• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Question for Canadian gunners

Red Ryder

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Just read this article link and I'm surprised at how completely vindictive the Canadian govt is in regards to firemarms ownership/use. Like the US, the eastern part of Canada seems to be hell bent against guns while the western part seems to be much more reasonable, if not friendly. Is this a correct interpreation on my part? Would a case like this have been filed in BC, for instance?

Many thanks for your comments.

Re: Question for Canadian gunners

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedRyder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just read this article link and I'm surprised at how completely vindictive the Canadian govt is in regards to firemarms ownership/use. </div></div>The FEDERAL gov't at this time, is quite supportive of lawful firearms owners, as well as Citizens rights to protect themselves and their homes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedRyder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like the US, the eastern part of Canada seems to be hell bent against guns while the western part seems to be much more reasonable, if not friendly. </div></div>In the Eastern portion of this Country, the PROVINCIAL and MUNICIPAL gov'ts are more sensitive about their 'feelings' and 'municitrual cycles' because they ain't finished learning about reality, logic, or inevitability of firearm laws/restrictions. That, and the fact that there's still idiots out there who were brought up with the ideology of "My parents voted Liberal, my Grandparents voted Liberal, so I's gonna votes Liberals teoooo" (But out of the goodness of our hearts, we're working on getting them dentures/dental implants.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedRyder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this a correct interpreation on my part? </div></div>I would say so, in general terms.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedRyder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would a case like this have been filed in BC, for instance?</div></div>In some parts of it, unfortunately yes. There's areas there that're still broken. It's all that Utopian Honkouver outlook, where the "Hollyweird North" wants to be just like it's sister-slut in the south. Much less chance of it in the Northern portion of the Province, or in Alberta, Saskatchewan, many areas of Manitoba, and even some parts of Northern Ontario. (High amounts of firearms enthusiasts) Quebec though, I don't know of any/many good reasons to prevent them from separating. Most think that they should be cut from the country, and set adrift in the Atlantic. We'd just build a long-assed bridge from Ontario straight-through to New Brunswick. There actually IS still hope in alot of the Maritimes. Lotta firearm culture and business's out there, too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedRyder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Many thanks for your comments. </div></div> Don't thank us yet, there's bound to be some more/other 'colorful' thoughts expressed.

In Ontario it's crime to load a restricted firearm (handgun) anywhere but a range approved by the attorney general.

That's why "Soon thereafter, Crown attorneys charged Thomson with careless use of a firearm. These charges were later dropped, and he was charged with two counts of unsafe storage..."

It's another example of how so-called 'safe storage' laws are used to confiscate firearms in the wake of an incident.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any other Canuckians gonna chime in and confirm/refute the above statements?</div></div>

It's no different than California, New Jersey, or Chicago. The left leaning areas will abuse their authority and aggressively pursue those fringe cases.

Out in the country, things tend to be more relaxed and realistic.

The hard part is that the Canadian political scene is still very left leaning so the current "ruling" Conservatives (not all that Conservative) have to be very careful in how they repeal the damage from the years and years of liberal damage that was done before them.

Quebec is the worst, the provincial government is trying to keep the registry that the federal abolished.

They are closing 20% of the beds in the local hospital and reducing services, but planning on spending on a filing cabinet(registry) to "protect" my health.

Can't wait to retire and move away from these morons.

Sean, the nailer, pretty much "nailed" it. Here in western Canada it very much a different mindset, the problem is that as more people from eastern Canada move out here for work they bring there "values" with them. Kind of what is going on in Colorado with all the kalifornia transplants.