• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Question for the VLD hunting bullet users?

slg888

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Knoxville,TN
Took a few load developments to achieve .600 groups using 150gr SGK's out of my .308. Now wanting to try the VLD hunting bullet in a 155gr and must load for adl box fit (2.815) so probably will be no where near the lands.

Do you guys find the VLD bullets accurate and forgiving if not touching near the lands? I like to get to that 1/2" mark of groups and hoping VLD's can achieve that. Of coarse if I do my part correctly.

Re: Question for the VLD hunting bullet users?

I wont hurt to try, they work good in my Remington factory 308 at 2.825" (168vld and 175vld) which is mag friendly in my rifle.

Try it. It's the only way you'll know.

I have a mag restriction of 3.4" for my 300WM. I called Swampy at JLK about 210's loaded to jump .250 out of the mag. He sounded dubious, but said the same thing, "Try it!". One of the loads shot .282" at 100 yds. That's way more accuracy than I'll ever need from a hunting load!

John

My .30cal. 168's are .030 off the lands. I know there aren't many fans of 5-shot 100 yd. groups on here. That being said, one ragged 5-shot hole @ 100yds. works for me.

each rifle is different so its best to try for yourself

I found the Berger VLD's shot okay out of my mag length loads, but they shot better with less jump but this put them out of mag length for me.

Bloody remingtons thats all i will say

Try them I think you will like them...here is a copy paste off their website if you are worried about not getting to the lands.............

<span style="font-weight: bold">The quickest way to find this sweet spot is to load ammo at four different COAL. Start with a COAL that allows the bullet to touch the rifling. The next COAL needs to be .040 off the lands. The third COAL needs to be .080 off the lands. The last COAL needs to be .120 off the lands. One of these COAL will outperform the other three by a considerable margin. It has been reported that the VLD bullets don’t group as well at 100 yards but get better as the bullet “goes to sleep” at further ranges. We have learned that by doing the four COAL test you will find a COAL where the VLD bullets will group well at 100 yards. Once the COAL that shoots best is established you can tweak +/- .005 or .010 to increase precision or you can adjust powder charges and other load variables. Frankly, those who do the four COAL test usually are happy with the results they get from this test alone.</span>

I tried 95 VLD in my M70 Winchester chambered in .243 Win. My mag length put them .02" from the lands. To my surprise they shot about .4" at 100 in load development with W 760 at that seating depth. After that I tried different lengths including .005 jammed to .04 out. My best groups were right at the lands with .3" group and second best repeated with .4" group at .02" out. I figured that .02" out and still fitting the mag is perfect.

Give em a try for sure.