteve86

Overtorquer
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2013
in a hurry to get a last minute build zeroed in for deer season I tightened my ultralight NF rings to 45in-lbs on a 5-25 ATACR! I knew what I did after I torqued them. Looking at my fat max I read the right side. Left some nice ring marks that I can feel. It doesn’t look like I stretched the screws but I don’t know if 25in-lbs is now tight enough. Hope I didn’t damage the scope.

in a hurry to get a last minute build zeroed in for deer season I tightened my ultralight NF rings to 45in-lbs on a 5-25 ATACR! I knew what I did after I torqued them. Looking at my fat max I read the right side. Left some nice ring marks that I can feel. It doesn’t look like I stretched the screws but I don’t know if 25in-lbs is now tight enough. Hope I didn’t damage the scope.
Ouch. Hope it works out.

I don’t think I compromised the functions of the scope. Just disappointed in myself. I doubt NF can do anything for me other than give me piece of mind.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
ultra-maroon.jpg

Reactions: Steel head
If you give NF a call they may be able to replace the tube. They had to replace the tube on my 5-25 ATACR a couple of years ago, they just swapped the guts and turrets over and it's been good to go since. You'll probably have to pay for it but in the long run it'll pay off.

15 inch pounds really going to hold a 34mm scope? I’ll trash $200 set of Nightforce rings and buy some heavy duty rings. Live and learn.

no I will not hide it if I ever plan on selling it

Guess I’m just use to the badger 6 screw. Ill see if I can get some screws for it to see if they stretched.

so is there a lighter torque for the cross bolt the bolt on the ultralight rings as well?

If you give NF a call they may be able to replace the tube. They had to replace the tube on my 5-25 ATACR a couple of years ago, they just swapped the guts and turrets over and it's been good to go since. You'll probably have to pay for it but in the long run it'll pay off.

I will call Nightforce and see what they can do. Thanks

For the record, Nightforce product literature for NF Ultralite rings state no more than 68 in/lbs for the cross bolts (I've always torqued mine to 65 in/lbs, no issues) and 25 in/lbs on the ring cap screws (Again I've always torqued mine to 15 in/lbs with no issues).

For the record, Nightforce product literature for NF Ultralite rings state no more than 68 in/lbs for the cross bolts (I've always torqued mine to 65 in/lbs, no issues) and 25 in/lbs on the ring cap screws (Again I've always torqued mine to 15 in/lbs with no issues).
Where did you find that. I have a pair and it says 15 inch lbs on the package. The 25 inch lbs is for the steel rings.

I did 60 in-lbs on the cross bolt.
so should I just toss the rings and call those a loss?

Here is what I have for reference for Nightforce

Attachments

• 9CDC4AE6-95BD-4163-97C3-9B528D8CD596.png
    9CDC4AE6-95BD-4163-97C3-9B528D8CD596.png
    207.1 KB · Views: 503
As long as you have no parallax or zoom issues I think you’re fine.

Even if you left decent ring marks, I’d still tighten to 15-20 in/lb.

Regardless of what you did, the rings probably still have a gap between screws. I’m guessing it’ll still apply 15-20 in/lb force pretty evenly.

Oh if the
I did 60 in-lbs on the cross bolt.
so should I just toss the rings and call those a loss?

Here is what I have for reference for Nightforce

Huh? Did you put 60 in/lb on the cross bolt or the RINGS?

it says on what you posted that the cross bolt can be at 68 in/lb and you did 60.

Oh if the

Huh? Did you put 60 in/lb on the cross bolt or the RINGS?

it says on what you posted that the cross bolt can be at 68 in/lb and you did 60.
He was being cautious. Better safe than sorry. ?

Your scope should be fine. Back in my very early days I way overtorqued a Steiner scope in badger rings (I'm talking probably 50+ inch lbs at least). Went back, reset the rings to what they were supposed to be. Yes I left some ring marks but the scope functioned great.

So side bar question. Everyone is saying torque to 15-20 pounds. Nightforce says torque to 25. If I torques mine to 25 would that be a problem?

