• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rotary tumbler for wet cleaning

RTTY

Private
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2023
Italy
Hello,
I think to buy a Rotary tumbler for wet cleaning of my brass.
I look at Frankford Arsenal tumbler, Lite or Platinum.

About the Platinum on the net are good comment buy on the Lite someone claim some problem like the brass don't rotate on the tumbler.

Can you tell me some impression about this two tumbler?

I know also some chinese rotary tumbler, 3 or 5kg, someone on this forum use this version?

Thanks in advance!

Ive just started running the Rebel 17 with SS pins. Has been a great setup. Brass come out great after about 25min of tumbling. Just giving you another option to look into. I personally have no experience with Frankfort.

Reactions: Camelfilter
Have the large Frankford Arsenal rotary tumbler & like it. Can process a goodly amount of brass at a time, about a #10 can worth (large metal coffee can). I use egg shaped "chips" instead of stainless steel pins. Water, a bit of dawn brand liquid dish soap, and a touch of lemishine. Lemishine & the amount of it depends on your water hardness. I also ad some liquid car wash/wax during the end/rinse cycle.

Its not complicated & brass comes out very nice.

Never used the lite version, however looking at it, am not sure how brass can't tumble. Unless grossly overloaded.

So I'd say choose whichever one based in how much brass you wish to proccess at a time.

Be mindful that processed & well dried brass won't go "bad"...

Thumlers Tumbler, if I ever go the route of stainless pins and wet tumbling this will be it.
Already figured out it will be a purchase for the wife for polishing rocks wich will be a past time that would last about one or two batches then I have a tumbler that will last me a lifetime for polishing brass.
Think smarter not harder 😁

Ive just started running the Rebel 17 with SS pins. Has been a great setup. Brass come out great after about 25min of tumbling. Just giving you another option to look into. I personally have no experience with Frankfort.
Hello thanks for the advice, but the Rebel 17 are unavaillable on Italy.

Have the large Frankford Arsenal rotary tumbler & like it. Can process a goodly amount of brass at a time, about a #10 can worth (large metal coffee can). I use egg shaped "chips" instead of stainless steel pins. Water, a bit of dawn brand liquid dish soap, and a touch of lemishine. Lemishine & the amount of it depends on your water hardness. I also ad some liquid car wash/wax during the end/rinse cycle.

Its not complicated & brass comes out very nice.

Never used the lite version, however looking at it, am not sure how brass can't tumble. Unless grossly overloaded.

So I'd say choose whichever one based in how much brass you wish to proccess at a time.

Be mindful that processed & well dried brass won't go "bad"...
I proccess/clean about 100 cases at time of 6,5x47 Lapua.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
Anything besides hot water and soap is a useless complication.
Hello, yes depend on the hardening of the water, on my side the hardening of the water is medium hard...
So Lemishine or Cidric Acid are more than useless complication.
If you don't use it the brass coming out after dryed like a leopard skin...

Depends on your water.

The wash/wax isn't required, however works for me. Handy for pistol brass, acts sorta like a lube.
Which wax do you use? Agree that might be helpful resizing pistol brass.

I have the Lite and while yes it had an issue of not tumbling the brass if there was too much weight in it but I believe someone on here posted a template for a plastic piece that pops into the tumbler and does help agitate the brass better. It has worked flawlessly since

Hello, yes depend on the hardening of the water, on my side the hardening of the water is medium hard...
So Lemishine or Cidric Acid are more than useless complication.
If you don't use it the brass coming out after dryed like a leopard skin...
I don't care about water spotting on brass. I don't GAF how it looks as long as it's clean.

And yes I do live with hard water too.

Reactions: RTTY
I have the Lite and while yes it had an issue of not tumbling the brass if there was too much weight in it but I believe someone on here posted a template for a plastic piece that pops into the tumbler and does help agitate the brass better. It has worked flawlessly since
220€ on EU... and need make a mod for regular usage?!
On the chinese tumbler no mods are needed...

Thanks for the advice!

Hello this is the link at the discussion to Frankford Arsenal Lite:

The problem is the low volume of cases...

