• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SBR 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun optics ???

busse9213

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2022
Houston tx
I am looking for some optic recommendations for my Shorty 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun build. I’m not partial to any brand. I just needed it to be extremely durable and repeatable somewhere around a 2 or 3 on the low end magnification and around 20 on the high. Definitely want FFP I would like to be able to somewhat be able to use the reticle on the lower end of the magnification. This will be a backpack/brush gun. so again durability and holding zero is a must.

I have a 6mm shorty with a Steiner T6Xi 3-18. It gets thrown in and out if the truck and SxS, always dusty, and has consistently been a great optic so far. Locking turrets, good controls, MSR2 essentially becomes little duplex especially with illum on at 3x. Not saying its light or small...but tough and good.

You didn’t define your budget. The night Force ATCAR 4-20 is pretty bulletproof. Of course there is the ZCO 4-20. I am sure the Vortex G3 has one too. Define the budget and we can be more specific.

NF NX8 2.5-20

Haven’t used it so this isn’t a recommendation. More like a “check it out” as it would seem to meet most of your desires.

Except for, depending on the chosen reticle, low mag reticle visibility without turning on illum. But you didn’t say illum or no illum in regards to ret visibility on low mag

The 2.5x20 is a good recommendation. It's on the heavy side but bullet proof. I liked mine so much I bought a 4x32 for my long action build.

NF NX8 2.5-20

Haven’t used it so this isn’t a recommendation. More like a “check it out” as it would seem to meet most of your desires.

Except for, depending on the chosen reticle, low mag reticle visibility without turning on illum. But you didn’t say illum or no illum in regards to ret visibility on low mag
I have one on my LMT. It's certainly not a bad option with a nice low end as well.

Reactions: carbonbased
I have a 6mm shorty with a Steiner T6Xi 3-18. It gets thrown in and out if the truck and SxS, always dusty, and has consistently been a great optic so far. Locking turrets, good controls, MSR2 essentially becomes little duplex especially with illum on at 3x. Not saying its light or small...but tough and good.
I had one of the ones Midway had as a blemished item in my cart and woke up the next day to it being gone. A good friend of mine has a T5xi and I liked it a lot

I have one on my LMT. It's certainly not a bad option with a nice low end as well.
At what low end mag does the reticle useable a buddy has the 4 to 32 ATACR I think and his bottom end is useless but it’s just a long range shooter so it doesn’t really matter. The rifle will definitely be capable of long range with hand loads but it’s first job 500 and under truck/ranch gun basically

At what low end mag does the reticle useable a buddy has the 4 to 32 ATACR I think and his bottom end is useless but it’s just a long range shooter so it doesn’t really matter. The rifle will definitely be capable of long range with hand loads but it’s first job 500 and under truck/ranch gun basically
I know you’re not directing your q to me, but the 2.5-20 has a .041 mil stadia thickness for the MIL-XT. That’s a lot thicker than the 4-32’s .036mil.

The Mil-C reticle either is .04mils or .033mils, depending if you go by the reticle webpage or by the older-looking pdf reticle manual. I’d call NF, but I would bet on .04mils.

Since the mag at 2.5 is much less than 4x, they still might be too thin without illum.

I own the 4-32x and agree that without illum it’s pretty invisible at 4x.

Reactions: FieldGaugeFailure
If you could find a used NF 4-16 Atacr sub-$2k, then look for their Mil-R reticle at .05mil stadia thickness. Has a locking elevation too.

Might not be low enough mag for you.

What's more important, 2x on the low end or 20x on the high end?
The only scope that has a mag range close to that is the NX8 2.5-20x50.

When you say you want the reticle to be usable on the lower end of the mag range what does that mean?
Close range hunting in dark woods or jus the ability to take a shot quickly at close-ish ranges?

When you say you want the reticle to be usable on the lower end of the mag range what does that mean?
Close range hunting in dark woods or jus the ability to take a shot quickly at close-ish ranges?
The 2 to 20 are just ballpark number it can be more or less and generally it will stay Zoomed in a little bit say it it’s a 2 1/2 power then it might be on 4 1/2 but mostly with the ability to throw up and take quick shots

Better start with barrel length and velocity - work backwards.

My 12” 6.5CM is t-sonic at 880Y shooting factory 140 Bergers.

My rifle is a switch barrel so I left my 3.5-26x on it, but an LPVO will be plenty.
I’m wanting to try some 120 monos just worried they might not have enough velocity to expand fast enough I would like to shoot the 140s but the 120s will help me recuperate some of that lost velocity

It's "kind" of useful for shooting. It's going to depend on distance you're reaching out to for the most part. I wouldn't use the bottom end for shooting, just for scouting/spotting (which it is great for, and how I use it). I use an offset RMR for if I have to shoot close.

Where the wide bottom end works best is when I'm getting rudimentary ranges while in stand. I have an Impact mounted above the scope, and while I'm scouting, I will pan around on lowest mag, and get rough readings of ranges of areas within the terrain. This is incredibly useful for if I need to make a quick shot in an area without given time to range it exactly. I'll spot a yote on a hill that I ranged earlier before starting the call, so I know that hill is ~270, and I can put a rough hold quickly should it look like it is going to get spooked and wander off.

Since the mag at 2.5 is much less than 4x, they still might be too thin without illum.

They are quite thin, and the illumination isn't exactly daylight bright. I can see the reticle, but it's too tiny to be very useful in variable conditions, which is about 25% of my hunting.

Last edited:
Reactions: carbonbased
The 2 to 20 are just ballpark number it can be more or less and generally it will stay Zoomed in a little bit say it it’s a 2 1/2 power then it might be on 4 1/2 but mostly with the ability to throw up and take quick shots
Well, the Razor 1-10x (I own this) has got friggin’ nuclear-bright illum and at Eurooptic you can get 12% off right now which brings you down to $2200. You could call to see if that’s their best offer.

