• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

RL26 & small primer experience?

clyancey

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2010
La Grande, OR & Snohomish, WA
I've been fooling around with RL 26 in small rifle primer brass (both Lapua and Peterson brass in 6mm Creedmoor) and wondered if anyone else has drawn conclusions about what does or does not work?

Br4's worked fine with Lapua brass and RL 26. Was experiencing a fair amount of throat erosion after 900 rounds. Rebarreled rifle to 6mm Dasher,

RL26 and Lapua 6.5 Creed is working great for me. Shooting 147's, 143's, and 140 VLDs.

I've been fooling around with RL 26 in small rifle primer brass (both Lapua and Peterson brass in 6mm Creedmoor) and wondered if anyone else has drawn conclusions about what does or does not work?
Have you made any conclusions?

Have you made any conclusions?
Thanks for the input guys.
No great conclusions. One growing hypothesis that I have a bad barrel.

PRO:
Great velocity with 115gr DTAC, and 105 RDF
extreme spreads averaging in the teens

CONS:
No accuracy in this setup
Inconsistent velocity per given charge/changes between outings (maybe temperature sensitive in this particular situation?)

I have over 500 rounds of experimentation with RL26 & SRP in my 6mm Creedmoor (Krieger 1:7.5 twist). The velocity is great, ES has come down with my improvement in reloading. I'm limited to 100 yards for shooting distance so I have focused more on the "Scott Satterlee" method of isolating accuracy nodes via plateaus in velocity. My findings are either VERY narrow plateaus (too narrow to be useful/are unforgiving) or no discernible plateau at all. I've tried from 2950-3250fps, jamming .010 to jumping .080, and several primer combinations both standard and magnum. I turned necks to uniform .0135, uniformed primer pockets and flash hole, measure powder charges to the kernel (Satorius Entris64-1S), AMP anneal, length trim every reloading and keep loaded runout around .002. Pretty certain I have a bad barrel (isn't looking like it will shoot 105 RDF's well either) or RL26 simply will not produce accuracy. Hence why I wanted to see if anyone else had used it in a same manner.

Br4's worked fine with Lapua brass and RL 26. Was experiencing a fair amount of throat erosion after 900 rounds. Rebarreled rifle to 6mm Dasher,

Just to double check: you were using a 6mm Creedmoor or any other 6mm when you had good luck with RL 26? Notice abnormal temp sensitivity or narrow accuracy/velcoity nodes?

Thanks

Just to double check: you were using a 6mm Creedmoor or any other 6mm when you had good luck with RL 26? Notice abnormal temp sensitivity or narrow accuracy/velcoity nodes?

Thanks
6mm CM. This was for an F Class mid range rifle and experimented with H1000 and RL 26. Did not notice abnormal temp sensitivity and no difficulty finding a node. Went to a 6mm Dasher because although it grouped well, not well enough to be competitive.

Thanks for the input guys.
No great conclusions. One growing hypothesis that I have a bad barrel.

PRO:
Great velocity with 115gr DTAC, and 105 RDF
extreme spreads averaging in the teens

CONS:
No accuracy in this setup
Inconsistent velocity per given charge/changes between outings (maybe temperature sensitive in this particular situation?)

I have over 500 rounds of experimentation with RL26 & SRP in my 6mm Creedmoor (Krieger 1:7.5 twist). The velocity is great, ES has come down with my improvement in reloading. I'm limited to 100 yards for shooting distance so I have focused more on the "Scott Satterlee" method of isolating accuracy nodes via plateaus in velocity. My findings are either VERY narrow plateaus (too narrow to be useful/are unforgiving) or no discernible plateau at all. I've tried from 2950-3250fps, jamming .010 to jumping .080, and several primer combinations both standard and magnum. I turned necks to uniform .0135, uniformed primer pockets and flash hole, measure powder charges to the kernel (Satorius Entris64-1S), AMP anneal, length trim every reloading and keep loaded runout around .002. Pretty certain I have a bad barrel (isn't looking like it will shoot 105 RDF's well either) or RL26 simply will not produce accuracy. Hence why I wanted to see if anyone else had used it in a same manner.
I thought the discussion was what primer to use.
I tried the dtac in in my 6 creed, thought the operating window was narrow, and I wasn't about to take it into 3150fps territory where it runs for some. My chamber was about throated perfect for it too, I ended up setting the barrel back at 450 rds with a reamer with less freebore. 110 Sierra does well.
I know the rdf is making a resurgence, but it would never be my bullet of choice. My suggestion is to find a box or 2 of 105 hybrids, try .012" off the lands. I cannot give you charge weights because I'm not a fan of RL 26, but look at 3080-3110 range for speed.

