• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

replaced a Savage 110 FCP barrel

Rob.308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2012
Has anyone done this yet at home with great results? I was wondering if it was possible to do without a gunsmith.

Thanks,
Rob

Re: replaced a Savage 110 FCP barrel

The ability to change barrels "without a gunsmith" is probably the second greatest reason people buy Savages. I'm sure there are videos on youtube showing you how it's done.

Good luck!

Any chance your old barrel's a .308 and still in decent condition? I'v been looking for a replacement when I burn out my .22-250.

I changed mine from 300 WSM to 308. Really easy. You just need a barrel nut wrench and a good vise or action wrench to get it off. I purchased the go / nogo gauges from brownells. Start to finish it was about 30 minutes.

Check this link out for step by step instructions: Switch Barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 391dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I changed mine from 300 WSM to 308. Really easy. You just need a barrel nut wrench and a good vise or action wrench to get it off. I purchased the go / nogo gauges from brownells. Start to finish it was about 30 minutes.

Check this link out for step by step instructions: Switch Barrel </div></div>

Was just going to say this. +1

Make sure you check the headspace ~ Other than that, have at it!

Sorry, I don't have the Savage yet. I just wanted to know if it was easy to do as people say it is. I am looking for a new range gun that will allow me to shoot as accurately as possible at a good cost. I like the ability to change out the barrels if it is really something I can do at home. I recently had a round blow back through the primer hole and it damaged the bolt face on my favorite .308. Really broke my heart. A buddy said "if you had bought the savage we could just swap the bolt face out and you wouldn't be sending the gun to gunsmith right now". For some reason that has just stuck in my head and has me on the hunt for something that I can fix myself in the future. I shoot a lot and figure having a Savage with some spare parts laying around would be very helpful. Right now I am without a .308 to take to the range adn this may take weeks or months.

Rob

391 Dave: Thanks for the help. That was exactly what I was looking for.

thanks again!

I can do a barrel swap on my Savage in <15min, with most of that time spent removing & replacing the optic.

Bench vise, notched wood blocks with baseball pitcher's resin or brown sugar for friction, a barrel nut wrench, a dead blow hammer, a headspace go-gage and some Scotch tape is all you need to do it safely in your garage or basement.

Really easy once you get the barrel nut loose, which in turn is not a major issue if you have the correct barrel nut wrench, either an action wrench or barrel vise blocks with sufficient friction/grip on the barrel, a decent bench vise, and a hammer.

And I agree 100% that you should have at least a go gauge; factory brass just varies too much to use the "factory round" method of measuring headspace.

Now that I've done it a few times - and this is coming from a guy that had never swapped a bolt action barrel until last month - I can switch between my .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor barrels in less than 10 minutes. Much of that time is getting the optic off and pulling the action out of my AICS.

One final note: if you're having trouble spinning the receiver off the barrel, loosen the front screws on your optics rail. These may be grabbing the barrel's threads.

Meh, I don't even buy gauges. Been using tape for all my barrel swaps.

nothing to it. my 18 year old son just swapped his out from 308 to 260. took him about an hour as couldn't get apart. now knows how to loosen up lock tite.

The trick is to use a good action wrench in combination with the barrel nut wrench. Don't dick around with homemade barrel vises. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

Does anyone know if Savage make a long action .308? This would allow you to swap to 300 win mag for longer range shots.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know if Savage make a long action .308? This would allow you to swap to 300 win mag for longer range shots.</div></div>

Buy a 110 long action with either a standard .473 (270, 30-06) bolt head or a .532 (magnum) bolt head.

Buy 308 barrel of your choice, 300WM barrel of your choice, and whichever bolt head you lack, either complete or stripped bolt head plus the 6 parts to complete it.

When you want to change calibers, simply swap barrels (<15min) and bolt heads (<5min).

If you went with Savage LA CDI DBM, you could modify an AICS 300WM mag to shoot the 308, and then have an unmodified mag for 300WM.