Does illum have to work at dusk/dark woods or during the day?

Man, 2-20x, usable reticle in daylight at low power, and under $2k is, uh, quite the ask.

March makes an FX 1-15x but it’s $2700-$3000 and I’m not sure about the reticle visibility in daylight…was this their dual SFP/FFP model? I’m a little busy and can’t look it up right now.

My rifle is a switch barrel so I left my 3.5-26x on it
Got a Henny on that?

Reactions: SkyScrapin
I’m wanting to try some 120 monos just worried they might not have enough velocity to expand fast enough I would like to shoot the 140s but the 120s will help me recuperate some of that lost velocity
I've done the light bullet short barrel thing. The problem is, the bullet doesn't generate enough resistance to get the velocity you would expect. Mid-weight bullets like the 130s in 6.5CM or 155s in 308win do exceedingly well.

Copper monos might generate higher pressure generating better velocity numbers. Haven't tried them.

Got a Henny on that?
Yes

DSC06640.jpeg

I've done the light bullet short barrel thing. The problem is, the bullet doesn't generate enough resistance to get the velocity you would expect. Mid-weight bullets like the 130s in 6.5CM or 155s in 308win do exceedingly well.

Copper monos might generate higher pressure generating better velocity numbers. Haven't tried them.
That great to know I appreciate it

Yeah, the old Gen 1 SRS doesn't give a lot of tripod mounting options and honestly I don't think I've ever shot it off tripod. It is super well balanced and handy with a 16.5" 6.5x47L barrel. The 18" .338LM is a bench clearer.

Reactions: cdq8047
Yeah, the old Gen 1 SRS doesn't give a lot of tripod mounting options and honestly I don't think I've ever shot it off tripod. It is super well balanced and handy with a 16.5" 6.5x47L barrel. The 18" .338LM is a bench clearer.
I use a RRS Vyce to balance my 16in DTA just in front of the trigger guard… and my 16in barrel is a straight 1.250in contour

I agree with Beet here, we need a bit more info. You only mentioned this is going to be a backpack/brush gun, so what does that mean to you. As SkyScrapin mentions above, his 12" 6.5 Creed goes transonic just before 900 yards (and that's with his atmospherics, depending on where you live, your cartridge, barrel, etc. you could be/likely will be different). As a general rule, trying to get a scope that can do everything (like a 2.5-20) ends up having its compromises, if you're okay with a somewhat tight eyebox, finicky DOF and parallax the NX8 2.5-20 is a really good option, but you really don't need more than 15x at the ranges you'd be shooting unless you need to PID a jackalope's tines. You also didn't mention weight, as a backpack/brush gun I would think you'd want something a bit lighter which really narrows down your options. For $2k and under consider the NF ATACR 4-16x42, the Steiner T6Xi 3-18x56 (pretty heavy but great scope), the Burris XTR IIIi 3.3-18x50, the Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18x44, the Delta Stryker 3.5-21x44 and of course the aforementioned NF NX8 2.5-20x50. Except for the Steiner these will all be under 30oz. Also check out the new Steiner H6Xi 2-12x42 with their soon to be released Mil reticle as 12x gives you more than enough to do what that rifle is capable of doing. Lots of different options, when we know more about your intended purposes for this rifle we can help narrow things down a bit.

Reactions: SkyScrapin
I agree with Beet here, we need a bit more info. You only mentioned this is going to be a backpack/brush gun, so what does that mean to you. As SkyScrapin mentions above, his 12" 6.5 Creed goes transonic just before 900 yards (and that's with his atmospherics, depending on where you live, your cartridge, barrel, etc. you could be/likely will be different). As a general rule, trying to get a scope that can do everything (like a 2.5-20) ends up having its compromises, if you're okay with a somewhat tight eyebox, finicky DOF and parallax the NX8 2.5-20 is a really good option, but you really don't need more than 15x at the ranges you'd be shooting unless you need to PID a jackalope's tines. You also didn't mention weight, as a backpack/brush gun I would think you'd want something a bit lighter which really narrows down your options. For $2k and under consider the NF ATACR 4-16x42, the Steiner T6Xi 3-18x56 (pretty heavy but great scope), the Burris XTR IIIi 3.3-18x50, the Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18x44, the Delta Stryker 3.5-21x44 and of course the aforementioned NF NX8 2.5-20x50. Except for the Steiner these will all be under 30oz. Also check out the new Steiner H6Xi 2-12x42 with their soon to be released Mil reticle as 12x gives you more than enough to do what that rifle is capable of doing. Lots of different options, when we know more about your intended purposes for this rifle we can help narrow things down a bit.
Yes, sir I agree with you. I like the Steiner as well. I didn’t mention weight because the purpose behind the backpack gun was not the weight but the length. obviously I don’t want the heaviest of scopes, but the main goal was length. I’m leaning towards the Leopold 3 x 18 or the Steiner 3 x 18 probably the Steiner, I like the locking/capped options from those two as well. I live in the middle of nowhere, but I did get to drive to College Station today. Look at the Steiner and the Leopold.

You might wanna check the Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44
Should be close enough to what you're looking for and you can get one sub $2k depending on the reticle

Last edited:
I am looking for some optic recommendations for my Shorty 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun build. I’m not partial to any brand. I just needed it to be extremely durable and repeatable somewhere around a 2 or 3 on the low end magnification and around 20 on the high. Definitely want FFP I would like to be able to somewhat be able to use the reticle on the lower end of the magnification. This will be a backpack/brush gun. so again durability and holding zero is a must.
I just bought a NF 5.5 x 22 at camera land for 1.499 new heavy also but solid and 100 moa