• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Russian Capture K98 kit

Re: Russian Capture K98 kit

Watch out on Ebay - lots of repro tat sold as "original"....especially cleaning rods, sight hoods, buttplates and safetys.

This is a good reference site for homework on old slings: http://www.rifleslings.com/

Nothing looks worse on your lovingly refurbished vintage/classic than cheap leather! Trust me, I found out the hard way....the main problems are either the totally inaccurate and badly made hardware or the low grade badly stitched/stained/sprayed leather.

Good original slings are really hard to find - but can be had if you take your time and are prepared to pay.

An alternative is to get a completely f*cked one or a post war Austrian sling (from somebody like Liberty Tree Collectors) and recycle the hardware. I've had a couple of repro's made by good saddle makers using this route. The difficult bit is matching the grade of leather and the cross hatching.

LeatherWorkshopsling003.jpg

LeatherWorkshopsling001.jpg

LeatherWorkshopsling002.jpg

This one is not perfect, theleather is a little "underweight". Being a little bit anal about these things
wink.gif
I'm having another go using Jon Moore at Moore Leather in the UK (he makes great repro stuff for the Enfields!)

Best scope caps I've found for the ZF39 are made by Ken Huddle in the States.

Reactions: camocorvette

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Best scope caps I've found for the ZF39 are made by Ken Huddle in the States. </div></div>

Any chance you have his contact information? I need a set for my SSR clone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DV - can't send you a PM.

Here's Ken's last email addy that I had:

[email protected]

he didn't used to have a website, I found him through a series of searches and his kit was pictured on another site. If I can find it again, I'll post a link.

EDITED

Here you go:

http://homepages.vvm.com/~histpart/optics.htm
</div></div>

Thanks! Didn`t know I had PM`s turned off. I`ll get in touch with him and see about getting a set of the covers- the set I got from a Gunboards vendor let alot to be desired quality wise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Watch out on Ebay - lots of repro tat sold as "original"....especially cleaning rods, sight hoods, buttplates and safetys.
</div></div>

You are correct, crap...

Well they will get me by until I can get the originals purchased.

Where's a good source for the slings? I can find the other parts OK...

This is the repro stuff- he DID say it was repro, I just failed to read in my excitement of owning a K98.

!B-ID2V!EGk~$(KGrHqN,!h8EzLhURebNBM7)f0JQcw~~_12.JPG

I don't know of anyone in particular that sells slings - original do come up on Ebay, you just have to be prepared to pay and read the notes so you don't end up with a dried and cracked or heavily oiled piece.

I ended up going down the repro route as above as I didn't want to spend $250+ on a good original.

Norway is a good place as they had shed loads of 98k's left there after the war - they converted them to 7.62mm and took off the sight hoods and cleaning rods so it is not too difficult to find those turning up on the auction sites.

But if you want to turn these things up, you could do worse than get the kettle (coffee) on, buy a pack of biscuits (cookies
wink.gif
) and start Googling.....it's how I uncovered some good places.

You have some connections over there!

If you do come across any links to good stuff let me know.

I see the difference on the repro cleaning rods, pretty obvious to the naked eye of a trained person, the slants, the pointed thread....the repro's don't have all that.

the 7.62 that they converted to was .30-06, not .308 ( which wasn't around in that time frame) and I have one. They milled a flat on the left side of the reciever for the new serial #, and lined out the original German serial #, and stamped the last 3 numbers of the SN on the bolt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AK Sgt Maj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the 7.62 that they converted to was .30-06, not .308 ( which wasn't around in that time frame) and I have one. They milled a flat on the left side of the reciever for the new serial #, and lined out the original German serial #, and stamped the last 3 numbers of the SN on the bolt.</div></div>

Initially to 30-06, yes......but then 7.62 later. Over here that is what seems most prevalent amongst the Norwegian 98k's you see.

ArcticLight - sure, I can let you know but drop me a PM if there is something specific you need.

So my parts arrived!!

I am actually QUITE pleased at the detail, the Wa stamps, and even the cleaning rod would have to stand TOUGH scrutiny as it has the right angles EXCEPT at the thread tip -

So now I have to age these things a bit, might go with some 600 wet dry sandpaper on the cleaning rod and I brought the sling and the turner saddlery conditioner to work so I can scrub it down....

I willk recommend anyone that gets a russian capture kit to go see this link on e-bay - the guy has good stuff!!

Pics to come tomorrow morning tho, I'm at work - no camera's allowed..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260801893109

Couple of pics...

The sling looks "New", but with some Turner Saddlery coating it's beginning to darken up.

Cleaning rod - right on.

Hood - has curved insides, doesn't feel flat against the sight base but it's late and I'm tired..

hood.jpg

sling3.jpg

The curved sides on the sight hood are designed to fit into corresponding slots on the lower part of the sight base, thus securing it in place.

When fitted the sight hood should not appear to have the lower ends splayed out, but should be parallel to the sight base.

The front sight hoods and slotted front sight base were only fitted on rifles from late 1939 but not all rifles had these fitted, even later in the war.

If your sight base doesn't have the slots I'd advise against fitting the sight hood (a) because it will not be secure and, being strong spring metal can esily come flying off if knocked and (b) the hood is likely to start chewing up your finish and/or the sight base itself.

If you really like the look, maybe your smith can cut the slots?

Here's what it looks like when the slots are there:

98kfrontsight003.jpg

Also look out for repro hoods, they are often made of thinner metal so, even when fitted, will rock back to front as they don't fill the slots out.

Yep no slots on my front sight, sigh....

I will have my smith cut them, it's not complete without the hood...in my eyes
smile.gif

FYI - the hoods are thick and strong from this kit - I'm still highly recommending this kit...:)

Rather than cut the original, one alternative may be to scout around for a front sight base that has then cut already? I think the original base will be soldered on?

I agree there are some key K98 signatures that make the rifle aesthetically (the sight hood, the cleaning rod, the sling through the stock and, for me, the "H" pattern milled front band/spring/rear band combo)

You may be right, my front sight is a blade in teh base, yours seems to be mounted on top of the base.

I'll do some checking, rather leave it original and for this rifle that probably means leaving the sight hood off.

frontsight.jpg

Your sight blade is correct.

I replaced my original with a Brownells one as it was shooting way high with the ammo I could get.

Unlike with my Enfields, finding a set of the original different sized blades for the Mauser has so far proved an impossible task
frown.gif

Thanks - Yeah the smith said they quit using it by 1943 to save steel.

The bolt face was either re-machined (Most likelyi) or this thing has never been fired.

But with the No-Go guage it closed, so he used a field guage and it did not - so it's at it's limit but safe to shoot he says - just load long...Most Russian captures probably are.