• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Practical SBRs

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    Are in 6.8 or 300blk unless you are dependent on dod supply channels or are preping for a walking dead scenario.

Sbr .223s are retarted for defense /car guns when so many better options exist.

Prove me wrong

Bren2Ms762.png

My experience was shooting a buddy's 5.55 brand pistol......we didnt throw my suppressor on it........I had one layer of ear pro....took 3 shots and was done.......

I'm with deersniper......6.8, .300 BO or other calibers besides 5.56 AND with a can on it

Yeah, every short barrel I have shot has been that way. I made the mistake one time of shooting a buddies with a muzzle brake, it was ridiculous, even with ear pro on.

Yeah....this one had a brake too.....I'd only ever shoot another one without a suppressor in an emergency situation

Reactions: digitalshooter
    Sub-sonic 300BO. Very effective round and won’t make your ears bleed

Yeah....this one had a brake too.....I'd only ever shoot another one without a suppressor in an emergency situation

Yeah, and in a gunfight you don't have time to put earpro on. It would be great if suppressor laws would change and I could just keep a can on my truck gun.

Reactions: Kamerad
    Sub-sonic 300BO. Very effective round and won’t make your ears bleed
    Supersonic 300BO unbraked in a short barrel is fine.
    556 sucks without a suppressor and suppressed weapons arent truck guns.

That is the CZ Bren 2Ms available in 7.62x39 and 5.56
    P.S. I like the 300BLK round. They all have a place in my heart.

Reactions: Waorani
    McCourt has some nice SBR loads. One was a TSX and another was vmax. I have some here to test out as a final load from him that I haven't gotten around to doing yet. I was honestly surprised how accurate they were with what I was shooting. There's some contract overrun 62? or maybe 68? grain stuff out there that SGA has a bunch of that's doing realy well from SBRs too. I'd have to check the safe to see what exactly it weighs. Price wise, it's great shit to stock up on.

One thing I will say, since it seems the conversation is going that direction, is that in my thought process a SBR is similar to a pistol in use. A SBR wouldn't be my primary, it would be a supplement to a real long gun. ie...AX is the primary, SBR is carried to be put into action during movement and such and a pistol is carried to fight my way back to them if shit gets real sideways.

There’s nothing wrong with a 5.56 SBR. Bonded soft points expand down to ~1800 FPS.

A 10” unsuppressed 5.56 sbr without earpro will damage your hearing. A 10” 300 Blk will damage your hearing without earpro, regardless of ammo.

I’ll take the 5.56 any day. Ammo is cheap and I don’t have to worry about mixing up mags loaded with 300 with my 5.56. TRASOL shows a 10.3” 5.56 with 5.56 pressure ammo having expansion velocity to 275 yards.

5A766612-A9D3-4D6F-809B-2D98E18A7CD5.png

^yeah but a .30 is already .30. Expanding is just a cherry on top.

Srsly good info tho

Not sure that was how it was intended, but it’s how I read it, and it worked for me.

i feel like there’s an opportunity for some type of Ford/Chevy debate as well as to which would be able to drive away from the location, but I’m getting out of here before that happens!

Reactions: McReef
    I love the SBR subsonic 300Blk guys...they're easy to spot too. They're the ones always swearing that they "shot that hog right here" and "I have no idea where it must have run off to".

In all seriousness though, the good Lord has blessed me with being able to acquire pretty much every flavor in question and then some. I now choose the 6.8 as my minimum for killing shit that can hurt me pretty badly. Having a hog turn on you sucks, but it happens a lot less when you bring enough energy and don't rely on making that near perfect shot. While not a direct comparison, if it kills hogs better, it's probably going to work on humans better too. Change my mind...

Of course, everything I say is turned to bullshit because I run a DDM4V7 as my HD rig. ?

Plenty of good .22cal bullets these days that expand, tumble, frag or some combination thereof at 10.5” muzzle velocities.

Inside 100m, which is probably double or more typical SBR engagement ranges, is there REALLY any tangible difference on a soft target?

Used to hunt pigs with a 12.5" 6.8. Wouldnt want to go less than that for those things. Yeah- they do suck when they charge or get back up. At night when they cant see it happens more as they just charge blind in all directions. Been meaning to pick up the 13" barrel for the SCAR-17. The 308 is worlds better on them than the 6.8. Or just rock a bullpup in 556.

