• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Replacement barrels for Sako Trg22

Phobos986

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
Nebraska
I am doing research on different rifles. But for some reason i cant find any place that sells Sako barrels. Kinetic sells a wrench to swap your own barrels. I was just curious if anyone had any insight on where to find replacement 308 barrels.

Thank you

I don't believe you can buy TRG factory barrels. Berretta USA does not sell them separately. I just got mine re-barreled by PVA. They used a Spencer barrel. Several smiths that are sponsors on the site can do TRG rebarrels using premium replacement barrels.. PVA, SAC, APA and probably several others.

I rebarreled mine with a Hardy Carbon in 260. It shoots better than the factory barrel. I torque it to 100ft.lbs and I can swap it when I want with the 308 barrel. The carbon barrel took almost 1.5lbs of weight from the gun. A 308 version of the barrel would last a LONG time.

The only drawback with the carbon is you should not put the barrel vise on the carbon portion per Dan Hardy's advice. You will need to disassemble the TRG action from the chassis and put the vise right over the steel portion at the breech end to do it. This takes me about 15 minutes to do.

If you stick with a steel barrel, you can swap it with the barrel vise on the end with the KRG wrench. I use the viper barrel vise and a couple c-clamps to put it on my bench and 5 minutes later the barrels are swapped.

I rebarreled mine with a Hardy Carbon in 260. It shoots better than the factory barrel. I torque it to 100ft.lbs and I can swap it when I want with the 308 barrel. The carbon barrel took almost 1.5lbs of weight from the gun. A 308 version of the barrel would last a LONG time.

The only drawback with the carbon is you should not put the barrel vise on the carbon portion per Dan Hardy's advice. You will need to disassemble the TRG action from the chassis and put the vise right over the steel portion at the breech end to do it. This takes me about 15 minutes to do.

If you stick with a steel barrel, you can swap it with the barrel vise on the end with the KRG wrench. I use the viper barrel vise and a couple c-clamps to put it on my bench and 5 minutes later the barrels are swapped.

Damn I would love a TRG with a carbon wrapped barrel, I sure miss my TRG...
I had APA spin me a 308 & a 260 barrel for my TRG when I had it, Jered does excellent work!

Damn I would love a TRG with a carbon wrapped barrel, I sure miss my TRG...
I had APA spin me a 308 & a 260 barrel for my TRG when I had it, Jered does excellent work!

It cut a lot of weight off the rifle. With a Leupold Mk6 scope it's now 10.5lbs total without bipod. I feared changing the TRG barrel which shoots so well, but the new barrel, as discussed, I think is more accurate in 260 than the factory barrel was in 308. And the factory barrel was no slouch shooting 0.25-0.3MOA groups very consistently.

Gratuitous rifle pic with carbon barrel.

Attachments

• photo47076.jpg
    photo47076.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 233
  • photo47077.jpg
    photo47077.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 232
Reactions: Empr_Hadrian
That is a VERY nice looking rifle. I am trying to research many different things. I can get an AI AT for about another 900 over the sako. By the time you deck out the Sako, you are already an an accuracy international, parts are also cheaper for the AI. so i am just going back and forth with a sako or an AI AT... damn choices.

The main thing the AI has over the Sako is the quick change barrel system. If you can see needing to change barrels often then I'd lean towards the AT. If you don't see that being a useful feature then I'd save your money and buy a Sako,

I just sold my TRG to buy a AI and like the idea of picking up a 22-250 barrel to shoot vermin with then switching back for shooting at the range. I also like the magazine being a true double stack. I don't buy into One scope with multiple barrels to save you money. My wife tries to use that logic all the time while clothes/ shoe shopping. This is an expensive hobby.

I was completely happy with my sako, but convinced myself to "upgrade". I did like the trigger and its safety location better on the TRG as well as the bipod was much easier to get a solid rest with.

If I had to do it over again . . .

I do them myself.. running a Bartline 260 on my 22, I have a 3 grove lilja I chambered in 260 ready to go for it, might put that on soon. I have a 22-250 barrel for my 22 and I put a Brux 338 Lapua on my trg42. I will be doing a 6.5x284 on a TRG 42 this weekend, should be interesting to shoot that one when it's done. Any gun plumber can put a barrel on a TRG.

That is a VERY nice looking rifle. I am trying to research many different things. I can get an AI AT for about another 900 over the sako. By the time you deck out the Sako, you are already an an accuracy international, parts are also cheaper for the AI. so i am just going back and forth with a sako or an AI AT... damn choices.

I own an AIAW. It's a good gun, but it's heavy. The TRG is lighter and I prefer the stock ergonomics and trigger. The trg bipod is also the best I've used on any rifle. I can use my TRG hunting. I used my AW once, and never again wanted to carry it for any distance.

As for barrel swaps, honestly I own a KRG action wrench and barrel vise and I can swap steel barrels in five minutes. The carbon barrel requires a complete action disassembly from the stock to clamp near the breech, but that's about 20-30 minutes. I owned a DTA and the idea of changing a barrel in 60 seconds sounds nice, but the practical use for me just wasn't there.

Parts for Sako are available. Brownells and Sako/Beretta USA can get parts if you need them. I have a spare trigger and firing pin for my Sako. I don't know if AI would sell you them separately unless defective already and they would be much more money than the Sako spare parts in all likelihood.

Ultimately the prices between the TRG and AIAT are so close now that it will come down to ergonomics for you. Whatever fits you better and if you can deal with the AI weight penalty vs. the TRG.

Last edited:
To those of you who have had barrels chambered for your TRGs in the past: Did you have to send your rifle off to the smith?

I do them myself.. running a Bartline 260 on my 22, I have a 3 grove lilja I chambered in 260 ready to go for it, might put that on soon. I have a 22-250 barrel for my 22 and I put a Brux 338 Lapua on my trg42. I will be doing a 6.5x284 on a TRG 42 this weekend, should be interesting to shoot that one when it's done. Any gun plumber can put a barrel on a TRG.

What caliber was the 42 originally that you're making a 6.5x284 barrel for? I thought they only came with the Lapua or magnum bolt face. Is there someone out there making custom/replacement bolts for the TRG?

I am doing research on different rifles. But for some reason i cant find any place that sells Sako barrels. Kinetic sells a wrench to swap your own barrels. I was just curious if anyone had any insight on where to find replacement 308 barrels.

Thank you

I think Sako (Beretta) does not sell barrels separately except for M10.
Bartlein can make TRG contour for you. I talked to them last year, they said they can but asked for 3-4 months.

To those of you who have had barrels chambered for your TRGs in the past: Did you have to send your rifle off to the smith?

West Texas Ordnance is working on my 22 right now.
308Win into 6.5 CM
Bartlein barrel in TRG contour