Shouldn’t be any. On my smaller cartridges I use the bottom end of what a ring manufacturers calls for.

for bigger rounds I torqe closer to manufacturer specs.

Reactions: GySgt Smith JE
Scope ring torque is a bit of a negotiation between the scope and the rings. The rings might take it but the tube crushes.

Imagine an asian pussy clamped around, say for example, my baseball bat of a cock.

It’s all fun and games until she sneezes and my dick is crushed so hard my balls come shooting out of my ass like spitwads...

Look at both the rings and the scope manual for torque values and use the lesser of the two. Unless the rings say 15 - go with that - or they are ARC rings which work totally differently and need like 45 in lbs.

Nice analogy!!!

I will get a new set of NF or badger steel rings and test the scope. Thanks for all the help.

on a side note why does Nightforce even make 34mm rings. I can see 30mm and 1” but most 34mm scope get a decent amount of recoil. I’m sure they will they hold no doubt. I got these in a pinch just to get me through deer season.

If you was just using a plain ol' hand driver this would not have happened. Manufacturers spend all day answering these torque questions and we all pay for it at the register. I can hear them in the break room. "It needs to have a 0 or 5 at the end we can't tell them it is 17 or even just use a reasonable amount as long as they are consistent. Jesus, spend the money on a torque tool then commence to fuck shit up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will get a new set of NF or badger steel rings and test the scope. Thanks for all the help.

on a side note why does Nightforce even make 34mm rings. I can see 30mm and 1” but most 34mm scope get a decent amount of recoil. I’m sure they will they hold no doubt. I got these in a pinch just to get me through deer season.

I’d just torque correctly with the rings you have. Will probably hold just fine at correct torque. Especially with your custom recoil lugs in your scope tube

Use loctite and new screws if worried about stretch. If it works than great if not than buy new rings. They’ll probably be fine

Last edited:
I am going to upgrade my inch-pound torque tool to a snap on also.

How to ensure this never happens:

1. Buy optic, read manual, highlight torque settings, and write info in data book/on the lid of your maintenance kit.

2. Buy fix-it-stick torque limiters for the required values and put them in your maintenance kit.

3. Use torque limiters as instructed when installing accessories and/or performing routine maintenance

All that being said, just properly mount up your scope, take it to the range, run tracking tests, and go hunting. I’m sure the optic is fine but you should run it through some tests. Too easy not to.

Reactions: DOA
I torqued to 18in lbs with a weaver tactical 6-30x56 (heavy scope) with 4 screw ultralights with a little dab of blue loc tite on the caps and the bottom of the scope ring. Never moves on a savage 112 mag target 338 lapua. The lock tite cleans right off scope and rings if ever removed.

Your scope might be okay.

I did the same thing mounting my first scope - metal badger USMC rings on a Steiner M5 scope. Put so much torque on the rings (I had ft-lbs in my head, not inch lbs) that I bent the metal rings to the point they are completely non-functional. Scope is completely fine.

Quite honestly I was amazed the Steiner scope survived, only damage was some ring marks. Many years later, it's still going strong. Nightforce has a reputation for being pretty tough, the scope may still be 100% functional.

Oh, and do yourself a favor and get some ARC M10 rings.

OP: In the interest of recycling, I'll take those rings if you no longer trust them; I'll even pay the shipping!:)

As kthomas said, your scope may be just fine. It is a Nightforce after all. Retighten to proper torque specs and rezero, test tracking to see if it still works. If it still works then its a keeper that passed your personal torture test.

Wait, so they can hammer a nail into a log with one, but if you over torque the rings, it's possibly ruined?

Reactions: .50 Cal Cow
I personally think your scope will be just fine as well. I mean we are talking abt 45 INCH lbs not FOOT lbs. There is no way you stretch the threads on the rings screws enough to damage the tube I don’t think. It’s a damn NF, its tough!

It probably will be ok. It’s not my first Nightforce either. The ring marks are noticeable but not the worst I’ve ever ever seen. Just pissed at my self because it was flawless. I will track it as soon as I get time

Everything I've seen on torque for 6-32 screws says 15-20. I set mine on 18 or as close as I can using a Fat Wrench.