Reactions: deersniper
    You really believe that shit?
    That .300 or 6.8 are head and shoulders above a .223 when handicapped by a short barrel? Yes. Definitely.
    16” isn’t so much difference.

Oh and not to mention the diffeeence in muzzle blast/concussion.

There is more bore volume. Similar to 16” .308 versus 20” 6.5

How short is short? I know below 11.5in .223 becomes more anemic than usual but 11.5in is pretty short and still effective.

You can take 300BO down to 7in, what is possible with 6.8 in regards to barrel length reduction?

That .300 or 6.8 are head and shoulders above a .223 when handicapped by a short barrel? Yes. Definitely.
    16” isn’t so much difference.

Oh and not to mention the diffeeence in muzzle blast/concussion.

There is more bore volume. Similar to 16” .308 versus 20” 6.5
    Believe as you wish an pray, reality never comes calling.

Is the argument a larger bore round is “better”, or that a stubnose 5.56 is “ineffective”?

Those are different arguments.

I doubt anybody here would laugh off a Mk262, Mk318, Federal Fusion, TAP GMX or similar to the chest at 100m...

Reactions: M8541Reaper
    I've never seen, different levels of dead. There might be some somewhere but I have not seen them to date,... It's interesting that our kin an forefathers settled this country with Knifes, Hawks, wire an Muzzle Loaders yet as time marched on we need XXX to survive to over come a human when the bulk whence from just recoil.

The Six8's(UCIW)8.5" barrel can send 90gr to 2450fps. While not a common setup for the caliber, it's an option. I personally think a 12.5" 6.8 is where it shines, I can send factory 120gr SSTs to 2440-2460fps. Once you get into 12.5" though, the 6.5g comes into play also, it does well out of that length barrel.

I shoot a 12.5" 223 also, factory 75gr does 2530fps.

I have seen a lot of people shot full of holes.

If it hits vitals, it messes em up. The human torso is full of vitals and nothing else. Doesnt have to hit heart or lungs to be fatal. Lots of vasculature that bleeds in unreal ways.

People (other than a very few or like the jihadis hopped up on dope) arent that tough and collapse when being shot.
    Even if they dont die (because they are scooped up, treated, and taken to a trauma center) they are out of the fight.

I have seen dead from a .22 and alive from a 12g at close range. More than once on both.

And as for SBR 556, I have seen than too. A mess beyond your wildest dreams.

Just do doubles from the pelvis to the shoulders. It will stop em.

And dont most of our spec ops guys carry shortys? In 556?........ ?

Seems some terrorist caught a round from one and died. Oh yeah, bin Laden.

Time for some bourbon! ?

60 Vmax
    62 Gold Dot
    62 TSX
    I have an SBR optimized load with 60 Vmax & 62 TSX, beginning work on a 62 GD load.
    2570 from 10.5” bbl with 60 Vmax & 62 TSX, I’m expecting very similar with 62 GD.

I'd listen to this guy.

Reactions: Crang
    This thread is heading straight towards Retardville.
    Heading there? It started there. Circular track...
    I've never seen, different levels of dead. There might be some somewhere but I have not seen them to date,... It's interesting that our kin an forefathers settled this country with Knifes, Hawks, wire an Muzzle Loaders yet as time marched on we need XXX to survive to over come a human when the bulk whence from just recoil.

I go to round is .77 gr MK262 in my SBR........
    .77 grain? I'd bump it up to at least 1.0 grain...

60 Vmax
    62 Gold Dot
    62 TSX
    I have an SBR optimized load with 60 Vmax & 62 TSX, beginning work on a 62 GD load.
    2570 from 10.5” bbl with 60 Vmax & 62 TSX, I’m expecting very similar with 62 GD.

It's been a while since I threw the V3 on mine, but I could swear my LMT 10.5" upper with an SDN6 was slinging 64gr GDs at closer to 2800.

Edit: The more I think about it, I think it was 2800+ with 55gr XM193 and 2650 or something like that with 64gr Gold Dot. I wish they'd not discontinued the 64s, or I'd be more inclined to go run some over the V3 again.

Last edited:
    Are in 6.8 or 300blk unless you are dependent on dod supply channels or are preping for a walking dead scenario.

Sbr .223s are retarted for defense /car guns when so many better options exist.

Prove me wrong
    -
    No love for the 60 grn. 5.45x39 , 74 side-folder, with 8" barrel ?