• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Question for LMT folks

Coon Hound

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2019
I’m looking at a couple LMT 5.56 guns and I’m a little confused as to what model I’m looking at bc the model numbers don’t match anything on their website. Not sure if their website doesn’t list everything they produce or what. But I’m interested in an LM8MRP SC on gunbroker — https://www.gunbroker.com/item/855627343

Anyway, just curious if this has a model name or there’s anything official about it from LMT? Or any info from anyone would be good. Looking for a target gun — I’m also looking at their piston model — and I’m a fan of LMT in general. Thank you.

LMT from what I've seen is strange with their complete rifle models. Because they're modular you can easily make a complete rifle by purchasing lower, upper, and barrel and slapping together.

That specific one I don't see on their website-same as you. It might be an older model or could have been made not sure on that?

The breakdown on that particular one looks like a

Defender lower. Their newest lower is the fully ambi MARS but they still make and sell this one so it's not outdated.

The upper is their "slick" upper-newer than the the quad rail and older than the MLOK. That particular one looks like the rifle length.

Barrel must be their SS 16" 5R cut rifled. Not sure where they get the "ultra match" descriptors-LMT never does that even though they probably are cause their SS barrels in particular in my experience are all shooters.

The rest-BCG and trigger also sound like what all of their complete rifles ship with. It's legit.

Reactions: Coon Hound
I appreciate the info. Thank you. What do you think of this combo compared to the one listed?

MARS/2-stage/MLC Upper/16" SS 5R/SOPMOD
@The DFC

Last edited:
All of those components are still in production so not necessarily outdated-but I get what you're saying. The slick uppers are on the heavy side-lighter than the quad rails but heavier than the MLOK. They also have a proprietary mounting system-so you have to get the adapters from LMT if you want mount picatinny rail secion or light etc. LMTs are battle rifles and they're never going to be light like say a BCM or even KAC.

Their stainless barrels are 5r cut rifled and they are very accurate. Their Chrome lined barrels shoot great too-I have a New Zealand reference rifle and it hovers around 1moa. If you want a 16" target gun that barrel is as good as you're going to get from LMT. I think they also have a 20".

V1 tactical is a newer dealer with good prices-check them out. They have Defenders in stock-super low prices. You could pick that up-and buy the SS barrel from LMT for less then the gun broker one. MLOK upper but still has the Defender lower.

Their prices are great but most he has to order from LMT and will take months to get.

LMT from what I've seen is strange with their complete rifle models. Because they're modular you can easily make a complete rifle by purchasing lower, upper, and barrel and slapping together.

That specific one I don't see on their website-same as you. It might be an older model or could have been made not sure on that?

The breakdown on that particular one looks like a

Defender lower. Their newest lower is the fully ambi MARS but they still make and sell this one so it's not outdated.

The upper is their "slick" upper-newer than the the quad rail and older than the MLOK. That particular one looks like the rifle length.

Barrel must be their SS 16" 5R cut rifled. Not sure where they get the "ultra match" descriptors-LMT never does that even though they probably are cause their SS barrels in particular in my experience are all shooters.

The rest-BCG and trigger also sound like what all of their complete rifles ship with. It's legit.
Thank you. Very helpful.

Reactions: Zorrosdens
I’ve put this a couple times in other threads but it helps clues to weight changes with different parts some, this is for the 308 MWS parts. Can’t remember how found it, I think it was in a support type location regarding for that type weapon system probably available for the 556 too someplace from the main site ...I guess?. Don’t hesitate to call them, they are helpful from my small experiences.

I called and wanted one Combat Rifle MWS, but wanted it full profile 16” chrome barreled with the bird-cage flash hider and found my dealer and he made an account to be able to have it shipped to him and then to my FFL transfer people local for me, facilitating a discounted cost and no tax. Worked for me. LMT were very good about hearing from me and getting it right thru-out. As an example.
DC42E7D1-4698-496A-B1B0-090A902B98FA.jpeg

I’m looking at a couple LMT 5.56 guns and I’m a little confused as to what model I’m looking at bc the model numbers don’t match anything on their website. Not sure if their website doesn’t list everything they produce or what. But I’m interested in an LM8MRP SC on gunbroker — https://www.gunbroker.com/item/855627343

Anyway, just curious if this has a model name or there’s anything official about it from LMT? Or any info from anyone would be good. Looking for a target gun — I’m also looking at their piston model — and I’m a fan of LMT in general. Thank you.

before you buy from gb, Reach out to recoilgunworks. They have the best prices I’ve seen for lmt. They have a defender at 850.00. You could build it out and still be under that gb price. Search lmt on their site.

before you buy from gb, Reach out to recoilgunworks. They have the best prices I’ve seen for lmt. They have a defender at 850.00. You could build it out and still be under that gb price. Search lmt on their site.

