• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 6.5 creedmoor build.

Jrogers05

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2011
DAWSONVILLE, Ga
I am a noob, and want to build a intermediate range tactical/varmint stick

Thinking of starting with

Savage action
Manners T5A stock
A Krieger barrel 24"
Timney drop in trigger

I am looking for some input.

1. What calibers can I use that I wont have to change the bolt head.

2. CDI bottom metal reviews. Other than pricey mags!

Recommendations for glass. Been a Leopoldo fan for a longtime. USO/NF are a bit pricey right now ( have a new baby).

Just looking for some wisdom and input from y'all.

Thanks.

Re: Savage 6.5 creedmoor build.

CDI is top notch. there is no such thing as a cheap mag unless you keep the factory DBM and get some ratmags made. i know nothing about your caliber. i dont even know if its short action or long, but z71rat will make a low cost mag that will hold 10 or 15 if you want for the factory DBM in short action.

and actually AI compatible mags are decent priced from a few makers at $50 ish and there is a group buy going now a few sections down

Creedmoor is the .473 boltface (same as a .308/.243) If I were you I think I would buy the cheapest savage or stevens I could find with the correct boltface, then sell off the barrel and stock.

Savage also makes the LRP (heavier action with light accutrigger) in 6.5 creedmoor, which would be a good way to go if you are on a budget.

Good luck with your build and let us know how it turns out!

I had a custom 6.5 Creedmoor Savage with a Leupold Mark 4 on it and it was a laser. Can't go wrong with the savage. Look into Accurate Mag bottom metals if you want to save some money.

The Model 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor is also a great option. I've witnessed them shoot and it's a great out of box rifle.

My concern is I am only finding 1:8 twist barrels. I am not well versed in the bullet needs for this fun, and trying to learn. Would I not be better off with a longer spin if I wanted to shot the 140 gr stuff.

Just have always preferred the heavier bullets in my .308 I do not reload so it am going to be shooting box match ammo.

Not to to concerned with the price of mags. More concerned with quality and functionality.

Appreciate the input.

JR

The 8 twist will be perfect for the 140's. Heavier bullets require a tighter twist. The 123's seem to like the 8.5 or 9 twist. The AI mags will work perfect with the CDI. Good mags are not cheap, the good news is you will not be buying them every week. They last forever, almost.

What are the thoughts on bartline barrels. I have seen them all over here. Are they comparable to Krieger and some of the others. If not what does everyone recommend.