• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Reticle Design - Scopes with dual SFP and FFP reticles?

grizzlestomp

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Have any manufacturers played around with the idea of scopes with both FFP and SFP reticles? I love the idea of having a SFP reticle for the cross bars and center dot and an FFP reticle with hash marks, preferably .2m hash marks and some "open" version of the christmas tree. Attached is an expert artists' rendering. Curious to hear why this doesn't work, cost? mechanics? one of the million other considerations I don't understand?
reticleffpsfp.png

Some of the lower powered scopes have that already, like the burris xtr2. Your FFP rendering should still have the solid lines and dot of the second focal plane reticle. They dont just disappear when you zoom in.

You need to copyright that FFP reticle. Nevr been dun b4, its a gamchanga.

My FFP rendering was supposed to be just the marks that would be etched into that lens. Assume if they already existed on the SFP lens, duplication wouldn't be needed.

Already put in a few calls to the patent board. S&B just offered me lifetime employment.

As @spife7980 notes, this has been done with low-mag scopes. Burris and Schmidt and Bender come to mind. Where a red dot is in the SFP, and remains constant, whilst the actual reticle moves in and out in the FFP. I have not seen anything as artistic as what you have drawn.

I would assume that this type of dual reticle would be especially helpful in HIGH mag scopes and scopes with large mag ratios. On a fair number of FFP scopes the reticles are little more than a tiny duplex at the low end of the mag range.

I believe Shepherd Scopes also do a dual reticle but in a high mag scope than the Burris and S&B