• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof or bartlein again?

STLSteve86

Overtorquer
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2013
Building a new hunting rifle. I don’t want to sacrifice accuracy over weight but I want to stay as light as possible. I will be using a suppressor.

I use Bartlein on my AI barrels where weight isn't a factor and Proof on my Lone Peak and Sako for hunting to save weight.

No accuracy issues with either

Got a proof on my 338 lm, and 6mm creedmoor. Love them both! Also use them for weight savings. Haven't used a Bartlein barrel yet, but have always heard good things about them.

If cost isnt an issue (not as likely to shoot out a hunting barrel super quick)

I'd go proof every day of the week. They look better than a thin barrel. Dont have to cerekote it. And they are just as accurate

Reactions: ShootnFool8
Thanks guys. I guess I should say it will be a 6.5 creedmoor if that matters. So 22”-24” would be my length. Factory ammo will be used until I find time to roll my own.

Will I get the same accuracy in a proof as a bartlein? I’ve had .25-.38 with hand loads with bartlein so I would be very happy if a proof can do that.

Will I get the same accuracy in a proof as a bartlein? I’ve had .25-.38 with hand loads with bartlein so I would be very happy if a proof can do that.
if you're capable and a good smith does the barrel then yes. i imagine their prefits are the best option as theyre basically the same price as a blank

My Proof shoots so well in my 6.5, I just ordered another for my 6 Creed. I have a Bartlein on my 308. All are very accurate. I doubt if you had them side by side you would know which was which on paper.

I was going to ask about a smith next without getting to far off topic. Why shouldn’t I just get a gun from proof?

I was going to ask about a smith next without getting to far off topic. Why shouldn’t I just get a gun from proof?
if it does everything you want. the elevation is a good package. proof barrel and stock. bighorn origin action. triggertech trigger

really depends what you want. you could buy a Bighorn/Long Peak/Impact and any prefit barrel(Bighorn can be prechambered from proof) and your exact trigger and exact stock/chassis and put it together yourself with basic tools

Proof will show more mirage shooting strings suppressed. It disperses heat more rapidly.
Not being critical. I have and use several.

Reactions: AMGtuned
looks aside, if you actually use it as a hunting rifle 1-2 shots a bart 3B is almost the exact same weight as a proof

It’s will be a hunting only gun. 1-3 shots at a time at most. I had heavy mirage on a m24 fluted bartlien after 10 rounds past 700 yards also. I would like to replicate the terminus gun proof makes. I don’t see enough reviews of it to go that rout.

^^^i was going to say it but didn’t want to start a shit storm...lol

Not much to say after it comes from the horses mouth.

What ever you decide get a 4 groove they shoot a little better then the 5R's. The 5R's clean easier but the 4 groove's are The Money...

But what would I know ;)

Mike R.

Reactions: bjay and RTH1800
Mike, I’ve only had experience with 6 groove and 5r. Will a 4 groove be able to stabilize various weights? I’ll see what I can find on 4 groove as well.