• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Running out of windage

jLorenzo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
I have recently put a Arken in a Athlon 34mm cantilever 0 moa mount and when using a laser boresigher, appears to be pretty far to one side of the windage adjustment to get centered up. This being a cantilever I can't turn it around so I don't really have any other options right? I haven't shot it yet so well see what happens.

Something’s is off that should never happen. Have you ever shot this gun before? What mount and torque?

Two things could have affected you. A) Bore site sucked (most likely, they all do), B) your scope mount may not be lined upon receiver (happens, not often, but when I was young and stupid (wait I still am, well not young)). First do the bore sight check (look through bore at an object and make sure your crosshairs are also on that object), if that works, Check you scope mount to make sure it is sitting straight with tight screws. If all else fails drop the whole thing out the window and see if that fixed it (no, please do not do this!)

Reactions: lash and jLorenzo
Yeah I just wanted to get close to on paper, generally this boresight has worked for that. I am going to shoot it and see. Assuming my windage does need maxed out with zeroing, there isnt much I can do right? Try a new mount I guess? I almost never dial wind so as long as the scope picture isnt shadowed on one side I don't really care but it will bug me a little.

Yeah I just wanted to get close to on paper, generally this boresight has worked for that. I am going to shoot it and see. Assuming my windage does need maxed out with zeroing, there isnt much I can do right? Try a new mount I guess? I almost never dial wind so as long as the scope picture isnt shadowed on one side I don't really care but it will bug me a little.
if you need that much wind to zero something is wrong. the mount, the base, the scope, the entire action - one of them.

I actually have a Bartlien 6BR barrel that I have to shim the rear of the scope ring clamp to get it near zeroed for windage. Other than that, the barrel shoots great.

I used a piece of beer can folded twice and pounded flat. Fits perfectly under the ring clamp and does its job. Scope rail is part of the action and I’ve not had this issue using same scope and action with previous barrel.

It’s about a 6 mil adjustment. Never seen it before, but my redneck fix works like a charm.

Sometimes stuff happens, so use your head and adapt accordingly. But first take it to the range and barrel sight it so that you know what the problem is. That is, after you verify that the scope mount isn’t off somehow or mounted incorrectly.

I actually have a Bartlien 6BR barrel that I have to shim the rear of the scope ring clamp to get it near zeroed for windage. Other than that, the barrel shoots great.

I used a piece of beer can folded twice and pounded flat. Fits perfectly under the ring clamp and does its job. Scope rail is part of the action and I’ve not had this issue using same scope and action with previous barrel.

It’s about a 6 mil adjustment. Never seen it before, but my redneck fix works like a charm.

Sometimes stuff happens, so use your head and adapt accordingly. But first take it to the range and barrel sight it so that you know what the problem is. That is, after you verify that the scope mount isn’t off somehow or mounted incorrectly.
1715356767192.png

That's enough internet for today.

• Haha
Reactions: lash
Shoot it first. Laser bore sighters aren’t reliable.
I've not seen one worth a tinker's damn. Either ones that slot into the chamber like a cartridge or ones that insert into the muzzle.

I'm no expert but I just pull the bolt, look thru the bore/look thru the scope/adjust scope/rinse and repeat until you feel you are bore sighted well enough to shoot and get on paper.

I've done it with the gun in lead sleds and Tipton gun vise, but anymore its just bipods and some rear bags. Seems to work well enough.

Cheers

Reactions: lash and Rob01
I've not seen one worth a tinker's damn. Either ones that slot into the chamber like a cartridge or ones that insert into the muzzle.

I'm no expert but I just pull the bolt, look thru the bore/look thru the scope/adjust scope/rinse and repeat until you feel you are bore sighted well enough to shoot and get on paper.

I've done it with the gun in lead sleds and Tipton gun vise, but anymore its just bipods and some rear bags. Seems to work well enough.

Cheers
I’ve never had to do it differently. You should have seen a guy’s face one day at the range when I noticed that he couldn’t get a zero on his AR. I mean feet off the paper at 100 yards.

I broke the action, pulled the bolt. Set it on two bags and bore sighted it. Three shots later, he was good to go.

He was astounded and had no idea that could be done.

He’d always used a laser bore sight and a couple boxes of ammo to get even close.

• Haha
Reactions: Baron23
I have a Ruger 10/22 target model with bull barrel that was shooting right nearly off the paper at 50 yards. Used nearly all my windage adjustment just to get near center of target. Tried everything to figure out what the hell was wrong. Turns out, it was a Ruger manufacturing defect where the barrel threads in the receiver were cut off-center. There was even a post here on the Hide about it years ago from one of the barrel manufacturers. I could have sent it in to Ruger, but my solution was to use Burris Signature rings with the inserts to compensate for the windage error. Still shoots great to this day with the Burris rings.