• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Preban Colt for precision rifle?

Jackpine_Savage

Private
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2009
Todd County, Minnesota
First post here, looking for some thoughts.

I've got the urge to put together a scoped AR that will be used for varmints and practice. I just picked up a JP VTAC rifle length handguard. Also have a Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10 M3 to put on it.

Now the question(s). I have a never fired Colt preban 6700 sitting in the safe. Were they accurate? Could I get sub moa out of this gun? It has a fixed front sight, 1/9 twist barrel. Are there any other down sides to this era gun?

Re: Preban Colt for precision rifle?

You will never know unless you try it. I do know the chances of getting a pre-ban 6100 H Bar to shoot 1 MOA were pretty good but then again who knows unless you shot and load develop.

I've got a NIB 6700 in my safe too. I had an old SP1 16" 1 in 12 twist- skinny barrel that would hold an inch and have a 16" HB 6700 1 in 9 twist that will hold around 3/4".

Really it's going to depend on your barrel, and that quality varies from rifle to rifle. You're free floating it.... great and the right move but not the end-all be-all. Quite frankly you're going to just have to get out there and shoot it to know.

Me personally, I prefer quality stainless steel barrels. They don't cost much at all, and the gained benefits are worth it. Chrome lining is for machine guns and carbine course range beaters.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I haven't heard anything discouraging yet so I think I'll give it a go. I was just trying to avoid going on a fools errand.