Reactions: CheapBasterd
I proccess/clean about 100 cases at time of 6,5x47 Lapua.
If you use stainless steel pins, check all your case mouths after tumbling/rinsing/drying for stuck pins in the case mouth. I tumble 6 x 47L and I will get an occasional stuck pin in the case mouth. Maybe at 6.5 mm, you won't have that problem, but it doesn't hurt to check/be careful.

Reactions: RTTY
Yup if you dont put enough cases in either any sizes tumbler. They just slide on the bottom. There isn’t enough to induce “tumbling” where cases push each other around.

I wouldn’t do this on the regular but I’ve stuffed the lite all the way to the top before. I could tell the motor didn’t like it. 😀

Hot water + soap
Citric acid (milliards brand from Amazon).
Fuck those stainless steel pins. I didn’t see any difference using pins.

30 minutes clean enough.
1 hour shiny AF.

Highly recommend a brass dryer to speed up the drying process.

1 - 1.5 hours

Now this might sound weird but for my 9mm brass after I drain the water I spray Hornady oneshot into the tumbler directly on the brass, swirl it around a bit with a little more water, drain and then dry. Water beads off and Seems to leave a film and makes them glide in the sizer.

Rebel 17 tumbler - rock solid and worth it.

NO pins or media - not needed and a PIA

Just hot water with a little dawn and pinch of citric acid for 20-30 minutes gets them clean. Still a little bit of carbon in the necks but that arguably has advantages. Primer pockets aren’t shiny but doesn’t matter.

If you need your hole shiny, bleached and waxed, then you do you.

Yup if you dont put enough cases in either any sizes tumbler. They just slide on the bottom. There isn’t enough to induce “tumbling” where cases push each other around.

I wouldn’t do this on the regular but I’ve stuffed the lite all the way to the top before. I could tell the motor didn’t like it. 😀

Hot water + soap

30 minutes clean enough.
1 hour shiny AF.

1 - 1.5 hours

Now this might sound weird but for my 9mm brass after I drain the water I spray Hornady oneshot into the tumbler directly on the brass, swirl it around a bit with a little more water, drain and then dry. Water beads off and Seems to leave a film and makes them glide in the sizer.
So, about your reply, I presume that the Lite can manage with no trouble 100 cases of 6,5x47 Lapua, i'm wrong?

Reactions: CheapBasterd

Hot water + soap

30 minutes clean enough.
1 hour shiny AF.

1 - 1.5 hours

I use pins because clean the primer pocket are, for me, very tedious...

Rebel 17 tumbler - rock solid and worth it.

NO pins or media - not needed and a PIA

Just hot water with a little dawn and pinch of citric acid for 20-30 minutes gets them clean. Still a little bit of carbon in the necks but that arguably has advantages. Primer pockets aren’t shiny but doesn’t matter.

If you need your hole shiny, bleached and waxed, then you do you.
I no love clean primer pocket....

Hello,
I think to buy a Rotary tumbler for wet cleaning of my brass.
I look at Frankford Arsenal tumbler, Lite or Platinum.

About the Platinum on the net are good comment buy on the Lite someone claim some problem like the brass don't rotate on the tumbler.

Can you tell me some impression about this two tumbler?

I know also some chinese rotary tumbler, 3 or 5kg, someone on this forum use this version?

Thanks in advance!
Either one will do the job just the same, just I don't think the Lite comes with pins. I've got the Platinum that I've had for 7 years now and it does the job just fine. Seem the Platinum might give you more options as to how you might going about using it. I seldom use my Platinum as my brass doesn't really get dirty except for what the chamber leaves behind. I'll use if for really dirty brass and I only use steel pins if there's brass that's got dirt and/or mud on the interior of the cases, otherwise it just hot water with Dawn and sometimes with Lemi Shine.

I used an Extreme tumbler for years. Then I decided to upgrade the drive and roller system. I found a fellow who was working on the project, but he decided to go another route. So I jumped at this.

IMG_2555.jpg

I can fit two of the drums from my Extreme unit on the rollers. So if I have a lot to clean, I can run both drums. This gives me a capacity of 30#’s of brass at once. The motor is a 1/3HP unit.

