• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS bullet puller Mod for COAX press

SICARIO

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2010
Oregon, USA, etc.
I had changed my press over to a Forster coax from a traditional single stage. For those with the coax you know a twisting motion on the RCBS bullet puller in the press doesn’t work very well.

I wanted something similar to the Hornady cam lock but while still using the RCBS (I like the collet design...and I already had a bunch)

For $15 on McMaster: 5720K23 (can likely get cheaper elsewhere) I picked up a 3/8-16 cam lever. It fits perfectly under the COAX handle and works really well. You have to cut 1/4-3/8” off the stud, but besides that it’s plug and play.
So, for those of you with the RCBS and coax, this is a great mod. Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• 9478D25D-F487-453E-B2B7-117064C5064B.jpeg
    9478D25D-F487-453E-B2B7-117064C5064B.jpeg
    556.7 KB · Views: 247
  • 10A319B7-429C-4984-9BD8-08A82F8002EC.jpeg
    10A319B7-429C-4984-9BD8-08A82F8002EC.jpeg
    434.7 KB · Views: 222
I had changed my press over to a Forster coax from a traditional single stage. For those with the coax you know a twisting motion on the RCBS bullet puller in the press doesn’t work very well.

I wanted something similar to the Hornady cam lock but while still using the RCBS (I like the collet design...and I already had a bunch)

For $15 on McMaster: 5720K23 (can likely get cheaper elsewhere) I picked up a 3/8-16 cam lever. It fits perfectly under the COAX handle and works really well. You have to cut 1/4-3/8” off the stud, but besides that it’s plug and play.
So, for those of you with the RCBS and coax, this is a great mod. Hope this helps someone.
Brilliant!

Ive always just stuck an allen wrench in the coax slot next to the hex nut lock ring on the puller, that keeps it jammed up and stops it from spinning.

Im really gonna have to mull this mod over though...

Hot damn! The only reason I haven't replaced my RCBS puller with the Hornady is because it was out of stock when I tried to order one. The real problem is - how much will this really cost once I start browsing McMaster's website...

Reactions: SICARIO
Do you still have to screw it in every time you pull another bullet or does the cam lever tighten and loosen enough to get a new bullet in/out?

Do you still have to screw it in every time you pull another bullet or does the cam lever tighten and loosen enough to get a new bullet in/out?

That’s the beauty of it. Just the cam, and it‘s a very short throw.

Great job thinking outside the box! I just ordered one and can hardly wait to try it.

The threaded collar on Forster’s looks pretty robust, thicker than the stud on the cam lever available through McMaster. Here’s the product page for the Forster Bullet Puller. Hope this helps answer your question since I don’t have one of those nice Forster Bullet Pullers…yet.
As it turns out Forster offers the same die body (using the same collets) with the rod or with a nut. The later is designated Universal and states it is for use with the CoAx press. Unfortunately mine is the former but I did find the Universal in-stock at Midsouth and order one.
I am pretty sure the threads and diameter off the cam lever are different for Forster v. RCBS.

Reactions: CountryGirl307

I just ran across this thread and had just tried to pull some bullets with my coax and wondered how to fix this problem, Truly the solution I need. Thanks Sicario

Reactions: SICARIO