I thought the discussion was what primer to use.
I tried the dtac in in my 6 creed, thought the operating window was narrow, and I wasn't about to take it into 3150fps territory where it runs for some. My chamber was about throated perfect for it too, I ended up setting the barrel back at 450 rds with a reamer with less freebore. 110 Sierra does well.
I know the rdf is making a resurgence, but it would never be my bullet of choice. My suggestion is to find a box or 2 of 105 hybrids, try .012" off the lands. I cannot give you charge weights because I'm not a fan of RL 26, but look at 3080-3110 range for speed.

Thanks Milo 2.5. Why would the Nosler 105 RDF not be your bullet of choice? They are more consistent in length than the 110 sierras. Also what powder and velocity range does the 110 Sierra like in your setup? Noticed any pros (besides brass life) or cons to SRP in 6 Creed?

The discussion was intended to draw in any/all experiences with the use of RL26 in small primer cases as I still thought maybe SRP might be the culprit. What I really hoped for was guy's experiences with RL26 & SRP in 6mm calibers. I hadn't read there was a working node at 3150 but its an exciting validation of my improved reloading techniques. Multiple times I thought there MAY have been a node at 3140-3145.....got single digit ES there more often than not but never accuracy. But, each time I would reloaded mini ladder centered around 3143'ish it would shoot a different velocity range.

Last edited:
Thanks Milo 2.5. Why would the Nosler 105 RDF not be your bullet of choice? They are more consistent in length than the 110 sierras.

Supposedly there have been a few batches that didn’t shoot worth a shit, I feel more at the introduction as I haven’t heard too much discussion lately about them. But I lucked out and bought a bunch of what I suppose is one of the good batches (still blems though) and I am liking how they shoot for me.

Supposedly there have been a few batches that didn’t shoot worth a shit, I feel more at the introduction as I haven’t heard too much discussion lately about them. But I lucked out and bought a bunch of what I suppose is one of the good batches (still blems though) and I am liking how they shoot for me.

The batches that wouldn't shoot....could guys measure variations in them? I just bought a batch maybe 2 months ago. I haven't really critiqued the bullets but they are as-if not more-consistent in OAL and seat as consistently as any other jacket bullet I've played with.

Thanks Milo 2.5. Why would the Nosler 105 RDF not be your bullet of choice? They are more consistent in length than the 110 sierras. Also what powder and velocity range does the 110 Sierra like in your setup? Noticed any pros (besides brass life) or cons to SRP in 6 Creed?

The discussion was intended to draw in any/all experiences with the use of RL26 in small primer cases as I still thought maybe SRP might be the culprit. What I really hoped for was guy's experiences with RL26 & SRP in 6mm calibers. I hadn't read there was a working node at 3150 but its an exciting validation of my improved reloading techniques. Multiple times I thought there MAY have been a node at 3140-3145.....got single digit ES there more often than not but never accuracy. But, each time I would reloaded mini ladder centered around 3143'ish it would shoot a different velocity range.
First, I'm not a Nosler fan, doesn't matter what they make, I'm not buying. As for inconsistencies in the 110, I've only used 3 lot #'s, one box of one lot worst I've ever saw. I bought a bullet sorting tool for them, had 6 piles of bullets, said fuck this and went to 2, under so and so number and over, they sit today, 2nd box of that lot most consistent I've ever seen. One thing I've noticed with the Sierra 110, maybe length differences, but my seat die still gives same OAL reading with a comparator.
And, don't go over pressuring your case because I know a few people pushing shit to the limits. All barreled actions react differently.
I've ran the 110 from 3080 to 3130fps,with RL 16, at 3080 today, for the summer, lol
I really can't say if the srp is a plus, it seems to work. I do however question running a mag primer, then again, that works for a lot of people too, so my judgement call may hold no merit.