Last edited:
Either one will do the job just the same, just I don't think the Lite comes with pins. I've got the Platinum that I've had for 7 years now and it does the job just fine. Seem the Platinum might give you more options as to how you might going about using it. I seldom use my Platinum as my brass doesn't really get dirty except for what the chamber leaves behind. I'll use if for really dirty brass and I only use steel pins if there's brass that's got dirt and/or mud on the interior of the cases, otherwise it just hot water with Dawn and sometimes with Lemi Shine.

Hi, I already have the pins, I used them in a home-built tumbler, but I turned it with the drill, too casually... the cases were nice and clean, inside and out and the primer pocket was also shiny.
I don't have time to improve the work as @6MT did, splendid work, from what I see very well designed and finished, congratulations.
If you haven't already thought/done it, you can add a timer and a rotation inverter.
Extreme type barrels have the ideal shape.
Someone on YouTube put some rubber fillings inside the barrel throats because that's where the pins stop and don't work on the rotating cases.

I used an Extreme tumbler for years. Then I decided to upgrade the drive and roller system. I found a fellow who was working on the project, but he decided to go another route. So I jumped at this.

IMG_2555.jpg

I can fit two of the drums from my Extreme unit on the rollers. So if I have a lot to clean, I can run both drums. This gives me a capacity of 30#’s of brass at once. The motor is a 1/3HP unit.

Good job!
beautiful work, congratulations! mine was a carnival joke in comparison...

Reactions: 6MT
Why would any of care about cleaning the inside of the case? It's zero benefit and creates more work (lubricating the case mouth)

Why would any of you care about cleaning primer pockets? To get any benefit you'll need to uniform them which cleans them where it matters anyway.

And then you have to deal with straining pins and making sure they don't clog flash holes and/or case mouths.

Make it make sense LOL

Reactions: Herb Stoner
Why would any of care about cleaning the inside of the case? It's zero benefit and creates more work (lubricating the case mouth)
Because the inner of the case clean permit me to view some crack starting...
I lube the case mouth when I'll sizing it.

Why would any of you care about cleaning primer pockets? To get any benefit you'll need to uniform them which cleans them where it matters anyway.
Because I would clean it with the toothbrush anyway, so it's better that the machine cleans it.

And then you have to deal with straining pins and making sure they don't clog flash holes and/or case mouths.
I choiced my pins with have the diameter a little bit more than the half diameter of the flash hole and the length more tha the diameter of the case mouth.
The diameter of the pins more than the half of the flash hole diameter prevents that the pins clog the flash holewhen is only or when are double pins.

Make it make sense LOL
Have a sense?LOL

Reactions: Herb Stoner
Hello folks!

At this moment I have the possibility to buy one from this 3 brand of tumblers, I list in order of price:
RCBS Rotary case cleaner
FA Platinum tumbler 7L
STM Extreme 17lbs

RCBS are the best value for the quality/price?

Or the best buy are the FA Platinum?

Or I go forward with the head low and buy the STM Extreme?

p.s.: by the STM Extreme have 2 versione, one low velocity for rock tumbling and another more fast for metal cleaning.
The low velocity can make the God job on the brass cleaning?

Mine is a rock tumbler
1715697697319.png

Attachments

• 1715697594008.png
    1715697594008.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hello folks!

At this moment I have the possibility to buy one from this 3 brand of tumblers, I list in order of price:
RCBS Rotary case cleaner
FA Platinum tumbler 7L
STM Extreme 17lbs

RCBS are the best value for the quality/price?

Or the best buy are the FA Platinum?

Or I go forward with the head low and buy the STM Extreme?

p.s.: by the STM Extreme have 2 versione, one low velocity for rock tumbling and another more fast for metal cleaning.
The low velocity can make the God job on the brass cleaning?

I have the Extreme 17 and it is sturdy and works well. It is the higher speed version designed for tumbling brass - Not sure how the low speed version would work for brass. Maybe e-mail the manufacturer for that info.

I have no experience with the FA or RCBS.