• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Day With a Legend

Boyscout618

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2011
DC area
It isn't every day you meet your heros, but today was one of them for me. One of my best friends throughout high school is the grandson of Maj. John Plaster, who happens to live less than 25 miles away from me. Today I finally got the chance to go shooting with the man himself, and it was a great time!

We picked John up at my friend's father's shop, and from there hit a gas station for some drinks before heading to the range. He brought along a Savage 338 Lapua Magnum, the one with the HS-Precision stock, that can be seen in the photos below. We took shots from 275, 300, and 575 yards on steel silhouettes. It took a few rounds for my friend to dial in on the 575 because of tricky winds, but once we were zeroed I went two for two laying prone. That Hornady 338 isn't cheap, so we were a little limited on ammo.

After lunch at a scenic bar and grill we went to a different range and did some pistol work. John would give us a drill, and my friend and I would do our best. We shot fast, slow, weak and strong-handed, short and long range. We both had CZ 75s, mine was the BD Police model, and my friend was using John's B model.

The whole time we were traveling on the back roads of northern Wisconsin John was telling me about his choice of optics, some of his rifles, the training he has instructed, and other aspects of being a retired SOG sniper. My buddy and I are both going into the service (me to the Naval Academy, him into the Army National Guard), so anything we can learn at this point is sure to help us down the road. Overall I had a great time, John is a heck of a guy to spend a day shooting with, and I thank him for what he has done for our country and the shooting community.

Now, for some pictures...

Helping my buddy dial in at 275...

Offhanding (and hitting) the 300 yard target in a nearly full-value 10 mph wind after my buddy and I took shots from the bench...

Myself and John (for the record, it was his idea that I hold the rifle, I would have been satisfied with a handshake) :)

Thanks for reading! As a side note, this was the best place I could think of to put this article. If someone knows of a better place just let me know!

Pretty cool! I've read his book(s), both versions, several dozen times, each. I'm glad you got to have a chance to shoot with someone like him, and thanks for sharing. Good luck at the Academy.

This is a day you'll remember for the rest of your life. Keep all of the pictures. You'll be telling this story for the entirety of your military career. Good luck to you in the Academy, Ring Knockers are set for life.

Great post. Thanks for sharing. Maybe one day you will both tell of meeting the other. Try hard.