• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Pistol primers vs Rifle primers

Rob.308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2012
Does anyone what the difference is between Large Rifle primers and Large Pistol primers.

They are the same size so what is the difference between them? Are they interchangeable?

It seems like every time I go to load .45 rounds I am out of the pistol primers.

Thanks,
Rob

Re: Pistol primers vs Rifle primers

LP primers are shorter (or whatever you want to call it) than LR primers. An example: I measured some just now. LP = .120" and LR = .128". This is just a sample of Federal LP match and LR match that I had on my bench. This is not even touching on the relative strengths between them.

Unless you may have some specific application, use them for what they are designed for.

BPCR shooters routinely use LP primers, but again, that is a very specific application and they ain't beginners. Not implying you are of course.

Re: Pistol primers vs Rifle primers

Thanks for your input. It is always helpful to tap into the knowledge on the site.

V/r
Rob