• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Run it or get the next size up?

--BLACKOUT--

Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2011
    Silver City, New Mexico
    Ok, just got my Seekins rings in and the bell sits literally a hair away from the barrel. Am I ok to run it like this? Or do I move up to the next size ring height. Sorry, no pics anytime soon, laptop took a shit.

Setup:

IOR 30mm tube, 50 objective
    Seekins 20moa base
    Seekins medium .87 rings
    Rock Creek m40 barrel contour

Advice... Thanks

Re: Run it or get the next size up?

How does it cheek up for you now? TO low then shure Go Higher why not ?

Are we(you) talking a peace Of paper or buisness card space in there now ? do you have a Butler creek or bikini cover ? are they on there now and if not will you have room for them ?

It should be FINE to run it as long as it not touching or holding the Scope from seating in the ringes properly..

A piece of paper won't fit under it but I can see light and it's not touching. No butler creeks, using bikini cover that I can cut. I have an adjustable cheek piece, so can cheek up good.

Yes sir, I agree. Scope sits too far back and when I moved it forward it started to touch. Thanks for your help ASM1, appreciate it.

You could put a dent or grind a notch in your objective...
    wink.gif

Thanks Scott! Would it be better to go with Seekins medium-highs instead of the high rings? Any opinions are appreciated.

Its good to have your scope as low as possible but lets not get silly about it. A couple of business cards is good and getting your bikini cover on without having to modify them is better still. What you don't want is them too high as if they are sitting on towers. As every set up is a little different then playing about a bit is just one of those things. I like to at least be able to slip my oily rag underneath.

Other than having the scope solidly fixed to the rifle the really important thing is to have it all so when you get behind the rifle your eye centers on the scope without having to fidget about. In days before scopes with parallax adjustment it was critical. Get it right and when you bring your rifle up into the aim it all should be right there; no twitching.

For rifles with adjustable stocks then it much easier, but many sporting rifles have stocks for iron sights. Then its worth getting that scope as low as you can and even then a cheek piece might well be the best option..

Scopes with fixed eye relief are best but otherwise set up for the magnification you are going to use most.

Some of the IOR's dont give you allot of room to move the scope around. I have been known to time a barrel flute strait up for more clearance and even mill a flat spot, but thats not practical for most
    smile.gif

The rings are in .05" increments, so the next height will set you perfect.

Glen, good to hear from you. I wasn't sure what height to go with. I'll get the medium-high ordered Monday. Hope SWFA can overnight them, gota go shootin next Saturday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jammer61</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, just got my Seekins rings in and the bell sits literally a hair away from the barrel. Am I ok to run it like this? Or do I move up to the next size ring height. Sorry, no pics anytime soon, laptop took a shit.

Setup:

IOR 30mm tube, 50 objective
    Seekins 20moa base
    Seekins medium .87 rings
    Rock Creek m40 barrel contour

Advice... Thanks
    </div></div>

low is good, unless you can't see through the scope or it dosn't fit your needs, caps or covers, rain, sleek,or snow, low is no go if you can,t see!

Next size up, espescially if you have an adjustable cheek piece.