• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Refinishing Timing?

superwolf

Private
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2007
I am just waiting on a few parts to complete what needed to build my 458 Lott hunting rifle. I want the rifle to completely weather proof no questions asked. The Rem. 700 Action, Shilen Barrel, Dakota Bottom Metal are all stainless steel. The stock is a synthetic HS precision stock. The rear sight, 1/4 rib, sling swivel barrel ring, and front sight are standard steel and not weather proof. For all purposes, lets call these parts the sight parts. The rear sight looks like this: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=915728

In the end I want the entire rifle (including the sight parts) to be refinished in Robar NP3 Plus. I have a few questions in terms of the timing of the refinishing.

Robar will be refinishing the action, barrel, bottom metal,and sight parts. It is my understanding that most people send their complete rifles to Robar to refinish. Would it make sense to send out all the rifle parts individually to be refinished prior to building the rifle? Any insight regarding this question would be great. Thanks.

Re: Refinishing Timing?

If they will refinish the whole rifle at one time, then to answer your question, it doesnt make sense because you are going to have to do multiple pkgs and multiple shipping costs and you take the chance of parts being lost. JMHO

I have not decided on a builder yet, but I like Bijou Creek. I know the cost of the rifle would be more due to extra shipping.

I guess the reasoning for the individual refinishing prior to the build would be just in case water gets under the sight for what ever reason, I would not want to rifle to have any rusting UNDER any of the standard steel parts. Am I just to over the top on wanted an All-Weather rifle or should I just slow my roll? Thanks.

Speaking from experience, having sent four handguns to Robar and one rifle... If it can be removed and coated, they remove it. They don't coat NP3 or NP3+ with parts attached to each other (such as a sling swivel) Sights are almost ALWAYS removed.

The important question to ask here is, how do all of these parts mount? Are we talking screw/bolt mounting or soldering? I doubt you can solder to NP3 coated parts.

I'd send it in all together- either in one piece or in a few pieces. But NOT as a big ass box full of parts. You're best off sending it in one piece; then they will put it back together (don't expect such if you send it in pieces) and ensure it DOES go back together as it is supposed to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speaking from experience, having sent four handguns to Robar and one rifle... If it can be removed and coated, they remove it. They don't coat NP3 or NP3+ with parts attached to each other (such as a sling swivel) Sights are almost ALWAYS removed.

The important question to ask here is, how do all of these parts mount? Are we talking screw/bolt mounting or soldering? I doubt you can solder to NP3 coated parts.

I'd send it in all together- either in one piece or in a few pieces. But NOT as a big ass box full of parts. You're best off sending it in one piece; then they will put it back together (don't expect such if you send it in pieces) and ensure it DOES go back together as it is supposed to. </div></div>

Ok that makes sense. Thanks for your your help.