The SPM16 isn't an MRP upper with the barrel swap capability-just a regular M4 upper with Defender lower.

I would stay away from the slick uppers and go with the MLOK...

I think that @The DFC suggestion is a very good one...

This, I've had a slick side 5.56 and 7.62 and I'm not a fan. I even prefer the picatinny over the slick side, my 10.5" gun is a picatinny. The MLR is very nice, I had one of those too.

Also, I would call V1 and tell them exactly what you want and have them special order. You can get it your way barrel choice and all plus upgrade to a FA enhanced BCG and still probably be a couple hundred less than what the one you linked from gun broker. I also know a dealer in VA that will special order LMT stuff and gives very good pricing but you'd have to ask them about ordering for you and shipping to FFL if your not local.

Reactions: Tono
I’m running an LMT defender lower with their SLK8 upper. 16” 1:7.5 SS barrel. It’s a friggin laser with 77gr. Buy a good 140in/lb torque wrench (both of the LMT ones kinda suck) and you’re set. I’ll never buy another AR platform that isn’t an LMT. The MRP system is perfect for optics and doesn’t get any better than that.

To comment on the slick side/mlok topic...

I see no real different between the two mounting systems, one is a screw, which you can buy replacements for at any hardware store in a pinch, and the other is stupid mlok lol. Weight isn’t an issue. If the ounces saved because of the extra MLOK cutouts floats your boat to where you’ll go through the special order process, then go for it. But there’s no real difference between mounting a rail with MLOK or the SLK screws.

The balance on the MRP, with the long handguard that you’re looking at, balances really well and feels great in the hand. I looked at the link you sent and it looks exactly like mine, except I have a K2 grip, mini raptor, battlecomp, and CTR/RISR. I also added a small piece of arca rail to it for tripod use.

Whatever you do, stick with the longer rifle-length slick (or MLOK) MRP handguard. Do not go with the railed traditional AR setup and the carbine length upper for the lower price.

Attachments

• C5E3E119-978C-4A12-A0CB-11281511AE7F.png
    C5E3E119-978C-4A12-A0CB-11281511AE7F.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 138
Last edited:
I’m running an LMT defender lower with their SLK8 upper. 16” 1:7.5 SS barrel. It’s a friggin laser with 77gr. Buy a good 140in/lb torque wrench (both of the LMT ones kinda suck) and you’re set. I’ll never buy another AR platform that isn’t an LMT. The MRP system is perfect for optics and doesn’t get any better than that.

I'm gonna grab that barrel for my New Zealand rig one of these days. Did you put that all together yourself or buy complete?

I'm gonna grab that barrel for my New Zealand rig one of these days. Did you put that all together yourself or buy complete?
I traded a dude my SCAR16 for it, so I’m the second owner (wouldn’t have been able to tell from looking at it though). I think he snagged it when the SLK8 was released, which was just the new style slick upper placed on the Defender 2000 lowers. Only thing I did was switch the stock, install the battlecomp, and put on the arca Mount.

I plan on snagging a 20” 556 SS barrel for it and, eventually, grabbing an MWS 308 & 6.5 system. Then I’ll be done... or so the lie I tell myself goes lol.

I traded a dude my SCAR16 for it, so I’m the second owner (wouldn’t have been able to tell from looking at it though). I think he snagged it when the SLK8 was released, which was just the new style slick upper placed on the Defender 2000 lowers. Only thing I did was switch the stock, install the battlecomp, and put on the arca Mount.

I plan on snagging a 20” 556 SS barrel for it and, eventually, grabbing an MWS 308 & 6.5 system. Then I’ll be done... or so the lie I tell myself goes lol.

source.gif

The SPM16 isn't an MRP upper with the barrel swap capability-just a regular M4 upper with Defender lower.

correct, I was only referring to the cost and to offer other options for the op.

Reactions: The DFC
I think the barrel is a 1:7.5 twist. What do you like for target shooting at 100-400yds? I was thinking 68gr BTHP.

I think the barrel is a 1:7.5 twist. What do you like for target shooting at 100-400yds? I was thinking 68gr BTHP.
Check out Defender Ammunition’s 77gr SMK. It’s around .60/rd and my 16” SS (1:7.5 twist) ran it tighter than BH 77gr. Both had great results, but the Defender ammo always performed the best for me.

I'm very curious that you bought an enhanced BCG. They're extremely rare-I've never actually seen one. Hell I've heard nothing about them. Keep in mind they were designed to give shorter barrels and suppressed weapons reliability-the carrier anyway. The bolt is made of a different metal supposedly stronger etc. I really want one.