• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Savage Mk II BVNSXP-SR 22LR - WalMart Special

bsekf

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2019
Have been shooting this rifle for about a year and am quite happy. Rather than pillar bedding I want to use a barrel block and let the barrel and the action float. I do not want to cut up the Boyds All-in-one in case this pipe dream doesn't work. Anybody have a Mark II stock? I would prefer wood but might be able to make a tupper ware work. I even considered making a stock with laminated plywood.

How about some brilliant ideas.

Bill

@bsekf

I have a tupperware stock for the MK2FV. You’re welcome to it for the price of mailing it to you. I’d have to rustle up some sort of box for it first.

I’d be very interested in a photo essay on how you install a barrel block. Looks like you could pin one into the plastic stock and epoxy into the Boyds wood stock. Design of the block is of most interest.

Let me know if you want it

-john

Check out the link https://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek075.html I have found some 3/4 inch birch cabinet plywood and think I will try building a stock like this guy did. I have found a machinist who thinks he can machine the block. There is no tapper to the Mark II barrel so it is just a matter of boring a hole and then cutting the block in half to clamp on the barrel,. The trick is getting the hole in the center and then cutting it exactly in half and keeping everything concentric.

Take a look at your plastic stock and see if it could be cut out for the block without weakening it too much. I am afraid after cutting the stock it will be too weak and flex badly.... but I haven't looked at a plastic stock.

Bill

Bill

Thanks for the link. The plastic stock will definitely not work for that set up. Too thin.

That chunk of aluminum is fairly big. I’d be inclined to use a two piece set up rather than try lathe boring and then splitting. A decent mill would make short work of the job, especially if using a digitally controlled mill. Wouldn’t be cheap tho. Aluminum has gotten stupid expensive and machine time isn’t getting any cheaper. Interesting idea tho.

I figured a 2"x2"x3" block of aluminum or steel. Aluminum would be lighter, but I don't care. I've found some 3/4 hardwood plywood and figure I can build a stock for <$25. If I can find a machinist wo will build a block for <$50, I am going to go for it.

I figured a 2"x2"x3" block of aluminum or steel. Aluminum would be lighter, but I don't care. I've found some 3/4 hardwood plywood and figure I can build a stock for <$25. If I can find a machinist wo will build a block for <$50, I am going to go for it.
Sounds like a good plan. Long pole in the tent will be machine time and material cost. Here in the Kaw River Valley machine time runs about $90 an hour. I’d guess your block will run closer to $100 by the time it’s finished. Not excessive to run an experiment and satisfy curiosity.

That's why I think boring a .831(barrel diam.) hole and then cutting in half will be the least amount of machining. Cutting exactly in half will be the trick, might have to true up with a mill. I've got a couple of machinists thinking about it. I can drill the bolt holes and tap the bottom bolt holes. Since there is no recoil the size of the block can be smaller

Bill

Done it. There is some taper. I machined a block, mounted it in stock and bedded it with Devcon. Then I bedded the top.
Only have 40 rds through but it looks promising

20240201_173017.jpg

tell me about it...
6 shots at 50 yards. only one of those was a "flier" also sk rifle match.
I have my complaints with savage lately but grouping is not among them!

Attachments

• 20240526_204001.jpg
    20240526_204001.jpg
    803 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240525_012444.jpg
    20240525_012444.jpg
    592 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240524_193357.jpg
    20240524_193357.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 1