• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RemArms Action R27347 Model 700 Defective, 6-48 Tap is too large

BPL

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2024
Columbiana, Alabama
Well it took a lot to get me back on a forum. Been decades, it was a disease, had to quit. I bought this brand new action from large dealer in Georgia 6 weeks ago. 223 bolt face. Has new Timney Impact trigger which I promptly replaced. A lot of actions just hit the market from RemArms. In typical action boxes. Had my new Krieger barrel chambered and action trued by local excellent smith. Gunsmith says action did need a little truing even though RemArms says with their new rifle poop on their website, the actions are very true, state of the art machinery. Had new PTG lug pinned. Now I use a lot of Farrell bases and rings but for this light recoil build, I bought new Precision Armament to try. I fit the finished rifle to an old stock and go to add the Picatinny base and the 6-48 screws pull out when tightening. Switch and try some Brownells made in USA screws and they pull out. You can put a screw in a rear hole and wiggle it. Contact RemArms by email and they ask me a lot of particulars, serial #, model # etc. and authorize me to return and provide a pre-paid UPS label. I have not printed it so I don't know where it would ship. You have to tell UPS to print to see it. I'm sure as heck not going to send a brand new build off somewhere to who knows and have the headspace etc. be slightly different or worse when returned in 3 months. My smith is with a large retail family owned store who provided hundreds of factory authorized repairs for old Remington. No go says RemArms. So back to my smith at my expense for 8-40 holes. I did order Brownells oversized .164 X 48 screws hoping they would work. They won't take. I have full documentation, all emails and pdf from Rem with incident description. I'm not going to post here but will add a few pictures. RemArms didn't dispute a thing. Communication from them is basic. They won't elaborate. I see I can't post an .avi file on this forum, showing a seated 6-48 screw wiggling.

Attachments

• IMG_1511.jpg
    IMG_1511.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1510.jpg
    IMG_1510.jpg
    551.7 KB · Views: 55
I think their new guns ( at least the Alpha 1's ) are 8x40 from the factory. They may have standardized on that thread size / pitch on everything by now. Might check that. Good luck.

I was just coming here to say... I think all their new guns are running 8-40 screws for the scope bases... Which is a LONG overdue update. 6-48's are just too damn small with the weight of most scopes these days. I just had all 4 of my 6-48 screws shear-off clean from my @christensenarms Ridgeline FFT 7mm-08 rifle while shooting it at the range a couple weekends ago. That's my main deer rifle, so thank God I wasn't in the woods 40' up in a tree and had my new K318i take a fall like that...I would have been beyond pissed. Not sure if it was defective screws, or reverse recoil impulse from shooting suppressed (functions like a muzzle brake), or weight of the scope mixed with rapid firing (bolt-action) several shots in a row for several range sessions in a row. No idea, but I did take it home and manage to get them out and run a tap in them to clean them back up. Took several hours because 2 of them burred when they broke, and lodged themselves in there and I had nothing to grab hold of to twist the heads to get them started moving to screw the stems out. But I eventually got them out, and I had an extra set of screws handy so it's all remounted and ready to check zero, but If it happens again, this rifle is going to the gunsmith (or Christensen) to be drilled and tapped for 8-40's to avoid this shit happening again.

IMG_6210.jpeg
IMG_6211.jpeg
IMG_6212.jpeg
IMG_6213.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 300rem7
A 6 x 48 screw has a diameter of .135. Don't confuse this with a M6 screw. Not the same. Brownells makes a .146 inch x 48 screw if you ruined your 6 x 48 threads and wish to drill out the threads and re-tap 48 threads (use the same hole and not enlarge for 8 x 40). I don't know what the drill bit size would be for this. At that point, just drill out for 8 x 40. BUT I bought the Brownells .146 x 48 screw just being curious if they would work. 8-40 screws are .160 diameter. This RemArms action is unquestionably 48 tpi but who knows what drill bit size was used. It will fully seat a 6-48 screw, just won't take any torque before slipping.
On the sheared screws, it has to be poor quality screws for all 4 to shear at once. Tightening them would start the stress fracture. Perfect example why we are told not to re-use these screws for our mounts. Now if the sheared screws had been used multiple times, that could explain, too.

On the sheared screws, I now see the marks on the receiver from the base. Those are odd. They indicate the base was sliding back and forth, or something else wrong. Those marks should not be there. Maybe the base truly didn't fit the receiver. Meaning the EGW bases was mis-marked or not well made.

I was just coming here to say... I think all their new guns are running 8-40 screws for the scope bases... Which is a LONG overdue update. 6-48's are just too damn small with the weight of most scopes these days. I just had all 4 of my 6-48 screws shear-off clean from my @christensenarms Ridgeline FFT 7mm-08 rifle while shooting it at the range a couple weekends ago. That's my main deer rifle, so thank God I wasn't in the woods 40' up in a tree and had my new K318i take a fall like that...I would have been beyond pissed. Not sure if it was defective screws, or reverse recoil impulse from shooting suppressed (functions like a muzzle brake), or weight of the scope mixed with rapid firing (bolt-action) several shots in a row for several range sessions in a row. No idea, but I did take it home and manage to get them out and run a tap in them to clean them back up. Took several hours because 2 of them burred when they broke, and lodged themselves in there and I had nothing to grab hold of to twist the heads to get them started moving to screw the stems out. But I eventually got them out, and I had an extra set of screws handy so it's all remounted and ready to check zero, but If it happens again, this rifle is going to the gunsmith (or Christensen) to be drilled and tapped for 8-40's to avoid this shit happening again.

View attachment 8415768View attachment 8415769View attachment 8415770View attachment 8415775
Man that sucks and you are right to be pissed.
I always used Badger bases with the lug at the front that overlapped the reciever face I'm guessing for this very reason.
Glad your scope wasn't damaged.

On the sheared screws, it has to be poor quality screws for all 4 to shear at once. Tightening them would start the stress fracture. Perfect example why we are told not to re-use these screws for our mounts. Now if the sheared screws had been used multiple times, that could explain, too.
Nope, only installed once, and torqued to proper spec (20-25 in-lbs). I'm guessing it was just a bad batch of screws, because I've been running EGW bases for well over 10 years on everything (including some BIG magnums), and never had a single issue.

On the sheared screws, I now see the marks on the receiver from the base. Those are odd. They indicate the base was sliding back and forth, or something else wrong. Those marks should not be there. Maybe the base truly didn't fit the receiver. Meaning the EGW bases was mis-marked or not well made.
I think that happened right before the break, because those marks easily wiped off. They were not permanent or deep...Just surface.

I have a video of when it happened. I happened to be recording, and everything was fine, it has held zero this whole time (1.5 years) through hundreds of shots, and it remained the same the whole day...Right up until the very end. Last 3 shots of the day... In the video, you see that 2nd to last shot, the front of the scope flopped upwards. So, I'm guessing the 2 front screws broke loose on the 3rd to last shot, because on the second to last I missed the target completely, which is the part of the video where you see the front of the scope flop...Which you couldn't see while shooting it. I just thought I pulled the shot or something weird...But I was shooting at a 2" steel gong at 200 yards. Then the very last shot the whole MF'er flopped off the gun onto the bench. That's when I went back and watched the video.

View attachment 8415768View attachment 8415769View attachment 8415770View attachment 8415775
Just sent you a message, please follow up with me there and we'll get this taken care of for you.

Reactions: FuhQ