• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Remington 5R vs Savange 110FCP

Rob.308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2012
I am interested in hearing eveyones thoughts on this topic. I hear alot about the Savage bolts however, I just dont see what is so great about them.

I was hoping to gain some insight into the question which one is better and more accurate.

thanks,
Rob

Re: Remington 5R vs Savange 110FCP

The biggest advantag that the Savage has over a Remington is the abiltiy to change out the bolt handle to a longer/larger handle with simple hand tools instead of a smith. It does have a floating head feature.

The biggest thing that Savages have going for them over a standard Remington is the ability to change out barrels and calibers quickly and easily, again without need of a gunsmith.
One could convert a Remington to a Savage style barrel nut (Remage) but the entire bolt requires replacement instead of just the bolt head.

What really is the advantage of a floating bolt head? I have looked at it but just can't seem to grab the concept of why this is important.

Thanks,
Rob

It is supposed to allow the bolt head to adjust to minor misalignments in the case head to bolt relationship. Naturally in an action that has been trued that wont really buy you anything, but for an untuned rifle, it could have some value. Naturally it also makes it possible to replace the bolt head for a larger or smaller bolt face for different calibers without replacing the entire bolt.

I really enjoy my 5R. For as much as I've shot mine I think it will be a promising rig to learn from. Some people claim to have shot .3 groups, but .7 seems to be the average. Many similar threads generally conclude that Savages are a tad nicer out of the box. However, if you plan to upgrade, the Remington will have more options.

Thanks for everyones input. I greatly appreciate it.

V/r
Rob

Go with the Remington 5R. They shoot lights out. Mine is a SUB-HALF MOA gun with factory match ammo.

I'd say go with the Savage.

I just finished my "custom" SA Savage build.

XLR Tactical Stock
McGowen 24" 1/11 .308 w/Surefire brake
Savage 10BA SA w/PTG bolt/bolt face

Shoots sub 1/2 MOA all day and can easily swap calibers in 15 minutes.

"Remage" isn't actually a bad idea but, it's very easy to get a Savage action these days, although, a little expensive...Still, well worth the investment, IMO.

If you get a LA, can easily convert between a 338/300wm ~ That, IMO, is priceless.

I have owned both. The 5r I had was a great shooter, trigger sucked though. Timney trigger was much nice than the factory trigger. That being said I picked up a FCP in a McM A5 for $850 on Gunbroker and shot that for a year. The trigger was very nice, and the rifle was on par, if not better with regard to accuracy to the 5r. The Savage seemed to shine more the further I took it out. Sort of regret getting rid of it now. Don't regret the 5r as much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rade1MOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with the Remington 5R. They shoot lights out. Mine is a SUB-HALF MOA gun with factory match ammo.</div></div>

And the Savage can easily do the same.

I have a model 10 FCP K that started as .308 and is now a 6.5CM. I couldn't find anything to upgrade on it. The accutrigger is light enough and the stock is rock solid.

It's really like comparing apples to oranges.

Reason I first chose Savage over Remington was because I can never be happy with the same caliber. Though, I found a liking to the 6.5CM very much so.

Also, if you're familiar with savages that were made prior to 2011, be cautious when working with the newer ones.

As far as the FCP, some changes(stupid ones IMO) make modifying the rifle a bit more challenging.

With the new DBM and bottom bolt release, it's a lot harder to find aftermarket stocks. And the barrel lug is now changed. There is no more notch and the sides are thinner. And the standard barrel lug will not fit in the accustocks. IMO, I find the new bottom bolt release to be a pain compared to the side release.

If you want to have more options with building a rifle, then work with a Stevens action. If you want a complete rifle that doesn't need anything done, then go with the FCP.

Remington has a history of good performance and market support.
Savage has proven itself to have equally good performance and listens to its customers wants.

Each companies' flagship rifles have their quirks.

My advice:
If you want a Remington, buy a Remington.
If you want a Savage, buy a Savage.

I have both. The 5R with 24" barrel and also the Savage FCP-SR. The Remington has a much smoother action, without question. The Savage has a better trigger, threaded muzzle, fluted barrel, and detachable magazine. The Savage only has 38 rounds through at this point. But, the 5R seems to have the accuracy edge. It loves the 175 SMK and 2000MR or R15. I'm sure the FCP-SR will prove to be a good shooter as well. The Remington has a much longer throat so, loading near the lands with some bullets is out of the question. One example is the 178Amax. With the 5R the OAL length is 2.965" and the Savage is 2.800". Both guns have a place in my house.

I got into to savages because I could switch the barrels out myself, buy prefit barrels from top barrel makers and put them on myself. Love the floating bolt head for accuracy, but it is sweet to switch bolt heads. Initially I thought it would save me buying a number of actions, but no luck, I have 11 Savage actions. I am very happy with the target accutriggers, but really like the Rifle Basix SAV 2. Once set to your likes, I have found it to be very nice. Free floating the tang area, at the back of the action, where it meets the stock can really help if you end up with unexplained fliers. Lots of great aftermarket items now. Get the screw tension right. Many articles on that. Have shot bug holes with my savages in many calibers and at long distance too.

Thank you for everyones help and opinions. I really appreicate it.

MASKED: I agree with you 100% that being able to switch between 3oo Win and 338 is priceless!

That offers a great deal of flexiblity.

Thanks guys!