First, I'm not a Nosler fan, doesn't matter what they make, I'm not buying. As for inconsistencies in the 110, I've only used 3 lot #'s, one box of one lot worst I've ever saw. I bought a bullet sorting tool for them, had 6 piles of bullets, said fuck this and went to 2, under so and so number and over, they sit today, 2nd box of that lot most consistent I've ever seen. One thing I've noticed with the Sierra 110, maybe length differences, but my seat die still gives same OAL reading with a comparator.
And, don't go over pressuring your case because I know a few people pushing shit to the limits. All barreled actions react differently.
I've ran the 110 from 3080 to 3130fps,with RL 16, at 3080 today, for the summer, lol
I really can't say if the srp is a plus, it seems to work. I do however question running a mag primer, then again, that works for a lot of people too, so my judgement call may hold no merit.

Thanks again for the education. I've yet to get into bullet sorting, as I've been short range focused during load development and I figured bullet sorting wouldn't effect 100 yard testing (mostly velocity, but some group testing as well). What tool & measurement do you prefer for bullet sorting and when do you think its worth doing? Also, have you noticed good/bad temp stability out of RL16 in this application? Do you typically find accuracy nodes every 50 fps with the 6 Creed (3080 & 3130)? And if you don't mind, what turned you off of Nosler?

Thanks again for the education. I've yet to get into bullet sorting, as I've been short range focused during load development and I figured bullet sorting wouldn't effect 100 yard testing (mostly velocity, but some group testing as well). What tool & measurement do you prefer for bullet sorting and when do you think its worth doing? Also, have you noticed good/bad temp stability out of RL16 in this application? Do you typically find accuracy nodes every 50 fps with the 6 Creed (3080 & 3130)? And if you don't mind, what turned you off of Nosler?
Trust me, I do not want to bullet sort ever, I needed some data and bought a tool from Brownells, a simple bullet comparator and a caliper will suit most needs. I now have a 115 dollar ornament, maybe I'll use it again if I see issues.
I'm not going to say much on RL 16, there is reports or reviews of it being the best thing since canned beer. I notice lot to lot inconsistencies that rival any powder, so if you decide to use it, buy enough to toast your barrel.
As for nodes every 50 fps, mine seems too, doubt all barrels do. All barrels have at least 3 nodes most reloaders can find, slow, medium and hotter, your job to choose. A good loader may find up to 6 nodes, find a forgiving node and run with it. Being you are using your chrono as a major tool in your reloading process, use it in conjunction with group shooting, you are looking for groups that hold waterline, all the same vertical. 3 or 5 shots stacked vertical, even though it may look tight, will be a shit load downrange.

Trust me, I do not want to bullet sort ever, I needed some data and bought a tool from Brownells, a simple bullet comparator and a caliper will suit most needs. I now have a 115 dollar ornament, maybe I'll use it again if I see issues.
I'm not going to say much on RL 16, there is reports or reviews of it being the best thing since canned beer. I notice lot to lot inconsistencies that rival any powder, so if you decide to use it, buy enough to toast your barrel.
As for nodes every 50 fps, mine seems too, doubt all barrels do. All barrels have at least 3 nodes most reloaders can find, slow, medium and hotter, your job to choose. A good loader may find up to 6 nodes, find a forgiving node and run with it. Being you are using your chrono as a major tool in your reloading process, use it in conjunction with group shooting, you are looking for groups that hold waterline, all the same vertical. 3 or 5 shots stacked vertical, even though it may look tight, will be a shit load downrange.
Do you generally find hotter nodes to be narrower?